Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
This glove box does not have a lock. the handle flops up but the door remains in the shut position.
You're doomed. The handle/latch is not sold separately, so you need to replace the whole glovebox as a unit. I did find the little tab that broke off the latch, which is the cause of the problem, and was able to glue it back on (need a 2-part glue that's specifically made for bonding high-stress plastics.) I have a spare glovebox on hand, if/when my glue gets too stressed out.

Anyway, how to open the damn thing! There's a small hole up under the flapping handle; wiggle a small allen wrench in there while pulling slightly on the door. Mine opened in seconds, while others have messed with it for 15-20 minutes before it opened up. I open/close mine 2-3 or more times per day, so it does get a good workout, but jeeze-pete's, what happened to the design/quality of such parts? Don't expect such from Honda, but Chevy, yeah....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're doomed. The handle/latch is not sold separately, so you need to replace the whole glovebox as a unit. I did find the little tab that broke off the latch, which is the cause of the problem, and was able to glue it back on (need a 2-part glue that's specifically made for bonding high-stress plastics.) I have a spare glovebox on hand, if/when my glue gets too stressed out.

Anyway, how to open the damn thing! There's a small hole up under the flapping handle; wiggle a small allen wrench in there while pulling slightly on the door. Mine opened in seconds, while others have messed with it for 15-20 minutes before it opened up. I open/close mine 2-3 or more times per day, so it does get a good workout, but jeeze-pete's, what happened to the design/quality of such parts? Don't expect such from Honda, but Chevy, yeah....
Were you pulling on the handle while using the allen wrench? Were you pushing the allen wrench up? Thanks for your imput.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Were you pulling on the handle while using the allen wrench? Were you pushing the allen wrench up? Thanks for your imput.
Not pulling on the handle, but just open it wide enough to slip a small tool into the hole/gap. The handle has a little "finger" which grabs the tab (I suspect to be broken) on the latch and pushes downward on it to release it. So, the movement is exactly like opening the glovebox normally, with the aide of the allen wrench--pushed in the hole ahead of the handle's finger, as if the tool is an extension of the finger.... Best description I can come up with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried everyone's experiences, for my 2014 CRZ, to open the stuck glove box. None of those worked. This is what I did:
First: I removed the plastic top plate above the glove box from preventing damage. Then I used several flat head screwdrivers using wood dowels to pry open the glove box, on each side of the lock Second, while forcing the wood dowels with a hammer to the center of that lock.The final act to open the lock was to take another flat head screwdriver and tap hard on that lock to release it and the door snaps to open!!!!! I was able to clean out the glove box! I cleaned the lock and shut it. The lock is now jammed, as before, but the glove box is empty. I will ask for advise from my Honda Service Center (parts dept.) when I return for important service.

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Order a glove box from this web site https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts...ment_panel_garnish_passenger_side.html?pnc=11 . Less expensive than dealer . See below for price

I tried everyone's experiences, for my 2014 CRZ, to open the stuck glove box. None of those worked. This is what I did:
First: I removed the plastic top plate above the glove box from preventing damage. Then I used several flat head screwdrivers using wood dowels to pry open the glove box, on each side of the lock Second, while forcing the wood dowels with a hammer to the center of that lock.The final act to open the lock was to take another flat head screwdriver and tap hard on that lock to release it and the door snaps to open!!!!! I was able to clean out the glove box! I cleaned the lock and shut it. The lock is now jammed, as before, but the glove box is empty. I will ask for advise from my Honda Service Center (parts dept.) when I return for important service.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts