Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Autocar: Hot petrol Honda CR-Z planned

Honda is set to provide its CR-Z with an all-new, turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine option as part of plans to broaden the compact coupé’s appeal in key world markets, including the UK.
Currently available with just the one engine option — a hybrid that mates a 112bhp 1.5-litre petrol engine with a 14bhp electric motor — the CR-Z is earmarked to receive an all-new turbocharged 1.6-litre powerplant that is currently undergoing development at Honda’s Tochigi R&D centre.

The new engine, which is also planned for the Jazz, Civic and Accord, forms an integral part of a downsizing program instigated at Honda. With forced induction and Honda’s patented VTEC-i fully variable camshaft timing system, it is aimed at providing the performance of a typical 2.0-litre engine from a capacity of just 1.6 litres.
Autocar sources in Japan say the new engine is likely to come in two guises: a standard 160bhp model and a highly tuned 200bhp version aimed at matching the now defunct 2.0-litre VTEC engine in the Civic Type R. This more potent spec is likely to form the basis of a CR-Z Type R, tentatively due out late next year.

Plans for more than a hybrid engine for the Japanese Car of the Year come as sales of the two-door coupé have started to sag in the firm’s all-important home market.
Honda first hinted that it was planning to add another petrol engine when it unveiled the CR-Z Hybrid R concept at the recent SEMA tuning show in Las Vegas. Unlike the proposed production version, though, that car ran a turbocharged version of the CR-Z’s existing 1.5-litre engine rather than the new 1.6.

Greg Kable
Hot petrol Honda CR-Z planned - Autocar.co.uk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rumormill: Honda planning turbocharged, non-hybrid CR-Z

As much as Honda wants us to believe that its CR-Z hatchback is some sort of "sport hybrid," the truth is that it doesn't exactly live up to our expectations. It's a decent steer, but it's not exactly a sports car, and its meager fuel efficiency is easily bested by the majority of non-hybrid B-segment offerings. According to a report from Autocar, however, Honda is rumored to be working on a CR-Z that ditches its conventional hybrid powertrain in favor of a small-displacement, turbocharged mill.

The proposed new engine is an all-new 1.6-liter unit that will produce around 160 horsepower. Autocar states that a higher-output CR-Z Type R may follow shortly thereafter, rumored to produce around 200 hp. This new powerplant is reportedly slated for use in the Honda Jazz (Fit), Civic and Accord, and could provide the basis for the next-generation Civic Si engine.

We saw a preview of Honda's hot hatch intentions at this year's SEMA show in the form of the CR-Z Hybrid R concept. That show car featured a turbocharged version of the Honda's current 1.5-liter engine, but it shows that Honda is indeed serious about reworking the CR-Z's sporting image.

Sales of the hybrid CR-Z have started to fade in Honda's home market, despite the hatch being named the Japanese Car of the Year. Honda hopes that a turbocharged CR-Z would broaden the vehicle's appeal in other key markets, as well, such as the United States and Europe.
I currently own 1998 Integra Type R and I for one would be first in line if they announced a Type R version of the CR-Z. Give it turbo power while not adding weight and rework the suspension and chasis into something adequate of the "Type R" namesake and this can be an amazing machine.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
:yawn:

i need more reliable sources to actually believe this one or anything close to it...

1st flaw - some of these articles state that Honda is making this new engine option to compete with other companies and their small displacement/turbo charged vehicles... when has Honda EVER gone with the flow of things?? they are leaders of innovation and not followers...

2nd flaw - the CR-Z is selling either above estimates or exactly on par with what they expected... in their eyes it's a proven formula so why would they make something just to add a couple sales/year?? that's an unnecessary risk that i doubt Honda will take...

i just go off of what i've read/heard from Honda directly, that the CR-Z was designed to always be a Hybrid... the car was specifically balanced, the suspension arrangement, etc was ALL designed to handle the battery weight in the middle/rear part of the car... removing that will disrupt the balance of the CR-Z and cause for more rework/redesign than just simply putting a new engine in there...

if anything, i would see Honda using the new plug-in Hybrid system they developed recently... and at the earliest, that would come around MMC, but most likely the FMC...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
every time i go to see one of these posts I always hear turbo. Honda isnt about turboing their vehicles. They havent done stock turbos in years. other than the RDX.

Its just not their philosophy, they dont turbo their cars.

