Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Honda CRZ Hybrid Battery

55K views 57 replies 38 participants last post by  chimaera 
#1 ·
OK guys so i have seen a few threads about the engine in the CRZ, but what about the hybrid system / and the battery??
Does anyone know if this is just going to be the same system from the Insight? Or will it be something newer and more technically advanced?

#7 ·
If I get a CRZ I will probably use some of the reconditioning methods used by the Insight I folks. From what I understand they have developed a way to charge the battery off the grid (low amperage) once a month and then using a dummy load drain it off. I guess that helps the battery stay healthy. Some folks have gotten over 200,000 miles out of their battery pack. There is also a couple of companies that rebuild battery packs if they are out of warranty and from what I gather that will cost just about $1000. From what I've learned when a pack goes bad there may be only a few cells that are weak or have failed and all the others are OK. Simply replace the bad cells and your good to go again for maybe 80,000 miles or more. There is no need to replace the whole pack unless it is covered under warranty.

Battery anxiety (cost of repair) does not worry me.

#9 ·
As the only person in that business (at least for Honda hybrids) I can tell you that the demand isn't there yet.

That 7 year quote is from me. I'm seeing batteries die at anywhere from 60K to 300K miles with the median being around 170K. Of course, I don't see any that die before the car hits 80K miles because they are under warranty.

#22 ·
Just got this back from Honda UK support:

Thank you for contacting Honda UK.

The warranty for the IMA system of the CR-Z is 4 years/50,000 miles (whichever comes first).
We hope this clarifies your query.

This is really getting on my nerves. First incorrect info about the bluetooth, now bad info on warranty.

#24 ·
Another reply from Honda UK to some follow up questions:

Thank you for your reply.

The 8 year warranty was provided on the Civic Hybrid and Insight, however it has not for the CR-Z.
The rumour that the batteries only last 7 years is totally unjustified. Honda UK has reduced the warranty coverage on IMA as it generally is not required to provide such a long coverage.
With regards to cost of replacement battery, we are unable to clarify this as this will also depend on dealer labour rates which alter from dealer to dealer.
We hope this clarifies your query.

#27 ·
They reduced the warranty because it is generally not required?
If they mean the battery generally doesn't need any servicing for 8 years, then why wouldn't they just leave it at 8 years? If their claim is true then it doesn't cost them anything.

I really hope they come up with a non hybrid version (less expensive too). Or I might just opt for the Kia Forte Koup or wait for the 9th Gen Civic.

#25 ·
Picked up my car today the IMA warranty for UK cars is 5 years or 90000 miles, it covers the Motor Stator, battery assembly, motor rotor, dc-dc convertor, batt condition monitor module, motor electronic control unit, motor power inverter module and the battery electronic control unit.
Hopes this cllears up any confusion.

#28 ·
This actually worries me. I had a friend who had a first gen prius, and after about 6 years something with the electric motor or batteries failed and Toyota refused to replace them. He ended up taking the loss and getting a corolla instead the next time around as it was so expensive to try to repair the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.