Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many folks have commented that they do not like the OEM supplied Dunlop and Bridgestone tires that come on the CRZ. Some have replaced these tires immediately, upon buying their new CRZ, and others are planning to replace them before they wear out to improve some aspect of performance or style.

So the question to be addressed here is, "How much are these new tires actually going to cost me?"

Over the years I have bought a warehouse full of tires for the various cars I have owned. For the sports cars that I have owned, I have usually bought the highest performance tires in an effort to provide the highest level of grip for my cars, even though most of these tires live's were spent driving in a straight line on the street and very little showing off their strong suits on the race track or autocross. I am now questioning the wisdom of my choices.

These high performance, high grip tires typically lasted me less than 20,000 miles and in some cases as little as 8,000 miles, at a typical installed cost of $600 to $800 per set. On a per mile basis these high performance tires cost me between $0.03/mile to $0.10/mile. This was very costly indeed, especially compared to non high performance tires that I have put on my lower performance vehicles that lasted as long as 50,000 miles and cost me as little as $500/set which works out to $0.01/mile.

So as you can see from my example, one set of tires can cost as much as ten times as much as another, based on their original cost and how long they will last. And this is nothing new.

But now that I have become more economy minded about my car's performance, instead of souly performance minded, I have come to recognize that another cost of tires is how much they cost in terms of lower fuel economy. Consider this, if a low rolling resistance tire increases your fuel economy by 5% to 10% compared to a wider, stickier high performance tire, the wider tire may be costing you an additional $388 in fuel expense over the life of the tires.

Here is how I calculated the cost of a set of tires: Let's say you can get 40 mpg from the low rolling resistant 40,000 mile life tire. Then, you replace this tire with a 20,000 mile, high performance tire in a larger size that, lets assume, costs you $600/set. These stickier tires may cost you 10% in fuel economy, so you end up at 36 mpg.

Over the life of the low rolling resistant tire (40,000 miles) you have to buy 2 sets of the high performance tires and you end up having to buy an additional 111 gallons of gas (at $3.50/gallon is going to cost you $388 more in fuel). And then, add the cost of a second set of 20,000 mile high performance tires and the net result is that switching to wider stickier tire is going to cost you about $1000 more over 40,000 miles.

Now as a modder, $1000 is really not all that much money, but it is a consideration that you should make when selecting the performance aspects of your tire choice.

· Registered
260 Posts
I was thinking of that too. For me, I would rather sacrifice performance on this car and stay with a low rolling resistance, high mileage, low weight tire than go for performance, as I'm not going to be doing mountain runs, autocross or track days in it. Thats what my 370Z (track days) or my wife's Z4 (mountain runs) is for.

I wish they published tire weights, to also help in deciding.

· Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of that too. For me, I would rather sacrifice performance on this car and stay with a low rolling resistance, high mileage, low weight tire than go for performance, as I'm not going to be doing mountain runs, autocross or track days in it. Thats what my 370Z (track days) or my wife's Z4 (mountain runs) is for.

I wish they published tire weights, to also help in deciding.
You can find tire weights on tire rack site when you click on the link that says "specs"

You will find OEM size tires ranging in weights from 18 to 23 pounds.

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
TCroly,
Excellent write up. Thanks for the contribution...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.