Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Honda's New CR-Z Type R

Honda’s eco Type R promises 45mpg economy as bigger electric motor boosts power to 200bhp

From hybrid to high-performance! Honda’s new petrol-electric coupe, the CR-Z, is being readied for Type R treatment, and Auto Express can bring you the first exclusive images of how the hot new model is shaping up.

Revealed in production trim at this January’s Detroit Motor Show, the CR-Z has already caused quite a stir by marrying a sporty three-door body with a fuel efficient hybrid powertrain – creating the world’s first truly desirable sports hybrid in the process. But the Japanese firm is going one step further with this stunning Type R version, which boasts a raft of head-turning design cues, and a more powerful hybrid powertrain under the skin.

A tarmac-hugging bodykit will create a clear definition between the standard car and this high-performance variant, and includes daytime running lights in the front apron and a black rear diffuser with integrated exhaust pipes. But it’s the colour scheme that will be most recogniseable to Type R fans.

A black bonnet, wing mirrors and wheels set against an alpine-white paint scheme will make the CR-Z stand out in a crowd. Blacked-out A-pillars are a new styling cue - giving the impression of a glass area that wraps around the car.

The standard CR-Z uses a 102bhp 1.5-litre engine coupled to a 20bhp electric motor for a total output of just 122bhp - but the Type-R is set to offer much more than that! Mugen, Honda’s official tuning arm, is reportedly being lined-up to work its magic on the CR-Z and boost its performance credentials. There had been rumours that a reworked version of the Civic Type R’s 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine could make it into the CR-Z Type-R, but because the coupe has been designed as a hybrid from the outset, a petrol-electric powertrain is a must.

The front-wheel drive layout and six-speed manual gearbox will remain, but expect the naturally-aspirated 1.5-litre engine to be cranked up to around 150bhp and mated to a larger 50bhp electric motor. The combined output of 200bhp will move the Type-R into serious performance territory with a 0-60mph time of close to six seconds, three seconds faster than the 122bhp CR-Z, and a top speed of 140mph.

The standard car’s three driving modes will also be extended to four, to include an additional Sport Plus setting. Select it and the throttle response, steering, timing of the stop-start system and the level of assitance from the electric motor will be set for maximum performance. Upgraded brakes and stiffened suspension will complete the package.

Our sources have revealed that the CR-Z Type R is already being prepared for a debut at next year’s Tokyo Motor Show before going on sale in Japan in late 2011. UK sales are set to commence a few months after that with prices starting from around £20,000.

Read more: Honda's new CR-Z Type R | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

Image courtesy of: Auto Express

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are loads of motoring magazines supposedly expert at reading Honda tea leaves. Much of this is wishful thinking. I have been following the articles of one such magazine (Best Car), which for years has been predicting a replacement of the Toyota Supra. We have had photographs of the car(s), detailed reports of engine displacement, even discussions of the variations offered (of course a hybrid variant always figures), but no car, and no indication of when it will go on sale.

So why would Honda abandon production of the Civic Type R and limit the Euro Type R to 2010? And Auto Express has exclusive images, shown to no other motoring magazine?

Best wishes,

PAG

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pre sales of the CRZ are apparently way beyond the expectation of Honda, so I doubt if they will lose money on it. As for a type r version, I would be surprised. My opinion is that the CRZ is a stop gap to generate interest in Honda while they sort out the re-design of the new Civic. A little niche car that should sell reasonably well and will probably be a cult car in years to come.

Only my opinion though. I have been occasionally wrong in the past :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
which we'll never get of course. We rarly get the type r versions. Besides lets say the ITR. Even those are impossible to fine.

Even if they would make a CR-Z type-R I think I would stick with the original just for the fact that I dig the idea of having the sporty car with great gas milage.
Many times the motor is where most of the focused weight is. So if they increase the motor size, the weight of the car will go up. So you have a compromise to consider. Power to weight ratio changes. I had a honda prelude that was rated stock at 200bhp. But it was 2900-3000 lbs. With me it was about 3100..maybe 3200, only 156 lbs tq but at 5600 rpm stock. Idk what it was after the tune. Def more, but not leaps. But. I tell you, the cr-z tq, is much better. It comes it sooner at under 2krpm. It's what makes driving in sport mode in the city fun. I'm often suprised it's a hybrid sometimes. *lol*
Once the prelude got up in rpm tho, it would smash the crz, But that's not the point. The crz is a different type of animal. I'm gonna be honest. When I test drove it the crz, in auto, i was blown away. From what I read online, i thought it would be a turtle. Becuz i was thinking..wait, isnt this a 1.5 liter with about 120 hp?! Then i read that the weight was 2600 for manual.

My brothers sentra is a 1.8 liter at 130hp. It's auto, but the crz stops over all day. Strange.

I also think that IF honda introduced a "sportier" version of the current crz it wont come for a while. At least to the states.

that would make me angry if i bought a crz then they came out with a type r in the US... hmm o well... we shall see
I would be too. I have to agree with another poster. I'd prolly consider trading. Grated it had good numbers. But the type r, will be most likely nearly 30g's guys, not 20g. Remember the mugen si sedan? 32k just about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.