Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hot CR-Z will be a hybrid

"Honda R&D chief Tomohiko Kawanabe has confirmed that the firm is working on a high-performance CR-Z hybrid.

In an exclusive interview with Autocar, Kawanabe admitted that development work on the more powerful two-door has started, and that — contrary to earlier reports — it will keep its IMA hybrid system.

“It’s true: we are working on a more powerful CR-Z,” he said. “Our problem with the car as it stands is that it looks very good, but it doesn’t have the performance some customers expect.”

Autocar’s sources suggest that Honda might turn to a turbocharged 1.6-litre engine for the new CR-Z, but Kawanabe refused to confirm this.

"The decision on the engine hasn’t been made,” he said. “Turbocharging is an option, but a high-compression petrol engine would work better in tandem with a hybrid assist system.”

It is highly likely that the faster CR-Z will use Honda’s next-generation IMA system, which will appear first in the US-market Civic Hybrid next year.

Featuring lithium ion batteries, the new IMA will be capable of producing twice as much power as Honda’s nickel-metal hydride system, without requiring a larger battery.

A more sophisticated coupling should also allow it to fully disengage from the engine during brake energy regeneration (something the current IMA system can’t do), allowing it to recapture more kinetic energy to recycle as electric power.

The problem for the CR-Z’s performance will be Honda’s efficiency targets. “It will not be acceptable for the new car to be less fuel efficient than the current one,” Kawanabe said. “The CR-Z must deliver low CO2 emissions, as well as be fun to drive.”

That being the case, a combined petrol-electric power increase to 160bhp is likely, delivered without compromising fuel efficiency thanks to that more powerful hybrid system.

Matt Saunders"

Full Article At: Hot CR-Z will be a hybrid - Autocar.co.uk

Wow, more power and same fuel efficient!!?? Is it going to replace the current CR-Z? Although some are expecting it to be just a "Type-R" version of CR-Z, now I think it's going to be a MMC or even a next generation.

· Registered
297 Posts
Not sure what to feel... I'm glad they're not willing to compromise on the efficiency goal, though, and I wouldn't mind some more power from time to time, but the price was also really really attractive to me. If this bumps the CR-Z up several grand, what new competition would it face?

· Registered
1,390 Posts
Apart from our resale value going down because we dont have the fast CRZ and just the slow one. As well as honda treating the current crz program as a mistake or a trial and error situation i just kinda feel used that i bought into their new hot hatch.

It would be great for them to upgrade us at least to a Li io battery and a remap for a special price to bump us up to the next crz and take care of us as customers.

Somehow though i highly doubt that. I just hope that our generation doesnt turn into the bastard generation no one wants. like the 7th gen civic.

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
Apart from our resale value going down because we dont have the fast CRZ and just the slow one. As well as honda treating the current crz program as a mistake or a trial and error situation i just kinda feel used that i bought into their new hot hatch.

It would be great for them to upgrade us at least to a Li io battery and a remap for a special price to bump us up to the next crz and take care of us as customers.

Somehow though i highly doubt that. I just hope that our generation doesnt turn into the bastard generation no one wants. like the 7th gen civic.
Always the chance one take with buying a 1st run vehicle. A lot of feedback and reviews hit the manufacturer and... oops there it is.

But agree, if it ends up being possible, a Li retrofit and remap to use that other 50% of the IMA at a discounted cost would be an interesting option.

· Registered
136 Posts
but most of you guys first group of CR-Z owners are very much enjoying your newly CR-Z.
I almost bought one, due to delivery issues I back out.
I am still interested buying one today because the gas prices are going up like crazy here in my area.
hey will there be a shortage of CR-Z from Japan in the next few months?

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
interesting article... just read this on TOV and was gonna post it here... with more power comes more revs?? :vtec: i hope so... i'll officially be sold on a CR-Z if this is the case... i liked the feel of the CR-Z that i test drove, some time ago... even the power was ok... i even bet if i had one i could push the mpg numbers up quite a bit...

we'll see what happens :popcorn:

· Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Always the chance one take with buying a 1st run vehicle. A lot of feedback and reviews hit the manufacturer and... oops there it is.

But agree, if it ends up being possible, a Li retrofit and remap to use that other 50% of the IMA at a discounted cost would be an interesting option.
This is precisely why I don't buy Gen 1's. It's good to see though if there is going to be a souped up CR-Z it was the way I thought it would be four months ago.:pP:

I am sure there will be someone or some way to upgrade the battery and I think a remap of the engine will be doable but the article talks about higher compression and what not, which is also doable but will be costly.

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
This is precisely why I don't buy Gen 1's. It's good to see though if there is going to be a souped up CR-Z it was the way I thought it would be four months ago.:pP:
Hey honey, you sound like me wife - I told ya so.... :hi5: Grrrrr.
But, seriously - I think maybe - especially with today's events - we maybe out to 2013 or so before we see a significantly revamped CR-Z. But, never say never...

am sure there will be someone or some way to upgrade the battery and I think a remap of the engine will be doable but the article talks about higher compression and what not, which is also doable but will be costly.
Yea, if willing to pay, might see some benefit from a Li retro and remap, but not going to equal other tech they put into it..

At any-rate, I'll enjoy mine and doing some mods. If in a couple or several years they are still improving the CR-Z, I'll be doing a trade...

· Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Hey honey, you sound like me wife - I told ya so.... :hi5: Grrrrr.
But, seriously - I think maybe - especially with today's events - we maybe out to 2013 or so before we see a significantly revamped CR-Z. But, never say never...
From what I have read they where shooting for October...... But, I think you are right it will be delayed but, then again, don't ever count the Japanese out. They are a very dedicated, hard working people with self honor and respect and they just might surprise us.

· Registered
1,217 Posts
2004-2005 the GTO went from a 5.7L to a 6.0L V8. Initial buyers missed out. 2010 Mustang could also fall under this, I'd hate to have been an early 2010 GT owners who spent $30K on a Mustang with roughly as much power as the current V6. That's the penalty with being an early adopter :blush:

For all we know this could be just a separate Type R model. If Honda is really going to use a bigger engine that might make sense. Japan and European markets tax on emissions and displacement so building bigger would make the CR-Z more expensive.

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
From what I have read they where shooting for October...... But, I think you are right it will be delayed but, then again, don't ever count the Japanese out. They are a very dedicated, hard working people with self honor and respect and they just might surprise us.
Yes, I agree. I do not in anyway discount their ability to make it happen in Oct. We could take a few lessons. Heck, if it was here - well - definitely would be a little different in the citizen response for better or worse.

· Registered
693 Posts
It will be quite a trick if they can keep the same fuel economy and emission and provide 160 HP. If that can be achieved, I will be first in line at my dealer:thumbsup:

Truly, my only disappointment in the current CRZ is that it was a carry over of the Insight IMA system combined with a larger engine, resulting in a bit more performance and a bit less fuel economy. But if you can give me more performance and the same fuel economy, then you have me excited enough to trade.

· Registered
807 Posts
The performance boost would be nice, but I just hope we get a friggin sunroof for once.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.