1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so excited. got the swift spring.
The next step is installation.

I asked 2 body shops.
1. $300. around 2 hours. and alignment 2 weeks later.
2. $400. around 3 hours. do alignment after installation, and and alignment 2 weeks later

I am living in New Jersey.
Is this price reasonable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually alignment is $80. ($60 with coupon).
i.e. installation aloneis around $220 to $260.

And the only thing I am worried about is "Do they (auto shop) really know how to do it?"
Performance shops are far away from my home.

Thanks 91CRXTC.
long island is kind of far from here too. :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
OMG would a dealer seriously do this?
I mentioned springs to the mechanics at one of my clients offices (GM dealer) and they flipped out at the idea! Some of them even have shops on the side, and wouldn't touch modifying a car in such a way.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
OMG would a dealer seriously do this?
I mentioned springs to the mechanics at one of my clients offices (GM dealer) and they flipped out at the idea! Some of them even have shops on the side, and wouldn't touch modifying a car in such a way.
No, your Honda Service Department is not going to do this. I wouldn't even make an inquiry. From their stand point, you are negatively affecting the factory suspension with potential warranty issues - which is not entirely true. But non-the-less, not something they would do.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
i was refearing to the alignment...
then again i guess if they wouldnt install them might not touch em.
Yea most likely.
Once you start mod'n you are going to be going elsewhere for things. Put A CAI and having issues, going to have to figure it out yourself or go to another shop. Lowering springs, going to pretty have to go to another shop. Exhaust, and having issues, again - figure it out yourself or go to another shop. The Honda Service department will only service Honda OEM stuff - at least that is my experience.

Keep your original parts.. You may need them.. At least until your warranty runs out. Some service departments can actually get pretty eh anal about mods on a warrantied car.

·
Registered
664 Posts
you live in jersey too? there's plenty of shops around here that do spring installs. and if you go to firestone to get your alignment, you pay $120 and you get unlimited alignments as long as you own the car

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow. $120 for unlimited alignments.
ok. I will try firestone too.

They are some body shops in NJ like PepBoys, Good Year, STS and some locals.
But, the performance shops are far away.
I need to do it quitely without my wife knows.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Dam.. I thought maybe something was different for foreign vs domestic dealers or something.. didn't expect so, though.

I have no idea how to find a good shop or alignment place. I'm sure most are capable.. I'd just like the best for such a new vehicle.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
It's a relatively easy job can probably do it yourself, just lift the rear, put on stands, remove wheels, drop the shocks and you should be able to swap the springs. Then use a jack to get the shocks back up and mounted, put wheels back on and your good to go.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to. I keep getting stuck on all the instructions that say to be sure to tighten all the bolts back to factory specs. Otherwise, I've got it down..
I've only worked on old cars, and tight was good enough for me. I'd rather do it by the book this time.. (w/out purchasing the book :D)

·
Registered
664 Posts
It's a relatively easy job can probably do it yourself, just lift the rear, put on stands, remove wheels, drop the shocks and you should be able to swap the springs. Then use a jack to get the shocks back up and mounted, put wheels back on and your good to go.
Yea u can do it yourself too. Just make sure u get a torque wrench and u can rent a spring compressor from somewhere before starting

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Around Socal the price seems to be 150-250 for springs installation. I asked an aftermarket-friendly Honda dealer, though, and they were asking 500. No way I'm gonna spend 4 times the price of the spring for labor.
150-250 is about right - a custom/speed shop will be more towards the 250 mark, but you get (potentially) a lot more expertise. 500?? nope - not realistic...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.