Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

· Registered
1,217 Posts
I cant get it to top off either.

The battery warranty only completely replaces the battery for the first 3 years, then it drops to a percentage of the cost of a new one. In either case it only covers the battery, not labor or installation!
My Civic Hybrid manual doesn't state that. We have the CARB state 10 year /150,000 warranty here.

Honda does say the warranty may vary, ask your dealer for details. Perhaps some states or markets get a difference warranty detail.

· Registered
93 Posts
3 Year Warranty is for regular car battery

I hate to see this topic get out of hand, so hopefully this will help clarify things.

The three year warranty is for the regular car battery, NOT the IMA battery!

The reference to the "Replacement Battery Limited Warranty" (page 32) says, "This warranty applies only to replacement batteries (OTHER THAN IMA BATTERIES) [emphasis added] purchased from a Honda dealer....."

THAT is the three year complete coverage battery warranty - - to the regular car battery!!

The IMA battery is a separate warranty listed in the back under "Federal and California Emissions Warranties Parts List". That clearly shows the IMA batteries to be covered for 8 to 10 years - depending on state involved.

There is no need to panic! The 3 year period is just talking about the normal car battery.

· Registered
35 Posts
I hate to see this topic get out of hand, so hopefully this will help clarify things.

The reference to the "Replacement Battery Limited Warranty" (page 32) says, "This warranty applies only to replacement batteries (OTHER THAN IMA BATTERIES) [emphasis added] purchased from a Honda dealer....."

THAT is the three year complete coverage battery warranty - - to the regular car battery!!

The IMA battery is a separate warranty listed in the back under "Federal and California Emissions Warranties Parts List". That clearly shows the IMA batteries to be covered for 8 to 10 years - depending on state involved.

There is no need to panic! The 3 year period is just talking about the normal car battery.
damn finally someone cleared it up, i was so confuse reading the post, this should be edit on the first topic stateing that thsi thread is about IMA Batteries

· Volunteer Admin
2011 CRZ EX, and 2011 CRZ Mugen 060/300
6,185 Posts

· Premium Member
628 Posts
I think a lot of the battery horror stories are related to models previous to the CR-Z. Certainly the new Li-ion batteries seem to be reliable so far. No winter problems here yet, although I've only had the car for a month.

· Registered
1,047 Posts
I'm wanting to buy a Cr-z and I'd love to know if it has the same IMA horror stories as the civic hybrid. I read such terrible BS about the civic hybrid's i was scared away from honda hybrids.. but I really really want one of these. can some owner's re-assure me it's okay and that the battery pack doesn't fail randomly? and that it does fine in cold weather, etc? just works relatively reliable in general? I've never owned any hybrid just regular ole' gasoline cars.
I have the 'refreshed' 2013 version with the lithium-ion battery. I have not had any issues and rather pleased with the recovery rate during hill climbs. The IMA in my opinion is as rock-solid as the rest of the drivetrain. There are forum members that have 150k and up!!

· Registered
209 Posts
I'm wanting to buy a Cr-z and I'd love to know if it has the same IMA horror stories as the civic hybrid. I read such terrible BS about the civic hybrid's i was scared away from honda hybrids.. but I really really want one of these. can some owner's re-assure me it's okay and that the battery pack doesn't fail randomly? and that it does fine in cold weather, etc? just works relatively reliable in general? I've never owned any hybrid just regular ole' gasoline cars.
The IMA system in the CR-Z is not new, in fact it's old enough that Honda has moved on to new systems, like the Plug In Accord. It started with the original Insight and has been improved ever since. The HCH was introduced relatively early in the IMA lifecycle while the CR-Z is at the tail end, and it shows. If there were rampant IMA problems it would definitely be visible on this board, like how other car boards have huge threads about a common reliability problem for that model. I'm sure there are anomalies here and there, but certainly no trends.

· Registered
1,920 Posts
I'll put it this way. You'll have more problems with the 12V lawnmower battery than the IMA. Seriously.

· Deputy Forum Librarian
4,813 Posts
Hi!

No one can really reassure you that the battery will not randomly fail especially if you're getting a used one. In this thread, http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/27969-abcs-cr-z.html, under Hybrid Battery are some discussions on it.

