Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

How many years has your under hood battery survived between replacements?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 8.3%

Votes: 5 20.8%

Votes: 7 29.2%

Votes: 3 12.5%

Votes: 1 4.2%

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many have discussed lately under hood battery replacement and how long the batteries last. Please answer the poll.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Still on the original, 2012 my. I've only ever replaced one battery over the years, should it be done as a part of standard servicing or do the age out regardless of mileage (62500 miles as of yesterday)

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the car acts odd (Lots of warning lights) or fails a load test. No reason to replace unless failed.

Still on the original, 2012 my. I've only ever replaced one battery over the years, should it be done as a part of standard servicing or do the age out regardless of mileage (62500 miles as of yesterday)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sure acts strange as the battery goes out. (Guess there is not enough juice to boot the computers)
The IMA battery can be full yet no joy. Will not even bump start in 2 gear. Sometimes just waiting
a bit will allow me to start the car. On my 2nd replacement since 2011.

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CR-Z will start with a failing under hood battery till it does not. It can get to a much lower capacity than cars with conventional systems and it will go from working to not quickly. A trick some have used is turn on the head lights then turn them off then try to start but it will only start once. Others have said put car in accessory to get some juice from IMA into the under hood. Not sure if that would work in all situations. Best Idea is to have a LI-ION jump starter. You need a minimum of power to start the starting process.

Sure acts strange as the battery goes out. (Guess there is not enough juice to boot the computers)
The IMA battery can be full yet no joy. Will not even bump start in 2 gear. Sometimes just waiting
a bit will allow me to start the car. On my 2nd replacement since 2011.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've only had my car 2 years and believe the battery was changed 3 years ago. I had the standard problems for the first 18 months and bought a little jump starter which I had to use 2 or 3 times. Once, the wife had to push start so I bought a replacement battery (6 or so months ago.) Only fitted it last week as we have been unable to go out.

Reactions: Spdbump

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
720 Posts
Replaced a few weeks ago from a mid 2017 battery, meaning the previous owner's batt lasted 3 years too

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
720 Posts
I replaced mine when I bought my CR-Z about half a year ago. The original battery was still in it after almost 9 years. I replaced it as a precaution.
Did you ever test the old one?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Did you ever test the old one?
No, but I do know it wasn't that great anymore. The day I got the new 12V battery delivered, I checked all exterior lights while the old 12V battery was still in the car, since I just got the car. After turning all exterior lights on for a minutes, the old 12V battery died. I should have turned on the enigine of course, but I think this was a clear sign my old 12V battery was bad. Luckily, I already planned on replacing it and the new 12V battery was sitting next to the car. So I just replaced it immediately.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Owned my car for ten years. Just replaced the battery the second time. I checked back and found it was 5 years ago for the first replacement, so 5 years is all I get.

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like from the comments and the poll, the average is about 5 years. I was at a shop and the mechanic looking at my car noticed the 2015 sticker on my battery and was surprised it was still working well. I think that is mostly due to having it on a charger maintainer when not being driven. I may at its next service proactively replace it.

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got my annual inspection last weekend and the 2015 under hood battery tested fine and was not replaced( But mine is always on the charger maintainer when car is not being used).

@DanL not sure why you would go though under hood batteries so frequently unless you are not driving the car enough to keep it charged or you have a habit of playing the In Car Entertainment in accessory with the engine not running. Another possibility is added on electrical accessories that are on when car is off.

To get more life out of your under hood battery I would take it for long continuous drives( 30 minutes) more often and never ever use the ICE with the engine off. If you have added on electrical accessories change how they are wired and only have the ones that have to be on when the car is off on and make the others switched with the ignition. Switch headlights to off when driving during the day especially if you have the HID headlights. This will extend their life and lessen the draw on the under hood battery in case you leave them on frequently.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts