Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am up for renewal next month and all the insurance talk is about people talking about price. I know some placed will charage a lot and give you crum service while others chage a fair price with great service but up until now I nither had the money or a DD i cared enought about to go for anything but the cheepest I could get. So i would like everyone's input on YOUR EXPERIANCE with your insurance company. Not caring about how much you pay but how much you like dealing with them. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have had Geico for a good while now and have had nothing but good experiences with them.

Few years back i had a toyota mini van that a deer decided it liked so much it wanted a closer look, ripped up the front pretty good, next day called them and they had someone out next day to pick it up and i had it back in less than a week. Thats what i call service :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Call around and try speaking with a agent instead of just using online quotes.

Are you married?
Own a home?
Plan to bundle multiple polices (auto/home/life)?

Some companies like Amica or Liberty Mutual may be more expensive since they target couples who plan to check some or all of the above.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Call around and try speaking with a agent instead of just using online quotes.

Are you married?
Own a home?
Plan to bundle multiple polices (auto/home/life)?

Some companies like Amica or Liberty Mutual may be more expensive since they target couples who plan to check some or all of the above.
I dont care about price so much I care about quality experiance, if i cared about price I would just go shopping. What I want to know is how people like there insurance company and dantep67 gave a perfect example response to my question.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I use Commerce Insurance through my AAA agency. They are only in MA, NH & RI--so you might be able to use them, Eagle-f90--although this info will be less useful to forum members in other areas.

I have been with them since 2004.

In that time I have had a few claims:

-In 2005 my 1996 Honda Civic DX coupe was rear-ended by a 16 yo kid. I had rental coverage, and I think I ended up getting a rental car on my own & they reimbursed me (can't remember the details). Overall, I remember the process going fairly smoothly. I think it took about 1.5-2 weeks for me to get a check from Commerce Insurance for my claim. They ended up valuing my car for more than I had paid for it (I bought it used ~1.5 yrs before then), so overall I came out ahead in the deal.

-In 2005 I needed a windshield replaced--mine was cracked & needed to be replaced to pass MA annual inspection. It was super easy. I called them and they helped set up everything. They worked directly with the autoglass company, and I never saw a bill.

-In 2006 my 1996 Honda Civic EX coupe was hit by a cab driver in Boston. I was found "at fault" because I was changing lanes. I took the car to a body shop & got the estimate. I think I paid the bill & they reimbursed me within a few days of the repairs being done (maybe 1.5-2 weeks after the accident), minus my deductible. They made arrangements for me to get a rental car & be billed directly, so I didn't have to worry about that.

-The day after my car was hit, my rental car was broken into in Boston (parked on the street). Commerce was awesome. Basically I went to the police station, filled out the report, called Commerce to make the claim, went to the rental car place & got a replacement car, and then Commerce dealt directly with the rental car company for the claim (the burgler smashed the passenger side window). Their coverage covers rental cars; my agent always advises me not to pay for the extra coverage when renting cars since they already cover that when I'm driving.

-A few months after that my car was the victim of a flash-flood. This was the worst experience I've had with them (and overall, not that bad). The car wouldn't start (because it had been flooded), and I had had it towed to my house/driveway. I called Commerce ASAP. They said not to bother to have it towed anywhere until after the adjuster looked at it. It took them like a week to send an adjuster to look at the car. I asked if I should leave the car unlocked so he could look at it (since I was at work when he came; and it wouldn't run/had nothing in it anyway), and they said he wasn't allowed to touch it, so it didn't matter if it was locked or unlocked. Well, because there was no body damage, the adjuster called me at work when he was looking at the car, and was like, "Um, there's nothing wrong with this car." I explained that when I called to make the claim I said that the car had been in a flood. He said something like, "well, I can't tell that. Does it run? Why isn't it unlocked?" Grrrrr...so I left work in the middle of the day to meet him at my house & show him that indeed, it wouldn't run. Anyway, I ended up having to have it towed to a garage, and then it took time to diagnose it, and then they said they fixed it, but they didn't, and there were lots of back & forth discussions with Commerce, and in the end they totalled the car. The agent who called me to tell me how much they were going to offer me for the car totally low-balled me. He offered me almost $1,000 less than what they had given me for essentially the same car a year before, PLUS this car had lower mileage, more options, etc. So I fought with him & ended up getting almost $2k over his initial offer (again, more than what I'd paid for the car 1.5 years before). Even though that worked out in the end, everything took SO LONG--from the day the car flooded, until the day I got my check, was close to 6 weeks. I had rental coverage, but maxed it out & was having to pay for a rental car, which ate into my funds to get a replacement car. So I wish things had moved a bit faster.

I get a discount on my policy for being a member of AAA, and because I've been a customer for however many years (loyalty discount). I know they also offer discounts for things like combining your policy with a homeowners or renters policy. Even though I've had some frustration with them, overall, in the end things work out, and I've heard many horror stories from other people about their insurance companies, so I think in general they are pretty good.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.