Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Honda CR-Z EX in Toronto, Canada, eh!

Having a 1988 Red Honda Civic hatchback and always envying the CRX, for years I've been waiting for the CRZ to finally arrive in Canada. On Saturday July 10th, at a Mercedes meet at Sunnybrook park, a Honda Canada employee who just got an automatic CRZ EX the day before was passing by and checked out our Mercedes meet and offered me a test drive. This CRZ from Honda Canada is probably the demonstrator for the Canadian media car reviewers. Knowing that the Honda dealer won't even get the CRZ until late August or early September,.... Where would I drive this CRZ to? A Honda Dealership! And of course, some of the staff came out in awe.

Keep in mind, I'm not a professional car reviewer.

Under the hood, I'm amazed so much technology fits in such a small engine! The Honda Dealership staff were amazed the battery was so small.

In the CRZ,... you don't sit as low as that old generation of 1988-91 Civic/CRX. Seats are comfortable with good support. Here in North America, the back seat area is for storage only whereas in Asia there are real back seats there,... same scenario as the 1988-91 CRX. The back seat area of the CRX & CRZ isn't big enough to fit the average North American butt! Like the CRX, the CRZ has a nice large back glass area on the hatch for visibility when reversing. But now we have two decades of technology available,... parktronic sensors and reverse camera,... sadly neither of these are available on CRZ.

Blind spot visibility is many times worst than on the CRX. CRZ blind spot visibility is scary. You'll need to pray every time you change lane.

Handling is signature Honda,... it feels like a Honda. Quite smooth and corners well. Decent braking.

Acceleration is preppy. I didn't feel much of a difference in driving between Econ and Normal mode. When driving in Sport mode, there's definitely an added punch and you feel and hear the engine revving more. While a common comment (usually from those who never drove a CRZ) is that it's underpowered. The CRZ is definitely more responsive and ready for action in Sport mode and feels a bit more powerful than it really is,... and I don't see why anyone would take it off Sport mode.

Relatively small leather covered steering wheel that give a nice racy feel. Finger tip steering wheel mounted shifters. Nice assortment of steering wheel mounted buttons that'll take some getting used to. Lots of plastic.

Dash is sporty with well placed buttons and controls but lighted instrument clusters are a bit too flashy. Oh, and I really love the mile/hr & km/hr conversion buttom,... make cross border trips much easier. Seems to target youth drivers. I'm early 40's and having a Mercedes C-class, I'm used to certain luxuries like leather seats and panorama glass sunroof.

The original CRX came with a glass roof in Japan but not in North America. North American CRX Si got basic non-glass sunroof. North American CRZ doesn't even come sunroof,... and definitely no glass roof.

Way back in the late 80's and early 90's when the CRX was so popular,... the CRX drivers were in their 20's. Well, we've been waiting almost 20 year for the CRX to return and now we're in our 40's,... and we don't want a low trim car for 20 year olds. We've driven and owned many cars since our 20's and we're now accustom to finer trim levels and features. Add heated leather seats and all glass roof and the CRZ will appeal to that large crowd of CRX lovers who have grown up and acquired more finer automotive taste but long to cruise down Main Street on a Saturday night cranking up Depeche Mode. Ahhh,... glory days.

Overall, the CRZ feels a bit like the old CRX,... but rather feels more like the CRX successor, the Del Sol. If you ever driven a Del Sol with Vtec and feel that extra spunk when the Vtec kicked in,... turn it down a notch or two and you have what it feels like to drive the CRZ.

As is Honda Canada's habit of adding features once sales are less than expected,... any serious CRZ buyer should wait it out. Wait until after the initial first year sales. See if Honda Canada starts importing a more feature rich CRZ,... with heated leather seats, all glass roof, LED headlights trims and back seats.

regards,
Raymond Jean

Attachments

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Honda CRZ EX in Toronto, Canada, eh! - more pics

Notice: the really small battery under the hood
Also notice the odometer only had 99 km on it,... and I didn't want to give it back! :sadwavey:

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Thanks for sharing!!! glad to hear some real-world comparisons with the older CRX/Del Sol... and it's even better when you consider this review was about a CVT non-navi model...

