Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated how do you feel about electric "turbo/super charger"? I think they benifit the engine, not as much as a "real" turbo or SC but more then n/a.

Now with that would it be better to have it on continueusly with a bleed off port for excess air, or have it set up to increase with rpms?

Or do you hate them completely? please give detailed info on why you like them or hate them.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
There has been some discussion on these prior to today.. check out:

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/aftermarket-crowd/2608-official-intake-thread.html#post22489 and the next dozen or so messages.

You were in on that thread then also.. and were positive about these things. Most of us think that they are a waste of time. They block airflow unless they are running.. and you can only run them for a few seconds... as they draw a huge amount of current. It is also possible that they would affect the IMA battery negatively depending on how they were wired.

Personally I think they are a waste of money.... and will hinder performance more than they help.

They are not designed to always run.. as they would probably overheat. Not to mention draining the battery. I doubt that you would need a bleed valve, because these things cant generate enough airflow to need it.

I read about one that seemed to be worthwhile sort of.. except it required EIGHT extra 12 volt batteries to be installed, and it was huge... and even then would only run for about 25 seconds. Wow.. the weight would sort of nullify the benefit....

if you have verifiable information stating otherwise, I would like to see it! Links and references please?

See:

A Review and Test: Electric Superchargers. - Boost Forum - j-body.org - the jbody organization

eBay Guides - ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGERS The real story

electric supercharger 3psi boost - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Anyone tried an electric supercharger?

Electric Supercharger "review video" - NewTiburon.com

4 out of 5 says it stinks in this review.. one moron says it works..
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Electric Supercharger

Electric turbocharger? - beyond.ca car forums community for automotive enthusiasts

These are about the only positive reviews I could find..

Thomas Knight Turbo Electric Supercharger - Tech Review - Turbo Magazine and this "ARTICLE" is listed as an ADVERTISEMENT.. so it is BS

This site also sell Guitars and Costumes.. obviously a reputable Automotive site! NOT!
http://http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Electric-Boost/A_111469/article.html

This sites for sell.. obviously very successful! NOT!
Electric Turbocharger | Reviews | Buyer's Guide

My ADVICE.. buy one... try it.. let us know what happened.. and I hope you don't destroy your engine by sucking in a bunch of broken plastic or something.

P.S. and most of the sites that sell these jokes also sell the "get 50 HP for $29.00" performance chips... Whatever!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when i did a search i didnt find anything for it so i figured id start a thread so sorry about the..... re-thread. I will look through the links shown, and see how i feel after but before hand does the battery (under hood) get charged from the IMA or from an alt.? either way it still gets charged, so if you were to have a split intake one line for n/a and one with the electric "turbo" which is wired to a switch so when activated it then produces the low psi for the amount of time desired then turned off, the battery can be recharged. No consant drain, and no restricted air flow from "turbo".

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The underhood battery is charged by the alternator. And sorry, but you'll get 0(!) PSI from one of those things.
do you have any info as to why a direct drive motor with propeller would not produce any psi if it has enough torque. now with a "snale" style "turbo" what you blow out is what you pull in, but with a direct blower it spins at a given speed and that produces a certain pressure and flow rate, which is why you would need a "blow off" valve to relieve the excess pressure/flow as to not over work or back pressure the blower.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
do you have any info as to why a direct drive motor with propeller would not produce any psi if it has enough torque. now with a "snale" style "turbo" what you blow out is what you pull in, but with a direct blower it spins at a given speed and that produces a certain pressure and flow rate, which is why you would need a "blow off" valve to relieve the excess pressure/flow as to not over work or back pressure the blower.
My info is with my experience as a former speed shop owner, tuner and mechanic.

To the bolded: no, just no. That's why there's a difference between the impeller (hot side) and compressor (cold side) fans. BIG differences.

There's just not enough volume being moved w/ the electric turbo/supercharger to produce any noticeable pressure. It may help with flow, but it won't make any pressure.

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Read it.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
With today's technology, the electrics just aren't feasible yet. Need smaller, more efficient electric motors with more torque and RPM... and smaller, more powerful, larger capacity batteries. Someday.. they might be good.. right now, probably not. Better off with Turbo or SC... but yes, much more expensive, but at least they WORK! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
With today's technology, the electrics just aren't feasible yet. Need smaller, more efficient electric motors with more torque and RPM... and smaller, more powerful, larger capacity batteries. Someday.. they might be good.. right now, probably not. Better off with Turbo or SC... but yes, much more expensive, but at least they WORK! :thumbsup:
Yep.

If you really* want to go electric turbo/supercharger, go to your local HVAC place and ask for a throwout squirrel cage fan. Make sure it's >2,000CFM. Hook that up to your intake and use a power inverter to plug it in.

*I'm not responsible if anyone does this.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok you guys are not into it I get it, was looking into a company called force flow out of Australia, they say they can produce 7percent more hp with their product, but it costs too much for me to get it even to experiment with. They also can't sell to the USA for some reason

So if getting a blower big enough to produce the few psi you could possibly get, how much amps does either battery have to use for the blower?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Moving forward, there has been work done in the area of* DC brushless motors that draw near 250amps and are much more efficient*.* These motors running axial flow blowers are known to create near 2-3psi. They are quite a bit more expensive, but it certainly shows the potential for electric superchargers in the near future."

From the eBay page

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The one unit I read about that actually did make some horsepower.. had three large electric motor on a gearing frame running a turbine.... that system required eight additional large 12 volt automotive batteries to be installed somewhere in the vehicle. And even then you could only run it for about 25 seconds before depleting the batteries. And it was not cheap!

All of the rest of the systems were a joke.

Are you really sure you want to continue looking at this idea? I suspect you are attracted to it because of perceived low cost? It isn't low cost, especially considering the small benefit you can get from it unless you spend major bucks.

A turbo would probably be your best bet if you want more power... should be able to do a decent turbo for two to three K... once the kits are out.

But play with the idea all you want... just be careful! Good luck! I probably wont post on this again.. unless something interesting pops up!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
"Moving forward, there has been work done in the area of* DC brushless motors that draw near 250amps and are much more efficient*.* These motors running axial flow blowers are known to create near 2-3psi. They are quite a bit more expensive, but it certainly shows the potential for electric superchargers in the near future."

From the eBay page
as I mentioned in a previous post.. current technology limits the usefulness of this concept, when looking at it from a cost vs horsepower perspective. Basically what Ebay said, right? Near future.. I would say ten to twenty years...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well if the low psi numbers won't do much if anything then I guess it's not worth it, funny how a site dedicated to future tech (hybrid) rights off this idea instead of getting behind it and seeing where it could go. I'm not giving up just yet, so anyone want to donate to my electric turbo test fund?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Well if the low psi numbers won't do much if anything then I guess it's not worth it, funny how a site dedicated to future tech (hybrid) rights off this idea instead of getting behind it and seeing where it could go. I'm not giving up just yet, so anyone want to donate to my electric turbo test fund?
We just recognize that this is not feasible for a reasonable cost / power return yet...

Have fun! there have been some highly educated, well funded engineers that have failed at this.. maybe you can turn it around! Good luck!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.