I will eat my words when it happens but i dont see it happening anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
this is like what, the 50th time this rumor has been posted? i heard kia is going to offer methanol injected spectras too.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
CR-Z, Crosstour, Insight sales hurting - Odyssey lone bright spot among new Honda models — Autoblog

Although it hasn't been on the market that long, early sales for Honda's new CR-Z hybrid coupe aren't any more encouraging. Automotive News reports that Honda had conservatively intended to sell around 15,000 of the two-seat hybrids per year, but so far, only 4,373 have made their way off of dealer lots and another 3,000 are currently sitting in inventory. Thankfully, there is one bright spot in the Honda stable – the 2011 Odyssey. The minivan bowed in September, and it's performing well against a minivan segment that has heated up with a range of new competitors.
honestly, id be upset if they made such a radical change to the car that made it more desireable so soon after release but i guess they have to do what they have to do if sales dont meet expectations. I thought the CRZ was doing well though?...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
every time i go to see one of these posts I always hear turbo. Honda isnt about turboing their vehicles. They havent done stock turbos in years. other than the RDX.

Its just not their philosophy, they dont turbo their cars.

I will eat my words when it happens but i dont see it happening anytime soon.
i hope youre right.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was in Versailles, Paris 6 & 7 November, invited by test S.A.

I have no idea of Honda plans, however, 25 people, owner of CR-Z were questionned about car satisfaction, and a lot of other questions.

a question was raised :
"and what if Honda make a non-hybrid 200hp Cr-Z ?"

23/25 people gave answer "NO!" and when asked further, everyone wanted more hp, but by a mixture of electric and fuel engine boost.

most french asked for more rpm from a honda, non-turbo, 8000rpm redline
150hp thermic, 25hp electric, would be enough for most users, in this statistic, and the consensus was very strong (in this case 23 people out of 25)
the two remaining were not against a type R 2liter 200hp with no hybrid, but also agreed to buy a 175hp hybrid compromise, and admit that the second choice would be more psychologically compfortable because of the "green" factor.

The groups were 50/50 on the targa option priced euro 1000.

My personal opinion is also for keeping hybrid and having a more HoOOonda! engine.
I had the oportunity to talk with the Japanese, and did my best to pressure them into this "hybridmore" direction, and away from 4 seats.

More, i really don't beleive honda can make a non hybrid R cr-z : all the models exposed featured enhancement on the electric part, especially prototype Mission Motors Li-ion battery pack featuring transformation to 12V accessory voltage, removing the need for lead battery under the hood and, removing up to 50kg to car weight.

The total drop of all non-hybrid solutions by honda, in the years to come is a more beleivable option. (except diesel engines.... for france :angry: )

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
CR-Z, Crosstour, Insight sales hurting - Odyssey lone bright spot among new Honda models — Autoblog

honestly, id be upset if they made such a radical change to the car that made it more desireable so soon after release but i guess they have to do what they have to do if sales dont meet expectations. I thought the CRZ was doing well though?...
i read that article yesterday and was saying to myself, that Honda is meeting, if not exceeding, ALL of their expectations so far with the CR-Z... 4,373 sold so far in about 3months & 7days... the CR-Z is selling at a rate of around 44/day... if you multiply that out by 365 days (1 year), you will have over 16k... Honda was aiming for 15k... remember these are the slower months for sales too...

this is why i don't think Honda is concerned with the negative reviews it's gotten from fanboy's and biased media reviews... with that, i don't believe they are working to "improve" something that is meeting their expectations!! ppl can dance around it and say CR-Z isn't selling blah blah... but the fact is, there are 3000 CR-Z's sitting on the lots and about 2250 of those are CVT equipped... according to internet and media statistics, more people prefer the harder to get 6MT trim...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
So im gonna bump this up since i just got another report from the 8th civic site. It looks like honda is "working on a 1.6 turbo with 160hp and a tuned 200hp version" apperantly for CRZ, Fit, Civic, and Accord. Why honda would put the same engine in their base model car and also in something a little higher end like an accord doesnt make sense.

Honestly i hope that honda comes out with better electronic boost in the CRZ that can be factory upgraded with warranty.

It does make sense though that honda would come out with an Si or Type R version of a newly released model of car. When the 8th gen civic was released, it was about a year later for Si's to come along and the 4 door came into the picture etc etc.

Bizzy, i honestly hope you are right when you keep saying that the CR-Z was designed to be a full on hybrid. Ive always owned cars that have always been nice but never that sport model, and now that i finally got the sporty car that isnt going to be trumped out by some Si or type R, its really frustrating knowing that sooner or later there will be a model that will just destroy our beloved CR-Z sans Si.

I hope that honda upgrades the new si CRZ with more assist and not with forced induction. A new computer flash or firmware update would be awesome to have to keep up to speed with the newer models.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
It does make sense though that honda would come out with an Si or Type R version of a newly released model of car. When the 8th gen civic was released, it was about a year later for Si's to come along and the 4 door came into the picture etc etc.

