Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,256 Posts
Great work Holly! You should totally do a comparison, even if it's not captured good on a video it's worth it for you to know just how much louder they are. I had a friend honk their stock prius while I stood in front and then honk my car with the 4 horns and it was awesome, the difference was staggering and made all the work worthwhile.

· Registered
2,256 Posts
Next I get my Advans re-powder coated and the center caps and center nuts don't fit.
The coating likely needs to be removed from the mounting surfaces as powder coat is quite thick. Likewise if the lug nut seating surfaces and back of the wheel hub weren't masked it can pose serious safety and mounting issues and must be stripped from those contact surfaces, this is why most wheels come with bare unpainted hub mounting surfaces and good wheels come with bare uncoated lug nut seats.

Powder Coating: The Complete Guide: Masking

Powder coated wheels - safety issue - Page 1 - General Gassing - PistonHeads

Now today I notice the wrap on the RSX caliper that brand new a year ago and corroded quickly, the wrap is lifting (probably because of the corrosion).
Brake calipers can reach 500°F easily and heat cycle every time they're driven. Some paints can withstand that for a decent amount of time but not so sure about the longevity of using a wrap on a brake caliper.

· Registered
2,256 Posts
I have the NRG carbon hood dampers and when I dropped the car off I taped a note to the hood that said “caution: open slowly, I have hood dampers.Unscrew them to give yourself more room to work!”

I must say, the service scheduling people and the service advisor all kept questioning why I wanted a valve adjustment, who said I need one etc.When I pulled into the service baythe service adjuster said “why do you think you need a valv adjustment? Your car sounded really quiet just now”. 🙄 Um, gee idk maybe because I’m at 166k miles and HONDA recommends it be checked at 100k miles! Some friends in the dealership/service business told me they really don’t like to do it because there’s not much money in it for how long it takes.
Yeah normally it'd be weird hearing a service department questioning the charging of labor but makes sense considering the margin of time to complete is probably very thin on a valve adjustment vs other services that can be completed much faster than the book listed time. It's a very time consuming and tedious process, not at all the typical remove/replace maintenance.

Nevertheless I agree it was a good thing to have them checked at your mileage.

1 - 6 of 7 Posts