Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Honda CR-Z VS. Rivals

Fast, frugal and fun; Honda’s new CR-Z aims to be all three. Nothing unusual about that, but the coupé has a hi-tech hybrid powerplant – which normally focus on low emissions and big economy.

So does the CR-Z live up to its billing?

The petrol-electric drivetrain produces 122bhp, and claimed fuel economy of 56.4mpg. It propels the CR-Z from 0-60mph in less than 10 seconds, while a manual gearbox – a first for a hybrid – points to an entertaining driving experience.

For the CR-Z’s first group test, we’ve lined up two cars that offer a similar mix of pace and efficiency. Renault’s Mégane Coupé comes with a 1.5-litre dCi diesel, and promises to be even more economical than the Honda, and put out less CO2.

A nimble chassis, value for money price tag and practical interior take care of the rest.

The third car in our line-up is the BMW 118d Coupé. It offers low emissions and impressive economy in a premium package, and it’s close on price to the top-spec CR-Z GT tested here. All three cars provide different driving experiences with the same aim in mind. The question is, which one does it the best?

Article Found At: Honda CR-Z vs. rivals | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | Auto Express

·
Registered
693 Posts
Rivals? These are not the crz rivals. This guys are completily wrong, the crz rivals are gasoline powered cars like the scirocco 122hp and the mini cooper.

I disagree. From an Eco perspective these diesels are perfect rivals for a hybrid. But from and enthusiast perspective the Scirocco or Mini are also rivals. Unfortunately for Honda I think the CRZ will come up short on either measure.

For the CRZ to be a success in the USA it must present itself as a vehicle in class of its own. it won't win any sporty car comparisons (too slow), and it won't win and economy comparisons (too expensive, not enough MPG). But for those comparing it only to itself as a new class of vehicle altogether, perhaps there is a market. Certainly the original CRX was it a class of its own.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rivals? These are not the crz rivals. This guys are completily wrong, the crz rivals are gasoline powered cars like the scirocco 122hp and the mini cooper.
Agreed 100%...what in the world were they thinking in comparing it to a BMW? Definately should be in the same overall class as the Mini Cooper, VW Polo, Mazda3, Citroen D3, Renault's hatches, possibly the Ford Fiesta, and most notably the upcoming Hyundai "Veloster"...which is the dirrection that I'll be heading in depending on how the American CR-Z shakes out: Spy Photos: Hyundai Veloster Caught...Again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agreed 100%...what in the world were they thinking in comparing it to a BMW? Definately should be in the same overall class as the Mini Cooper, VW Polo, Mazda3, Citroen D3, Renault's hatches, possibly the Ford Fiesta, and most notably the upcoming Hyundai "Veloster"...which is the dirrection that I'll be heading in depending on how the American CR-Z shakes out: Spy Photos: Hyundai Veloster Caught...Again
did you look at prices, with a little haggling you can get the base 118d bmw for nearly £20k, which is the same as the top end CR-Z! Both are an economical 2/3dr city cars, so its a real alternative. But yes Mini and DS3 are probably closest premuim hatch rivals, and the Audi A1 when released, but the 1 series is in there

·
Registered
239 Posts
But for those comparing it only to itself as a new class of vehicle altogether, perhaps there is a market. Certainly the original CRX was it a class of its own.
:thumbsup:

I think that was the whole point. They wanted to put it in a class of its own like the CRX was. Honda is trying to go in a different direction especially after the new government in Japan said the country would cut co2 by something like 25% within a short period of time. If someone wants a fast car buy a fast car if someone wants a family oriented hybrid then buy that.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I agree 100%. Having owned a MINI Cooper S the fun factor, thrills, uniqueness is off the charts but reliability is in the basement. I need a fuel efficient, reliable, reasonable priced, sporty, "fun", car for my 80 mile commute. Next year there is whole mess of "Micro"/ fuel efficient cars coming out in 2011. So far the top 2 contenders is the CR-Z and the FIAT Abarth topping out the others.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I agree 100%. Having owned a MINI Cooper S the fun factor, thrills, uniqueness is off the charts but reliability is in the basement. I need a fuel efficient, reliable, reasonable priced, sporty, "fun", car for my 80 mile commute. Next year there is whole mess of "Micro"/ fuel efficient cars coming out in 2011. So far the top 2 contenders is the CR-Z and the FIAT Abarth topping out the others.
Mini isnt reliable? i know nothing about it so i am just curious what type of problems you had/have with it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I can speak to the reliability of Mini coopers as my wife and I have owner Minis since 2002.

Our Minis have always been reliable as far as starting and going. We have never had to have our cars towed for any reason. But they have always had some little thing that needed attention when ever we would bring them into the dealer for regular service. Usually little stuff and it was always covered under warranty. But when I would look at how much the dealer was billing Mini for the repairs, it was always a crazy high amount.

As a result we have not felt comfortable owning our Minis after the warranty had expired. This is probably a key reason why we are buying the CRZ. My experience over many years of Honda ownership has been that the cars rarely, if ever, have anything go wrong no matter how small. So I think reliability is a big feature of any Honda compared to a Mini. I am expecting the CRZ to be as reliable as my Honda fit and so far with almost 2 years of ownership my fit has had perfect reliability.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Mini isnt reliable? i know nothing about it so i am just curious what type of problems you had/have with it.
MINI's are a funny thing, they are either really good or really bad- mostly bad. Consumer Reports has rated the '02- '06 Coopers on the "don't buy" list. The Coopers S has more problems than the standard Cooper. In the 42,000 miles I owned it I went through 4 clutches and flywheels for the "wookie clutch". I Had to have the front and rear suspension rebuilt, replace coolant bottle, fuel pump, power steering cooling fan, valve cover gasket, power steering hoses, 3 motor mounts, mushroomed strut towers, A/C control panel, both power window motors, boot latch, automatic climate control sensor came loose, power steering reservoir, O2 sensor, numerous rattles, Main cooling fan, Stereo system issues and this all goes with the piss poor service from BMW.

The The '07's are supposed to be much better from my fellow Mini? MINI club mates but every once and awhile a lemon does crop up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any discussion about reliability will offer a hint as to why many of us are on the CR-Z Forum - Honda builds solid cars. I've owned Hondas for twenty-five years without any significant reliability issues. I have friends with Mini, R32 (amazing but breaks often), Merc SLK, Audi S4, 370z, Mazda3 M-speed and others. They've all had varying degrees of reliability problems. Keeping the car out of the shop is always a good thing. While the CR-Z may not be in the same league as some cars (i.e. blistering performance) - it should be a fun (and fuel efficient) drive for 20K. Most of us can no longer ignore MPG.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Im comming from an 04 VW GTi, before that i had a 91 CRX with DOHC ZC motor, si tranny plus other mods and swaps. Even with all the different components together i still didnt have reliability issues with my honda. My VW i had axle problems, electrical problems and workmanship problems with VW, shotty workers make for shotty working cars. Though i do drive 70miles a day minimum, im glad for the 3 driving modes for when im in "Rush" hour traffic and when i have open roads, i can get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Honda CR-Z VS. Rivals

Fast, frugal and fun; Honda’s new CR-Z aims to be all three. Nothing unusual about that, but the coupé has a hi-tech hybrid powerplant – which normally focus on low emissions and big economy.

So does the CR-Z live up to its billing?

The petrol-electric drivetrain produces 122bhp, and claimed fuel economy of 56.4mpg. It propels the CR-Z from 0-60mph in less than 10 seconds, while a manual gearbox – a first for a hybrid – points to an entertaining driving experience.

For the CR-Z’s first group test, we’ve lined up two cars that offer a similar mix of pace and efficiency. Renault’s Mégane Coupé comes with a 1.5-litre dCi diesel, and promises to be even more economical than the Honda, and put out less CO2.

A nimble chassis, value for money price tag and practical interior take care of the rest.

The third car in our line-up is the BMW 118d Coupé. It offers low emissions and impressive economy in a premium package, and it’s close on price to the top-spec CR-Z GT tested here. All three cars provide different driving experiences with the same aim in mind. The question is, which one does it the best?

Article Found At: Honda CR-Z vs. rivals | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | Auto Express

Seen the hyundai CRZ look-alike, claiming 140 hp and 40 mpg and upcoming hipo hybrid version with 'over 150 hp' and 40 mpg ?. get in the saddle, Honda. You're supposed to be the little guys Porsche. A 2 door Fit hybrid ain't it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Honestly, the cars they compared the crz to are weaksauce. It's like..civic dx vs a trecel. *lol* Honestly, the car is unique. You can compare diesel engines with diesel. But the crz is in another category. Gas electric. Find another gas electric and compare it. Then we'll see how it holds up.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Why do all the articles I read state, A manual transmission is a first for a hybrid?
The first insight had one.
they say this b/c it IS technically a first for a hybrid to use a 6-Speed Manual Transmission... and it's currently the only hybrid to use a MT...

it's sort of a play on words... it's a way to make it "sound" good to whoever reads it or hears about it...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.