Bizzy, i honestly hope you are right when you keep saying that the CR-Z was designed to be a full on hybrid. Ive always owned cars that have always been nice but never that sport model, and now that i finally got the sporty car that isnt going to be trumped out by some Si or type R, its really frustrating knowing that sooner or later there will be a model that will just destroy our beloved CR-Z sans Si.
actually the 8thgen Civic came out around September 2005 and the Si version was released at the beginning of December 2005... i had one on order since early November 2005, until i finally got it in April 2006...

if Honda DOES come out with an Si variant or Type-R of the CR-Z... they will have lost me as a customer... the thing i LOVE about the CR-Z is that not every ricer-kid is gonna want one b/c it's a Hybrid... personally that's the part that draws me in... i'm excited to see the tuning potential of these hybrids... if they do release a beefier CR-Z, i hope it ONLY comes in CVT/Auto trim as to deter all of the people who would potentially buy it to rice it out...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
true enough. Cars dont seem to get riced out until they depreciate enough for kids to buy them. EP3's RSX and such Si/SiR models should start to be coming in now. Personally i could never put a body kit of any sort on any of my cars. even if it was authentic j's racing or what have you. Stock w/ lip has always been my motto and it always looks the most tasteful.

I dont plan on ricing my crz out, but i do want to mod it. I will have you know i got it for the "sportyness" not the hybrid, and im 22. (i also like that im no longer designated taxi driver for my friends because i dont have enough space :p) All paid for insured and ownership is in my name.

·
Registered
332 Posts
true enough. Cars dont seem to get riced out until they depreciate enough for kids to buy them. EP3's RSX and such Si/SiR models should start to be coming in now. Personally i could never put a body kit of any sort on any of my cars. even if it was authentic j's racing or what have you. Stock w/ lip has always been my motto and it always looks the most tasteful.

I dont plan on ricing my crz out, but i do want to mod it. I will have you know i got it for the "sportyness" not the hybrid, and im 22. (i also like that im no longer designated taxi driver for my friends because i dont have enough space :p) All paid for insured and ownership is in my name.
Holy crap. You sound a lot like me.

I had a Fit before, and I was always the DD. I'm 22 as well, and I got away from the civic I had (to its defense, it was stock-looking and made 209WHP) because I didn't like the ricer profile it attracted. I don't like body kits that don't look stock. The farthest I'll go is aftermarket wheels and decent shocks/springs.

I bought the CR-Z because I like the idea of a hybrid, and this was the first one that appealed to me. I don't need a car to go fast, I have a sportsbike to do that.

My fit was in the Honda Racing Line program, and I've been to HPD in California to see all the stuff they make/do. It's awesome the plans they have for this car. I like this car, it's a fun little ride, and I see potential for it.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
after reading about this on TOV... if i reviewed some of my posts from when i first joined this site, this is actually what i think would make the CR-Z perfect... in fact, this is what i would do with my CR-Z (when i get one)... boost it to a modest 180hp-200hp and 170tq-190tq...

i'm not saying this is going to happen but IF Honda releases a turbo 1.6L IMA CR-Z... depending on price, i'm all over it... i don't see Honda being able to get this to the right price though... the mpg will also drop, so that's another negative... so if anything i'll be doing what i originally planned anyways which was to get the CR-Z and contact Bisimoto for boosting it :vtec:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
^ honda wont do a turbo + ima, from my understanding with all of the rumors its ditchthe hybrid and make a gas only turbo. It doesnt make sense though since honda would have worked the battery into its frame design. Why would they spend R&D time developing a chassis for the hybrid vehicle then rip out the battery they designed around and leave an emtpy void in the car?

Honestly, it seems like it would be nice for honda to give a little extra nuts to the crz, but i think once more tuning options become available for the IMA combined with intake, exhaust, pullies throttle bodies etc, we could have quite a zippy daily driver.

Not to mention that since the CRZ has proper ivtec, valvetrains can be upgraded, cams and headwork can also yield awesome gains.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
you pointed out my main argument, that it was ALWAYS designed to be a Hybrid... Honda will lose all marketing gains as a "Sport Hybrid" if they release it w/o the IMA...

the CR-Z is a zippy car... and just like you said, with a few upgrades and tuning, the car can be a really quick & fun DD... it seems this "Autocar UK" site has gotten almost everyone to believe that there is a turbo 1.6L coming out from Honda... i've read it on almost every site i read up car stuff on... autoblog, insideline, TOV, etc... the thing i'm curious to know is why is the wording EXACTLY the same on every single article?? are they the only ones with this Honda Insider info??

i need a Honda rep (not sales rep) to chime in here NOW!! :rules:

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.