Notice: the really small battery under the hood
the battery you see under the hood isn't the battery for the IMA system... i hope you realize this... the batter pack for the IMA system is under the rear storage area...

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the old 88-91 Honda Civic & CRX, you'll feel the road more,... especially since you're sitting lower with your legs extended out practically like you're sitting on the floor! A very sports car like driving position. With the new CRZ, you sit a bit higher up like on the Del Sol,... and the ride is much smoother.

Seat-wise, I like the 88-91 Honda Civic Si & CRX Si Recaro style seats much better. They hug the driver with much better lumbar support.

It might have been better to compare the CRZ with the Insight, both original and present,... but unfortunately I've never driven any Insight.

I noticed the gas & brake pedal were very Mercedes-Benz Brabus like,.... looks like stainless steel aluminum with black rubber nubs.

Yeah, I know IMA system batteries are in the rear. When I dropped by the Honda dealership, one of the sales guys that saw the car was admiring the small battery under the hood.

That battery even looked smaller than one in my 88 Honda Civic hatchback. I had that car for so long and changed the battery so many times, many different brands,... the Honda OEM battery are great! To better survive the Canadian winter, I would put in the largest battery with highest cold cranking amp that would fit,... I think it was battery for Accord or Prelude.

Bizzybear, nice avatar! I don't think the CRZ will be comming to Canada with those LED headlight trims. I didn't notice them on the CRZ EX that I drove.

MikeCR-Z, it looks like white will be the CRZ signature colour. Assumption made because the CRZ that I test drove was white and it seems to be the one Honda Canada will be using for the Canadian media car reviewer.

Certain auto maker like Mercedes have signature colours for certain models (maybe different for different generation and pre/post facelift). For example, my Mercedes C-class coupe has the signature colour of Adventurine Orange (called Paprika Metallic Red in North America because North American would shy away from Orange car),.... it's a burn copper red colour. With Mercedes, all advertisement of that model (TV, newspaper, car review) must feature a picture of that model in the signature colour. Models of the signature colour are never sent to the dealership unsold to be sitting in the dealer lot. Mercedes will only produce it once an order has been placed. And Mercedes dealers charge extra for signature colour models, as well as premium colours.

I'm not sure if Honda will go as far as Mercedes, to only ship the signature colour model to dealer only after an order is placed,... so that a signature colour car would never be sitting in a dealer's lot unsold. But I think we'll be seeing a lot of the white CRZ in advertisements. That is assuming I'm correct that white is the signature colour for CRZ and that Honda has a signature colour policy.

Attachments

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ask and you shall receive,.....

BTW,...... somebody wanna ask me for some "RICE",.... PLEASE!

These interior photos are NOT from the automatic (CVT) CRZ EX I test drove on Saturday,... These interior photos are from the CRZ EX I saw Tuesday which was Standard 6 speed maual transmission CRZ EX. Again,.. without NAVI

Interestingly,... the 6 speed manual transmission CRZ EX does NOT have paddle shifter. Whereas the automatic-CVT CRZ EX had the paddle shifter. Right is +,... Left is -

My Mercedes C-class coupe does not have paddle shifter but has adaptive touch triptronic shifter (adapts to your driving style) with + and - touch shift knob. And I find that much smoother.

On automatic-CVT CRZ EX,.... coming to a stop I was down shifting on paddle and felt each gear going down. If you don't paddle shift down, its very smooth. On acceleration, up shifting on paddle,... you don't really feel it,... same like not using paddle shift. Even if you shift too fast,... nada. There is a cool display on the instrument control to tell you what gear you're in.

Anyways,... stick to sport mode. Preppy with nice little exhaust note.

Anyways,... in the photos,... one was taken from against the rear bottom glass window. Yes, that bottom split window is made of glass! Which is better than the bottom split window on my Mercedes C-class coupe,... which is made of plastic and the curvature causes the image from the other side to look odd sometimes.

Oh,... BTW,... I found some weird sensor on the top of the dash near the window (check photo),... it's on non-driver side dash just inside window,.... square-ish with small dash coloured dome and little light colour rectangle. I asked the Honda rep there,... he didn't seem sure but guess it's a rain sensor. But it's like 2 inches from windshield. On my Mercedes, the rain sensor are near rear view mirror and right up against windshield.

