Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Original Member Since 2010
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, am I shifting wrong or something, after a little rough driving my car smell horrible. I thought it could be the radiator but dealer found no leaks. What could it be?

·
Original Member Since 2010
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may be my clutch, its smells like road kill and fish...this is my first manual car. So i must be keeping my clutch down too long during shifting? I need to find some help on driving a manual.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
It may be my clutch, its smells like road kill and fish...this is my first manual car. So i must be keeping my clutch down too long during shifting? I need to find some help on driving a manual.
It does sound like clutch.. just don't ride it... and do a fairly quick engage / release when using it. Don't let it spin when partially engaged any more than you have too. Just takes some getting used to.....:hi5:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hello there...did someone showed you how to drive manual transmission yet? If not, stop driving your new car and get someone to properly teach you. It is not hard but does require practice. Don't ride that clutch cause you will have premature wear. Good luck. :sadwavey:

·
Registered
421 Posts
road kill/fish definitely sounds/smells like your clutch is getting too hot. have someone with experience show you how to properly drive a manual car.

good luck and take the advice that others have given you in this thread.

simple things to remember:

ease on the gas/ease off the clutch for starting from stop. no hurky/jerky stuff

use your parking brake to help when starting on an uphill slope. car in gear, hand on parking brake. ease off the parking brake as your clutch engages.

don't rest your foot on the clutch pedal while driving.

if you are stopped for a light or just sitting in traffic, don't hold your clutch pedel down. put the car in neutral and take your foot off the clutch pedal. holding the clutch pedal down causes wear on the throw out bearing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Guys,

I am driving manual cars continuously for 18 years and I never smell anything like road kill/fish which could be attributed to the clutch.

I have no idea why you believe that misusing the clutch could generate this smell!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Guys,

I am driving manual cars continuously for 18 years and I never smell anything like road kill/fish which could be attributed to the clutch.

I have no idea why you believe that misusing the clutch could generate this smell!
Mainly because from his previous posts.. he admits to having little experience driving a standard... and while I agree, a toasty clutch doesnt really smell fishy/roadkill... it might smell that way to someone not familiar with what a clutch smell like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It more than likely isnt the clutch, the dealer should have informed you that before shipping over from japan the car is coated in a gel over the paint and exposed metal parts. This is to ensure the salt water does not damage anything. They wash it off and for the most part get all of it however sometimes it says on the engine and around the exhaust. More than likely its not the driving pattern but the driving itself, running it hard heats up the chamber more cause the odor to become stronger.

If it continues for more than two weeks the dealer should look at it.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
It more than likely isnt the clutch, the dealer should have informed you that before shipping over from japan the car is coated in a gel over the paint and exposed metal parts. This is to ensure the salt water does not damage anything. They wash it off and for the most part get all of it however sometimes it says on the engine and around the exhaust. More than likely its not the driving pattern but the driving itself, running it hard heats up the chamber more cause the odor to become stronger.

If it continues for more than two weeks the dealer should look at it.
another good possibility... but he has had it to the dealer already. I would assume that the dealer / techs would know to check for / mention this......

but this should be checked out too...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ok, am I shifting wrong or something, after a little rough driving my car smell horrible. I thought it could be the radiator but dealer found no leaks. What could it be?
YEP I am getting the same smell. Smells like radiator fluid burning.

Defiantly NOT the clutch or the brakes, I know clutch and brake smell. Ive had my car 5 weeks and put about 1500 miles on it so far.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Could be my hiking boots. Oh wait, those wouldn't be in YOUR CR-Z!!! :blushing:
:rotfl:

Ok, not to make lite the situation here. Road kill smells could definitely detract from the driving experience. I have burn't a few clutches in my youth and had a few radiator issues and would never compare it to the smell that is being described.

CR-Z CSI needs to investigate.
- Did a Fish Monger test drive the car before you?
- Any jealous friends mess'n with you?
- Did you maybe accidently hit something - road kill left overs?
- Dead rodent or cat in the engine compartment?
- Dead body in the back hidden by the cover?
- Paranormal?
- Any Sensors/engine lights coming on?
- Had Dougal in your ride?
- Looked at the cabin filter?

OK, I'll stop. But seriously, we can only take shots at it and guess on this one. I'm at a loss. Best advice, when it starts, find a place "safely" stop, pop the hood and use the nose to try and isolate. If you have someone with you, 2 noses are better than one.

R/Scott

·
Registered
314 Posts
OK, I'll stop. But seriously, we can only take shots at it and guess on this one. I'm at a loss. Best advice, when it starts, find a place "safely" stop, pop the hood and use the nose to try and isolate. If you have someone with you, 2 noses are better than one.

R/Scott
And that's pop with one "o"!!! :pP:

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Guys,

Hey, are you still having the issue? We were playing a little bit, but seriously, the only way to really get to the bottom of the issue - unless you have warning lights coming on - is to get out (safely) when it happens and put the nose to it and see if you can isolate to the area or exact spot where it is coming from. Any luck?

R/Scott

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've never smelled a clutch that smelled anything like fish or roadkill. It's a distinctly metallic yet oxidized type smell. Smells just like a cross between an angle grinder and a shielded arc welding to me, which makes sense if you think about it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.