Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Hot CR-Z will be a hybrid

16K views 54 replies 33 participants last post by  completewally 
#1 ·

Hot CR-Z will be a hybrid

"Honda R&D chief Tomohiko Kawanabe has confirmed that the firm is working on a high-performance CR-Z hybrid.

In an exclusive interview with Autocar, Kawanabe admitted that development work on the more powerful two-door has started, and that — contrary to earlier reports — it will keep its IMA hybrid system.

“It’s true: we are working on a more powerful CR-Z,” he said. “Our problem with the car as it stands is that it looks very good, but it doesn’t have the performance some customers expect.”

Autocar’s sources suggest that Honda might turn to a turbocharged 1.6-litre engine for the new CR-Z, but Kawanabe refused to confirm this.

"The decision on the engine hasn’t been made,” he said. “Turbocharging is an option, but a high-compression petrol engine would work better in tandem with a hybrid assist system.”

It is highly likely that the faster CR-Z will use Honda’s next-generation IMA system, which will appear first in the US-market Civic Hybrid next year.

Featuring lithium ion batteries, the new IMA will be capable of producing twice as much power as Honda’s nickel-metal hydride system, without requiring a larger battery.

A more sophisticated coupling should also allow it to fully disengage from the engine during brake energy regeneration (something the current IMA system can’t do), allowing it to recapture more kinetic energy to recycle as electric power.

The problem for the CR-Z’s performance will be Honda’s efficiency targets. “It will not be acceptable for the new car to be less fuel efficient than the current one,” Kawanabe said. “The CR-Z must deliver low CO2 emissions, as well as be fun to drive.”

That being the case, a combined petrol-electric power increase to 160bhp is likely, delivered without compromising fuel efficiency thanks to that more powerful hybrid system.

Matt Saunders"

Full Article At: Hot CR-Z will be a hybrid - Autocar.co.uk

Wow, more power and same fuel efficient!!?? Is it going to replace the current CR-Z? Although some are expecting it to be just a "Type-R" version of CR-Z, now I think it's going to be a MMC or even a next generation.

See less See more
#6 ·
Not sure what to feel... I'm glad they're not willing to compromise on the efficiency goal, though, and I wouldn't mind some more power from time to time, but the price was also really really attractive to me. If this bumps the CR-Z up several grand, what new competition would it face?

#7 ·
Apart from our resale value going down because we dont have the fast CRZ and just the slow one. As well as honda treating the current crz program as a mistake or a trial and error situation i just kinda feel used that i bought into their new hot hatch.

It would be great for them to upgrade us at least to a Li io battery and a remap for a special price to bump us up to the next crz and take care of us as customers.

Somehow though i highly doubt that. I just hope that our generation doesnt turn into the bastard generation no one wants. like the 7th gen civic.

#8 ·
Always the chance one take with buying a 1st run vehicle. A lot of feedback and reviews hit the manufacturer and... oops there it is.

But agree, if it ends up being possible, a Li retrofit and remap to use that other 50% of the IMA at a discounted cost would be an interesting option.

#12 ·
This is precisely why I don't buy Gen 1's. It's good to see though if there is going to be a souped up CR-Z it was the way I thought it would be four months ago.:pP:

I am sure there will be someone or some way to upgrade the battery and I think a remap of the engine will be doable but the article talks about higher compression and what not, which is also doable but will be costly.

#10 ·
but most of you guys first group of CR-Z owners are very much enjoying your newly CR-Z.
I almost bought one, due to delivery issues I back out.
I am still interested buying one today because the gas prices are going up like crazy here in my area.
hey will there be a shortage of CR-Z from Japan in the next few months?

#11 ·
interesting article... just read this on TOV and was gonna post it here... with more power comes more revs?? :vtec: i hope so... i'll officially be sold on a CR-Z if this is the case... i liked the feel of the CR-Z that i test drove, some time ago... even the power was ok... i even bet if i had one i could push the mpg numbers up quite a bit...

we'll see what happens :popcorn:

#18 ·
It will be quite a trick if they can keep the same fuel economy and emission and provide 160 HP. If that can be achieved, I will be first in line at my dealer:thumbsup:

Truly, my only disappointment in the current CRZ is that it was a carry over of the Insight IMA system combined with a larger engine, resulting in a bit more performance and a bit less fuel economy. But if you can give me more performance and the same fuel economy, then you have me excited enough to trade.

#21 ·
Pryor to this post we all loved our cars. I still do. We are in a time where everything changes ....and changes quickly. Computers TV.s ipods and cars. I got a great, fun car, cheap. It's what was out when I wanted a car. When I'm tired of my Z I'll shop for something else. I doubt it will be a faster CRZ. Perhaps it will be an S3000 or that new Lexus? For now I love my CRZ...a lot. I would have been pissed if they lowered the price of the car I own. All they did was change it.
Wow getting older you grow up I'm impressed with my outlook.

#28 ·
This is where come down. I'd love for Honda to add a high milage HF version to the lineup- more ima, less internal combustion engine, taller 6-speed MT gears- and a 50+ EPA rating.

On the other end of the spectum, for those wanting more power, a 'SI' with more power.

This is exactly what they do with the civic lineup - but of course they sell zillions of them and as such they can support more variants.

#27 ·
Thinking about a 160 HP CRZ, that would be an increase of 32 HP or 25% more power than the current CRZ. While such an increase would be very welcome. It really will not turn the CRZ into a pavement screecher. If we are seeking to create a true performance version, I say dam the fuel economy, lets have 200+ HP.

All a 160 HP hybrid CRZ does really is to render our 122/128 HP cars unnecessary.

#30 ·
can always trade-in for the next model but as somebody said, the value of our car will have gone down and won't get as much for trade in.

we'll see when it gets released. the price of this version might be higher than ours too so we'll just have to wait and see.

#33 ·
Like I said before, I think in order for the CR-Z to be competitive and stay in existence it needs to be up graded. With straight gasoline engined powered vehicles coming out that are more powerful and better fuel economy than the CR-Z not to mention more practical it will be something that has to happen.

Just to throw another stone into the lake; MINI is coming out with it's own two seat sports car which will make the two seater market even tighter.

#36 ·
my guess is that the "hotter" version will be an "Si" and no way Honda will make this new power before MMC. Look at the EP3 Si, everyone complained about its lack of power (among other things) but honda didnt add 40hp until FMC.

#37 ·
I bought this car because 124HP fits my needs perfectly and tax and insurance wise it makes it affordable , more HP (I never owned a car with more HP) why ? more tax , more insurance. I don't need that so I will remain happy with my 1st gen and it will not devaluate because not everyone is hung up over power.
Besides I have never seen the tail lights of another car when launching from the traffic lights. Yet ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.