Attachments

· Registered
693 Posts
I think the sensor is the sunshine sensor. It is used by the automatic climate control to determine how much sunshine heat to compensate for. My 1991 NSX was one of the first cars that had automatic climate control where you set the temperature and let the car decide what is needed to achieve that temperature. The sunshine sensor was integrated to address the issue of it being the correct temperature, but still feel too hot since the sunlight is shining on you.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TCroly, I think you're right. The Honda Canada Product Consultant/Rep I spoke to earlier today, told me it's a sunshine sensor to turn on the HID. And I notice there seems to be automatic climate control. But it looks like a 2 part sensor,... one white transparent probably for sunshine. The other was dash coloured dome that the Honda Canada Product Consultant/rep says it might even just be a dummy sensor for a gadget that's used in Japan but not here.

GoHuskies, I got some better photos of the radio and inside dash for you,... from inside of the CR-Z this time.

NOTE: on radio, bottom left of dial there's an AUX input plug.
Non-navi radio is not standard double DIN. Honda Canada will NOT have Navi model, thus Canadian who wants to replace non-NAVI radio with standard aftermarket navi will need to do it on their own. Get standard double DIN Navi faceplate-bracket from USA dealer. Canadian dealer won't have them since Honda Canada doesn't have any CR-Z with NAVI

NOTE: Little fully rubberized sunglass holder/compartment above radio area. BTW, that's not my finger. :)

NOTE: Under radio area there's USB, bluetooth, 12V (120W Max) Power Outlet

I'm not sure what kind of fabric is used for the interior seats and door panel,... but it feels durable. Looks like aluminum colour,.... seats are more little checkerd aluminum with black.

Anyone want any other shots of the CR-Z?

BTW,...... somebody wanna ask me for some "RICE",.... PLEASE! Anyone want to see pictures of the sports/aero package available for Canada (probably same for USA)?

Attachments

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I started another thread for "Honda Canada/USA 2011 CR-Z Sport Aero Package"
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/honda...-canada-usa-2011-cr-z-sport-aero-package.html

That White CR-Z EX with sport/aero package gives a whole new meaning to the term "I'm gonna stick to you like white on rice!" Almost literally! If you look closely at the back of the rear deck spoiler, you might notice some glue residue. It's supposed to be bolted on but Honda Canada didn't have the proper bracket from Japan in time,... so they just glued that rear deck spoiler and it was loose! I also noticed the side skirt/spoiler/flare thingy was also squeezable and I could see some glue if I squeezed hard enough.

Anyways,.... here are some seat photos from that White CR-Z EX. Photos were taken outdoors during in sunlight.

Note,... that huge blind spot,... passenger side blind spot. The passenger side mirror is convex to give driver a larger view.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
"Attachments Pending Approval" :pat:

you should use an image hosting site like imageshack.us, flickr.com, or photobucket... then you can show the pictures directly and not have to wait for approval in a thread like this...

also, do u see any reason why they couldn't just use double-sided tape to hold the parts on?? that's normally what they come with anyways... i don't think glue would be the proper answer for this, especially when you're trying to showcase a new car...

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was behind the CR-Z speaking to the Honda Canada Product Consultant/rep when I noticed someone pushed down on the rear deck spoiler and it moved like it wasn't supposed to,... there was too much play. It could have flew off at highway speed!

Apparently, these spoiler were made to be bolted onto a bracket. But they didn't get the bracket in time. So they just wanted a temporary fix. Thus the glue. If you look closely at the bottom right part of the spoiler, you'll notice some brownish glue dripping in the hot sun!

I recommended 3M VHB double sided tape which is the best. Also the windex trick to position it correctly. But of course, the problem with double sided tape is removing it (using dental floss),... it's a real pain.

If you used double sided tape instead of bracket system, the thickness of the double sided tape will make that bottom gap more apparent. See how the bottom of the spoiler isn't totally flushed with the bottom of the painted part of the rear deck.

One problem with using double sided tape on a Honda is that Honda tends to last a very long time,... and you better make sure the double sided tape will last longer than the Honda! Otherwise things will be flying off your Honda.

The Red spoiler is from the Honda Japan site.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.