Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i was browsing TOV today and noticed a new Dyno thread over there for the CR-Z... guess who it's from... i take it they MUST be working on something if they are dynoing the CR-Z :woowoo:

I'll just quote TOV to make it easier :popcorn:
Jeff @ TOV said:
Hondata just sent us these dyno plots where they tested a stock CR-Z. They were able to deactivate the IMA assist for one plot so you can see the delta (hint: both motors are probably underrated)

As a follow-up to our own dyno test results, our friend Doug Macmillan of Hondata submitted the following dyno chart and notes this morning, and has graciously granted us permission to share the dyno chart with the TOV community.
Doug @ Hondata said:
Hi Jeff,

Here is a dyno of the CRZ (1000 miles) with the motor assist on and off. Even accounting for the fact that the dyno reads a little high compared to a Dynojet, it would seem that Honda have under-rated the power output.

Notes:
- Motor assist is switched off just before redline
- With motor assist off the L15 engine makes 20 hp more than the 2007 (first Gen) Fit

Doug
note that they did mention the dyno they use is rated a bit on the high side... my question is, did they use a pre-production CR-Z like TOV or did they have a production model??

mini-update - 11/01/2010

Hondata said:
Yes. The car had a HKS exhaust. I would guess it is worth 2-3 hp.

Just for clarification:

- Hondata did no tuning on this CR-Z.
- The measured power was identical to our stock 80,000 mile 2006 R18 Civic manual.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, i just reread this and i realized i MISSED the fact that this dyno is showing the power in blue of JUST the gas engine with NO IMA and the orange line shows the power like normal WITH IMA...

this leads me to believe they are working on a tune to be able to use the IMA at will... that would be so awesome if it could do that... i really can't wait for what they come out with... i'm happy Hondata sees the potential in the CR-Z and is working on it :dancing:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hondata is good stuff. Had their reflash on my TSX and it was the best mod.
I hope they will sell a flashpro and not just a reflash for CR-Z. Just one more gadget to play with. :p

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
on my mustang, my dyno tuner gave me three tunes. 93 performance, 87 performance, and 87 econ. i'd hope for options as well. i'd love to see this car's range. imagine a tune where you could easily get 50 MPG, and then when you're bored of that switch her over to beast mode running on 93 octane.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
on my mustang, my dyno tuner gave me three tunes. 93 performance, 87 performance, and 87 econ. i'd hope for options as well. i'd love to see this car's range. imagine a tune where you could easily get 50 MPG, and then when you're bored of that switch her over to beast mode running on 93 octane.
highly doubt it... if the CR-Z was boosted then this would make a difference but i don't think they will tune the car on different octanes of fuel... this is not a mustang :giggle:
told yall it would be messing w/ that IMA and not these $1k 6hp exhaust systems :pP:
:yeahthat: i knew from day 1 that the IMA was key to better performance on the CR-Z...
That just gave me hard **** lmao
:iough:

sn: i edited your post... please use cleaner language than that...

·
Registered
886 Posts
told yall it would be messing w/ that IMA and not these $1k 6hp exhaust systems :pP:
other than changing when it assists and when it charges, I can't see much room for tinkering w/ the IMA. It's not like a many part breathing exploding dynamic engine. It's batteries which we are maxing out as it is, and a brushless motor which can't be tweaked in any way other than giving it more power.. which again, is the batteries.

I know the brushless controller is already using the most efficient *fets available right now, so can't make improvements there, either.

I'd like to hear why I'm wrong, tho!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
other than changing when it assists and when it charges, I can't see much room for tinkering w/ the IMA. It's not like a many part breathing exploding dynamic engine. It's batteries which we are maxing out as it is, and a brushless motor which can't be tweaked in any way other than giving it more power.. which again, is the batteries.

I know the brushless controller is already using the most efficient *fets available right now, so can't make improvements there, either.

I think Ur right! But if hondata can find a way to use the IMA at it's full potential more consistently, that in it's own would be awesome. An as for tuning the 1.5l there is room for improvement, after dynoing my car with the catback and CAI and seeing the results, a tune would def enhance and extract more power. You have to take NA motors for what it is! And be happy with 5-10hp gains. Becuase it isn't until u boost that you can really see big gains, with a simple push of a button :). 8psi, 10psi wow, 12psi holy moley, 15psi god does exist, 18psi everything breaks lol.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mother of God. I really can't wait for a tune on this car. And Hondata was the one I was hoping would provide it.
sounding like a regular Honda person now :hi5:

i really think Honda was being SUPER conservative when they released the IMA... while it IS very efficient there are ways of extracting more power from it... and even if more power isn't possible, being able to CHOOSE when to use it will make a difference when racing or just trying to pass someone on the hwy...

remember that Honda tuned it for down-low power to improve FE... but imagine being able to have that same boost around 3500rpm going to redline... an extra boost in hp/tq above that rpm will result in REALLY high peak gains... i could imagine peak gains going into the 140hp/160tq if it's used in the upper parts of the powerband rather than at the beginning... maybe a tune specifically for "sport" will allow for this while keeping the normal IMA in either "normal" or "eco" ?? that's what i'm hoping for from a nice tune!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
sounding like a regular Honda person now :hi5:

i really think Honda was being SUPER conservative when they released the IMA... while it IS very efficient there are ways of extracting more power from it... and even if more power isn't possible, being able to CHOOSE when to use it will make a difference when racing or just trying to pass someone on the hwy...

remember that Honda tuned it for down-low power to improve FE... but imagine being able to have that same boost around 3500rpm going to redline... an extra boost in hp/tq above that rpm will result in REALLY high peak gains... i could imagine peak gains going into the 140hp/160tq if it's used in the upper parts of the powerband rather than at the beginning... maybe a tune specifically for "sport" will allow for this while keeping the normal IMA in either "normal" or "eco" ?? that's what i'm hoping for from a nice tune!
Thanks, Bizzy. I really hope they can get a little more out of the IMA. That would be the next thing in tuning. And I do believe that pretty soon, we're going to see some big number hybrids.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
maybe a tune specifically for "sport" will allow for this while keeping the normal IMA in either "normal" or "eco" ?? that's what i'm hoping for from a nice tune!
that's what i was getting at. i would be on cloud nine if we could tune each mode.

·
Registered
886 Posts
personally, from driving it, I don't think the electric motor is "tuned" for anything. It gives all it's got, whenever you ask for it. You can be cruzing along at 70mph, ~3500rpm, stomp the gas and assist goes from 0 to full, and that's all you'll ever get out of the electric.

The gas engine might be tuned for less power down low, because the IMA is there.. But I'm just about positive the IMA gives all it's got at any rpm.

(again, I could be wrong, but that's what it feels like when driving the vehicle)

-You're right that the ability to choose when to charge and when to assist would be a huge improvement, though, even if there aren't any other gains to be had from the IMA.
I think I can make better judgments about that, than the ECU.

Lets hope for some aftermarket Lithium-Poly extremely high capacity batteries :).

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
i'd like to see the electric motor reduce the load on my gas motor while cruising, but i also don't want to burn anything out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.