Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still twindling my thumbs if I should keep the extended warranty I purchased for $2600 not. It's suppose to cover the whole car including the NIMH for 8 years or 120000 miles and includes rental and road help. I've never purchase one for my previous cars, I've always thought of it as wasted money. Now with the car being a hybrid, I worry that the battery might get depleted sooner than expected and might cost too much if replaced. Now I understanded that Honda covers the NIMH for 8 years but the coverage drops every year as the car gets older. I still have 60 days if I decide to return it. Any suggestions or if it was me scenarios and why would be appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Turn it back in. I paid $1800 for the same warranty you got. I read the language and it was shocking the amount of exclusions written into it.

Tried to get the dealer to commit to some scenarios where I have used warranties before and they wiggled right out of it.

Take that money, put it in a decent investment and take it out if you need it.

1. It is a Honda. You pay a premium on the car price because of quality and engineering.

2. If you modify the suspension on your car, any suspension related issues will be void.

3. If you use the car for your work, not commuting but sales calls and such, the warranty is void UNLESS you pay a much higher premium. (that was the deal breaker)

4. If you already have AAA or similar policy on your car insurance, you are double paying for a service. Good luck collecting on both.

It is a poor investment.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yep get rid of it. I am friends with someone who works in the service department and he even avised me not to get the warranty and you also paid to much. Like with anything else you can haggle on the price of the warranty. The only thing I walked out with was Gap coverage and that was only $4 dollars added to my payments. Honda makes quality cars, I trust this car is no different.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
Yep get rid of it. I am friends with someone who works in the service department and he even avised me not to get the warranty and you also paid to much. Like with anything else you can haggle on the price of the warranty. The only thing I walked out with was Gap coverage and that was only $4 dollars added to my payments. Honda makes quality cars, I trust this car is no different.
:yeahthat:
If your insurance company doesn't provide GAP (most do), about the only thing I would look at is the GAP add on. Anything else is just a money maker for the dealership and the finance/close out person who is finalizing the deal. Tis why you always get the hard sell when trying to close.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If I remember correctly the hybrid battery warranty does not "drop every year as the car gets older." You are confusing it with the regular 12-volt battery. The IMA battery does not have a prorated warranty.

Your hybrid battery is completely covered by warranty for 8yrs/100k mi or 10yrs/150k mi in CARB states.

Myself and some others confirmed that in this thread. http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/1624-hybrid-battery-warranty.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got my warranty though Curry honda I got 8yrs 100000 miles for just $1150.I thought for that price it was worth it.Remember there are alot sensors that control alot of functions.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
If you search Saccucci Honda or Curry Honda they will quote 8 yrs 120k for less than $1100 as long as milage less than 6k. I am most def. gonna get it. My Accord Hybrid. The power locks went out 3 times (2 times driver, 1 time frnt passanger) about $600 ea job, back brake assembly went out (wiring something) about $500, had to replace the cntr console as the latch wasn't latching after the 36k miles about $400, and the Hybrid Battery went belly up after its initial 80k miles but this covered it about 3K. So, call me not the brightest, but i'm getting it eventually.
Oh and I purchased from Curry before on my Accord.

*also wiper assembly went out, got replaced and few other things.

This is the honda care warranty.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
Got my warranty though Curry honda I got 8yrs 100000 miles for just $1150.I thought for that price it was worth it.Remember there are alot sensors that control alot of functions.
1150 is a good price. Usually each dealer uses a third party warranty insurer and varies from dealer to dealer, state to state etc.

But did you read the fine print and what is and is not covered?

Also, as stated earlier, any mods to your car and you will have an extremely difficult time cashing in on some warranted items. If you plan on keeping it stock and having it for those 8 years, then it can be "possibly" a good investment.. depending on the fine print.

·
Registered
382 Posts
When I bought my CR-Z in Oct. My dealer wanted $1900 for the Honda Care 8/120K ZERO Deductible I talked him down to $1300 so I took it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys for all the suggestions. Looks like I will be getting rid of it base on all the information here unless they can bring the price down (which I doubt) and giving me the commercial option since my wife works as a consultant and goes to different facilities within Los Angeles. I will keep you posted... what a great forum and bunch of people.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i paid $1,000 for my extended 10yr 120K. Got it back on 8/24/10 (release date) so i am probably tish out of luck to get that money back. I do plan on keeping this car for a very long time and may need the warenty for a new batt. I should do what i can to get my money out of that warrenty though the wife actually gave me that loot for the warrenty so i really got it for free:p

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought my car Dec 9th and already have 7000 miles on it. The paperwork for the warranty came in at the end of January and I was horrified when I read the exclusionary language.

Especially the part where they describe "commercial" use. I do emergency delivery of parts and call on customers regularly. I did not even bother to ask them what the "commercial" rates were on the warranty.

It will be the first new car I buy without an extended warranty. I asked the service department where I get my other Honda serviced and he told me that it was not neccesary.

My Toyota Tundra warranty paid itself off plus the dealer helped me out quite a bit on questionable warranty issues. Their language is straightforward and reasonable. Honda on the other hand was one loophole after another and there is absolutely no negotiation on what is covered ... especially if it is questionable.

I will take my chances and the car is covered for 36k bumper to bumper. If I get hit with a major repair, I am trading it in ... the 1800 I saved will go towards the depreciation loss.

Screw that!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to the dealer today to cancel the warranty and obviously they try to take me out of it, there attitude was you don't come in service telling us you use it for commercial use and we don't come to you asking where you've been. But I told them when it comes down to it they can easily deny me service by just that clause alone. For the meantime, I have to wait til my first finance bill comes in before we can move paperwork.. I told them if they will add the commercial use option and lower the cost down to $1300. I'll keep the warranty. So will see.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bought mine at a dealership that has their own sort of free extended warranty.

For 7 years, as long as you keep current with regular maintenence, their service department will cover pretty much the same parts as the Honda warranty.

It sounds expensive but I imagine it pays for itself in sales.
I had three dealers haggled down to the same price ... but only one had this service so my choice was pretty clear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My fiance just purchased a CRZ last night and they have a 3rd party warranty they sold her for $1300 I am not sure if we should cancel it or not. Can someone give me a scenario or example of something the dealer would wiggle it's way out of not covering something?

·
Registered
99 Posts
What more do you want?

Read the language and make a decision.
I sure did not like the Honda language, did you read that third party insurer language?

What is the exclusionary language like?

How willing is your dealer to work with this policy?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
My fiance just purchased a CRZ last night and they have a 3rd party warranty they sold her for $1300 I am not sure if we should cancel it or not. Can someone give me a scenario or example of something the dealer would wiggle it's way out of not covering something?
I would make sure this it is the Honda Care Warranty. Some dealers have other 3rd Party warranties they try to get you to go with. Under Honda Care you can go into ANY Honda dealer. :beer:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I drive a ton ... it can be construed as commercial as I use my car as part of my job.

I made the decision based on my dealers reaction and answers to some rather pointed questions I asked them. Like I mentioned earlier, read the warranty carefully when you get it. If you can live with those clauses and you have a great dealer ... go for it.

This is the first new vehicle I don't have a warranty on.

If it turns out to need two grand of work ... I'll trade it in.

My choice. Don't think I will regret it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts