Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the amount of good reviews coming out for the JDM/EDM CR-Z, what does everyone think this will do for the USDM popularity?

Have you regained faith in the CR-Z given the initial reviews on the car?

I have still yet to decide if the lack of back seats, HID lights, and leather hurt the USDM CR-Z in too many ways - will likely have some impact but who knows how much.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Given the amount of good reviews coming out for the JDM/EDM CR-Z, what does everyone think this will do for the USDM popularity?

Have you regained faith in the CR-Z given the initial reviews on the car?

I have still yet to decide if the lack of back seats, HID lights, and leather hurt the USDM CR-Z in too many ways - will likely have some impact but who knows how much.
HID will be availabe for the US models. You'll have to get the EX trim to get the HID.

Personally, I don't care for the non functional backs or the leather.
I'm sold on this car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm pretty sure no one I've talked to in central Ohio has heard of this car yet. I've been in my dealer's ear since last summer. He still doesn't know jack and he DD's a clean white CRX which tells me he's a Honda fan of sorts.

I bought the 2009 Fit when they were first hitting North America. These types of releases are gradual. The dealers rarely get decent info until June/July. They aren't making the car in the states (yet if ever), so the hype builds as gradually as the dealers get their selling information and then eventually some inventory IMO.

I've never lost faith in this car. (i'm not one of those babies who has to get from 0-60 in 5-6 seconds, and FE is already better than my Fit.) I'm pretty sure the car won't see the same instant results here that it did in Japan. It'll do okay though. I don't think you'll see to many sitting in dealership lots the first year or so. Most likely the car will be bought by order.

I plan to go all out. I skimped on the navi on my m/t TW Fit Sport. I will buy the nice trim package w/navi this time around. I also plan to have the dealer do a clear bra before I pick the car up. (Driving 160 mi. a day for work is like getting a paint chip a day)

I'm okay with the lack of the options you mentioned if the price is also less than the price for the edm/jdm (which i think is part of Honda NA's plan.). I figure the parts will be out there for the true enthusiast.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The back seats have pretty much been trashed by the press as worthless. Almost all true sports models are two seaters. The lack of leather is just one of the actions American Honda has taken to keep the U.S. MSRP as low as possible. The price must be right to attract buyers into considering this type of car. The Japanese and European prices are too high for such a specialty car in this country.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Now that I'm seeing better pictures and video of the car, I'm more interested. I still think the angle of the hood versus the windshield is a bit off-putting, though. Only when I see the car in the metal will I know if I like it or not.

With the CR-Z I'm eager to see one of the few interesting, affordable, reliable SMALL cars on the market. I hope Honda will get the car onto the dealers' lots here in the midwest by mid-summer; September/October in the midwest is not the time to try and sell a two-seat sporty car - even a new one like the CR-Z.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i'm still sold on it... the price is the only thing that will make/break this car... i mean i want great efficiency/performance... but if it's north of the current gen Si, i'd rather buy another one of those b4 spending money on the CR-Z... my '06 Si got great gas mileage and while not in the CR-Z range, the performance made up for it... i'm sacrificing a faster driving car for a car that handles great and gets good gas melage... i think the CR-Z falls in that category...

side note: took the IS-F on a road trip to Georgia, North Carolina, then back to South Florida and driving around 70mph we averaged between 27-28mpg which i thought was amazing for a 5.0L 420hp vehicle...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like the press about how great the car handles, that's what has always impressed me about Hondas. I'm intrigued by the commentary on the low end torque provided by the IMA in sport mode. I'm glad there won't be any rear seats, loved my CRX, sporty yet practical with lots of cargo space. My S2000 was fun but wasn't practical, hardly could put a suitcase in the trunk. My civic hatch was practical but not that much fun. The CRZ is the merging of sport and daily driving practicality. My Integra was about the closest to the CRZ I think, just about the same dimensions (a little longer) and weight, similar performance, hatchback, fun to drive but practical. But Honda is taking it to the next level with the CRZ, maximizing the fuel economy those tight little 1.5L VTECs can provide. I think it's going to be a big hit. Small cars are making a comeback and people are more concerned with fuel economy, I think there is pent up demand for something like this. But it has to be priced low enough for the same type of person who bought the CRX back in the day. Just like the Fit, they hit a great market for this car, but like the fit, it needs to be affordable to make it pay off.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I doubt positive reviews from autorags will help that much. Spread the word the car exists yes but I think most readers are already enough in the know to be aware of the existence of the CR-Z.

The popularity of this car will follow one of two trends:
- Niche but beloved market. Like TDI's.
- Absolute sales disaster despite fairly positive reviews. Like the Insight II.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I doubt positive reviews from autorags will help that much. Spread the word the car exists yes but I think most readers are already enough in the know to be aware of the existence of the CR-Z.

The popularity of this car will follow one of two trends:
- Niche but beloved market. Like TDI's.
- Absolute sales disaster despite fairly positive reviews. Like the Insight II.

My theory on the Insight II failing in sales is the fact that a nice pre-owned Prius can be purchased for the same or less money. Bottom Line is Honda was just too late on releasing a Prius-class car.. Unless someone comes out with a superior CRZ-class vehicle quickly, I think it will have an easy time selling in Honda's intended volume.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can't wait to test drive one. Test drove the new Insight and was impressed with the handling and adequate engine power.

I average 27 mpg on my current 09 Civic EX-L Cpe w/Nav and Aero Kit w/Fogs. I will defenitely, seriously, consider trading to a well equipped CRZ, for the newness, uniqueness, FE, and for in town commuter with some HWY.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.