Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
2041 - 2060 of 2067 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
hey whats the latests with your rides Hol. ?

Reactions: HondaHolly

·
Volunteer Admin
2011 CRZ EX, and 2011 CRZ Mugen 060/300
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,042 ·
Whoops guess I haven’t updated in a while! Nothing too exciting going on. No huge issues. I bought a house during the pandemic so now RatchetRex and I have a garage for our summer crzs!

Today my black crz turned the odometer to 150k! I bought it 8 years ago with 15k miles, certified pre-owned used at a Honda dealership. My how time flies! I still love the crz :wub:

·
Volunteer Admin
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,043 ·
Hello all, not much to update on. Spring is around the corner here. I still have the winter wheels on Ralph (black crz). Raubie (white Mugen) is about to have his sprintex rebuilt. I figure it’s overdue for one, just to be safe. I am super paranoid about that sprintex ever since Litz’ blew up... Ralph is currently waiting to have new rotors and brake pads installed all around. His current ones are 2.5 years old and very rusty. Both of my rear dust shields are rusted, loose, and keep banging into the rotor. They make my Ralph sound like a piece of shit driving down the road :eek: So embarrassing!!

Off topic, but for anyone reading there is talks of an autumn dragon meet this year. Due to the resort we always stay at being closed for part of 2020 and the lease changing hands, and everyone who’s bookings got cancelled in 2020 being moved to 2021 we currently don’t have anything booked. Carzee is looking into it. I miss everyone! 🐉💚

·
Volunteer Admin
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,044 ·
Little update. Was able to take the supercharged white Mugen crz to the dragon meet in early October. Had a blast! I haven’t been able to take that crz down there since 2018 right after I bought it, and right before all the problems showed up!

My black daily driver crz is doing ok. Both rear quarter panels are developing rust. It is reallly overdue for a valve clearance adjustment, but is up to date on all fluids. I don’t feel like doing the valve adjustment myself (50+ hour work weeks and I just don’t want to) so I haven’t done it yet because it’s gonna be about $500 at the dealer. A couple months ago this crz had some crazy glitches which I believe were due to the 48 hours of rain we had gotten. Once the rain stopped and the car dried out it went away and hasn’t come back since. This isn’t the first time some weird electrical gremlins have shown up from heavy rain, but it was the most extreme gremlin. Previous gremlins had always happened once and never repeated, so I hope this one is the same deal. I wasn’t able to drive the car and had to have it towed to a shop. But by the time the shop got to it, it was dried out and issues gone. They scanned the OBD-II and retrieved A TON of codes but couldn’t chase any down really without the issue happening in real time. Here is a fun video of the glitch. A minute before this happened I got a “check VSA” light.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Cloud Sky Wheel Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

·
Volunteer Admin
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,045 ·
I've owned my black crz for 9 years and the god awful windshield whistle got worse over the last year and I think its time I actually do something to fix it 😅 Its so bad now my radio cannot block out the sound and on very heavy rains I get 3 spots over the passenger side where water drips down the INSIDE of the winshield heh...

Also hello I have been appointed to be your volunteer admin 🙃

·
Volunteer Admin
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,047 ·
I thought you were already an admin of some sort here...😜
I was a moderator for many years, made so by Scotty001 back in the day. Now I am an admin which grants me a few more powers such as helping users reset their password

·
This space deliberately left blank
2,510 Posts
I've owned my black crz for 9 years and the god awful windshield whistle got worse over the last year and I think its time I actually do something to fix it 😅 Its so bad now my radio cannot block out the sound and on very heavy rains I get 3 spots over the passenger side where water drips down the INSIDE of the winshield heh...
that means you've got some actual separation of the butyl sealant... you'll want to call safelite or something and see if they will R&R the glass just to reseal it.

·
Volunteer Admin
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,055 ·
My black crz finally got its valves adjusted at the dealership. It’s at 166,000 miles and I have been putting it off due to the cost. No - it’s not something I wanted to do myself at home. They told me some of the valve lashes were out, not all. I didn’t ask which or if they were loose or tight, just didn’t think to ask.

Future mod plans.

For my black crz it will be getting different summer shoes. I will be keeping the black Advan SA3Rs, so don’t ask me if I’m selling! I found from yahoo auctions (Japan) a full set of Rays/Vestal Try Force Zelda wheels in the same staggered set up as my Advan SA3R. They need to be refinished, because they are MUCH older (late 1980s), but for now I will have my tires moved from my Advans to the Zeldas. Next winter I will have the Zeldas powder coated in red (duh, of course), change the decals to black, and I will use black TPU 3D printed center caps because I want to keep the center caps they came with in their original finish. Can’t wait to run them in black and red mode next year!

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle

For the white crz, a few days ago I started getting an itch for recaro or bride seats after STTrice hinted that he might sell Romiata’s old black with yellow accents Recaro SR3s, which my white crz still has a matching black and yellow center arm rest for. I already found some recaro rails from croooober and yahoo auctions again. I’m not in any rush for seats, but if STTrice decides not to sell I will be looking for some seats next spring after I get my tax returns. 🤑

·
Volunteer Admin
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,057 ·
Scoliosis avoided! Well done. 😀👍
Wait what? 😆 I wish! I’ve already had a moderate curve in my lower spine since I was like 7 or 8 years old. I go to the chiropractor regularly and have some neat X-rays 🩻 I used to be able to change my wheels from summer to winter or spend 2-3 hours detailing my car but now I really can’t, because the next day my back will be so stiff… I tend to pay people to do this stuff now or ask my fiancé to pick up my heavy steel wheels for me 😅

Head Arm Shoulder Leg Medical imaging

·
Volunteer Admin
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,059 ·
OMG! Its really good you didn't do your own valve adj as its a back-breaker. You go lay down, right now!
I have the NRG carbon hood dampers and when I dropped the car off I taped a note to the hood that said “caution: open slowly, I have hood dampers.Unscrew them to give yourself more room to work!”

I must say, the service scheduling people and the service advisor all kept questioning why I wanted a valve adjustment, who said I need one etc.When I pulled into the service baythe service adjuster said “why do you think you need a valv adjustment? Your car sounded really quiet just now”. 🙄 Um, gee idk maybe because I’m at 166k miles and HONDA recommends it be checked at 100k miles! Some friends in the dealership/service business told me they really don’t like to do it because there’s not much money in it for how long it takes.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I have the NRG carbon hood dampers and when I dropped the car off I taped a note to the hood that said “caution: open slowly, I have hood dampers.Unscrew them to give yourself more room to work!”

I must say, the service scheduling people and the service advisor all kept questioning why I wanted a valve adjustment, who said I need one etc.When I pulled into the service baythe service adjuster said “why do you think you need a valv adjustment? Your car sounded really quiet just now”. 🙄 Um, gee idk maybe because I’m at 166k miles and HONDA recommends it be checked at 100k miles! Some friends in the dealership/service business told me they really don’t like to do it because there’s not much money in it for how long it takes.
Yeah normally it'd be weird hearing a service department questioning the charging of labor but makes sense considering the margin of time to complete is probably very thin on a valve adjustment vs other services that can be completed much faster than the book listed time. It's a very time consuming and tedious process, not at all the typical remove/replace maintenance.

Nevertheless I agree it was a good thing to have them checked at your mileage.

2041 - 2060 of 2067 Posts