Here's a quote from one of the threads regarding warranty.

Good luck!

· Premium Member
1,360 Posts
Hate to be Donnie Downer, but this and all replies to it are discussion happening in the wrong place. The thread is for things you have done to your CR-Z, not the present or future shortcomings of IMA. Please take this elsewhere to continue, and bring this one back on topic.

Edit: Mod moved topic to on-topic thread. Links below are still related.

For more info:
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/engine-battery-discussion/11207-ima-battery-problems-really.html
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/engine-battery-discussion/3732-expected-ima-battery-life.html
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/1940-honda-cr-z-reliability-better-info.html
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/gener...-reliable-cars-among-hybrids-2014-report.html
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/off-topic-lounge/49522-hybrids-reliable.html

· Registered
118 Posts
To answer the original post, the IMA system in the CR-Z is essentially the same as the original Insight IMA system, introduced in 1998. The system is rock solid as far as anything motor-vehicle related gets.

Slightly less topic-related, the battery system (NiMH and LiIon) seems to hold up well (as does the rest of the electric system) over prolonged periods & conditions. Winter weather here in the Northeast is terrible for motor vehicle reliability. I sold my 2001 Insight to a friend when I bought my CR-Z. It had 167,000 miles on all-original drivetrain & batteries, still obtained 70mpg daily in good weather and is still on the road today, 14 years after I drove it off the dealer lot.

Say what you will, Honda's IMA system holds up as well as any ICE I've ever owned. Probably better as I've managed to kill 4 standard combustion engines in my lifetime (none of them were a Honda.)

· Registered
594 Posts
NiMH batteries are quite reliable and are still the choice of battery for Prius' up to 2014.

i've put 43000 miles on my '13 6MT (which has lithium battery) and mileage has been steady. i was weary at first so i opted for the extended warranty, but so far, there has been nothing that has indicated that the IMA or the new lithium battery will pose any issue in the long run.

i run 30-31 psi all around and my commute generally has me up in the 70-80 mph range. getting a steady 39-42 mpg.

the ONLY thing that has reoccurred for me was a "check IMA" light. it happened twice to me during my 2 yrs of current ownership.

however i know exactly what triggered this as i often use my car for work for pick up and deliveries, and sometimes the vents get blocked. it has happened to me once when it was very hot out and a plastic tarp was covering the entire trunk space, and once when i had tons of boxes stuffed back there (and behind the seats).

both times it reset after a restart

these issues have never occurred under normal circumstances even in hotter weather or long drives. and when i remind myself to keep the vents clear when i'm hauling gear around.

· Registered
783 Posts
I have a second gen civic hybrid, the one that gets most of the bad press (first gen less so, third gen not heard any issues yet). There was a class action suit brought which Honda paid up on. My civic had many recalibrations daily, dodgy regens, eventually the battery died and was replaced for free under warranty.

The energy balancing system simply wasn't as good as the Prius, despite the same battery chemistry.

Even with this history, I went with the CR-Z. It was obvious after driving the HCH that the CR-Z (Li-ion at least) had far superior energy management software in place and was doing a better job of keeping the battery topped up and useful.

I still have my HCH, replacement battery and all. It gets about 20% better mpg than the CR-Z but about 50% of the fun.

· Premium Member
1,360 Posts
I have a second gen civic hybrid, the one that gets most of the bad press (first gen less so, third gen not heard any issues yet). There was a class action suit brought which Honda paid up on. My civic had many recalibrations daily, dodgy regens, eventually the battery died and was replaced for free under warranty.

The energy balancing system simply wasn't as good as the Prius, despite the same battery chemistry.

Even with this history, I went with the CR-Z. It was obvious after driving the HCH that the CR-Z (Li-ion at least) had far superior energy management software in place and was doing a better job of keeping the battery topped up and useful.

I still have my HCH, replacement battery and all. It gets about 20% better mpg than the CR-Z but about 50% of the fun.
The recent software update for the '11/'12 Zs with NiMH has done wonders for my battery performance. I don't get random recalibrations anymore and I have more usable energy when driving daily. Also, as time has gone on learning the car and evolving my driving style, my overall mileage has crept up into the low 40s.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.