Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the last week or so, my drivers side hid bulb light output turned red (sign of bulb burning out) when I would turn the headlights on the driver's side would turn on fine and then begin to pulse and eventually failing completely. I got a replacement today and this is what I found when I removed the bulb. Is that an OEM bulb that was on it or some random hid bulb the previous owner had installed? I've never seen this happen before .

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,942 Posts
If socket is melted you may have a bad ballast on that side. Now you will need to replace the Ballast and the socket not sure if that is all one part. Others have mentioned that there is an arc over( and potential fire!!!!) issue if you run the car without a bulb in the socket and that can cause a melted socket.

One of two things happened previous owner ran it with no bulb and it melted or Ballast failed and melted it. You will never know what happened and what was replaced but you definitely have a melted socket you need to replace and possibly a ballast.

It appears RockAuto sells the sockets but make sure it is the right one for your HID equipped car. They do not appear to carry the Ballasts you may need to order from a Honda dealer or parts supplier.

So for the last week or so, my drivers side hid bulb light output turned red (sign of bulb burning out) when I would turn the headlights on the driver's side would turn on fine and then begin to pulse and eventually failing completely. I got a replacement today and this is what I found when I removed the bulb. Is that an OEM bulb that was on it or some random hid bulb the previous owner had installed? I've never seen this happen before .

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's definitely not good lol does it still mean I may have a bad ballast if after I put in the new bulb , it turned on like normal? It hasn't made that "pulse" the previous bulb did before it went out. I'll look into replacing the ballast and or socket though in case I will need it. I think it's two separate parts, socket and ballast . That's how the OEM setup was in my previous car.

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,942 Posts
OP replaced bulb and issue went away. His socket looked melted to me but it is working.

The ballast and ignitor are sold as one unit generally which you can buy for $60-$80 on Amazon or this Chinese company (Honda CR-Z Xenon Headlight Issue OEM Ballast Bulb Wires Igniter Control Unit Module Replacement) but I don't know how that will go shipping-wise. I never ordered from them but considered it, luckily it was just a bad light which I ended up ordering a replacement set from Diode Dynamics because standard shipping was 15ish days from oem xenon shop.

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks spdbump, yes I replaced bulb and it was working... For a bit. But it started flickering again. It was due to the melted socket not making connection with bulb. I was able to source the socket only and it's been working with zero issues since. But now I'm thinking of swapping the whole d4s hid for an oem d2s ballast/ignitor Bec I'm doing my hw on replacing the entire projectors to a bi xenon and osram cbb's

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
318 Posts
Thanks spdbump, yes I replaced bulb and it was working... For a bit. But it started flickering again. It was due to the melted socket not making connection with bulb. I was able to source the socket only and it's been working with zero issues since. But now I'm thinking of swapping the whole d4s hid for an oem d2s ballast/ignitor Bec I'm doing my hw on replacing the entire projectors to a bi xenon and osram cbb's
Nice. Let me know how it goes, I'm planning on doing the same.

I'd love to swap in a set of Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0 projectors, but I'm not sure if they'll even fit. Oem projectors are 2.5 inch. I think that the Morimoto Mini H1 are a more reasonable idea.

Reactions: Calijoker

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice. Let me know how it goes, I'm planning on doing the same.

I'd love to swap in a set of Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0 projectors, but I'm not sure if they'll even fit. Oem projectors are 2.5 inch. I think that the Morimoto Mini H1 are a more reasonable idea.
I'm waiting on a reply from TRS regarding info on the d4s-> d2s swap . I'm looking at the morimoto 4tl-r projectors. They have a 2.5 lens

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so they got back to me and they said that the 4tl-r projectors will work with the stock d4s setup we have soooooo I took the plunge and ordered the projectors and osram cbb's. I'm excited!!

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
318 Posts
Nice. Let me know how it goes. If you could take some before and after pics, I'd really appreciate it!

Reactions: Calijoker

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue and replaced the igniter and it worked for 1 year - now it's melted again! Going to try replacing both the igniter and the ballast this time

1 - 12 of 12 Posts