Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I'm new here. I'm about to purchase a Honda CR-Z. I do currently own a Civic Hybrid, which I just recently bought a 800€ coilover set for.
I do really like these coilovers, and I am wondering if I were to change the tophead with the one that is currently on the CR-Z (stock), if this set would fit on a CR-Z?

I reckon it doesn't matter too much, but it's a Riaction (RiactionUSA) set for the FD3 (Civic Hybrid) which I am talking about. The CR-Z I'm looking at right now is completely stock and has stock suspension and topheads.

Hopefuly anyone knows if this would be compatible, as I have no clue on how to find this out.
Thanks a lot in advance! :)

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
Look at original part numbers for original replacements for both cars at Honda Parts at Honda Parts Now | Genuine OEM Honda Auto Parts( or use RockAuto for both cars see if they sell the same part numbers for both cars) If both cars have same part numbers than I would presume the parts are interchangeable between them.

When I owned a Grand Prix as it was a W body and the Impala was also a W Body( there were many other models from all GM divisions over many years) , I was able to use parts from either car for my suspension for instance. As far as interchangeability on Honda's since I am still on all original suspension I do not know.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
Aren't most cars strut front and shock spring rears? At least every car i have owned in the last 20 years has been. Googling around I have found many articles stating the most common setup is strut front shock spring rear. Even when i googled Honda Civic Hybrid it too was strut front shock spring rear.

· Registered
69 Posts
but the fronts are struts. A shock with a coil spring is the same as a Coil Over. Just not adjustable.
Yes the fronts are struts. The difference is with a double wishbone you have struts in the rear. The damper itself is load bearing. On our cars, the rear spring is load bearing, thus we have shocks. This isn't very common these days.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
We still haven’t answered the OPs question. I was unaware of the 4 strut systems as I have not owned one. As stated most of the articles I read stated common setup is strut front shock spring rear. Guess all are out of date.

my first posting was a way for the OP to determine compatibility.

thank you for the education.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to both of you for replying :)

I've had a call with the store where the coilovers came from and I chose to return them because one of the struts (if that's the correct name for them) on the front seems broken...
So I guess it's no longer necessary for me to take the coilovers in to account when buying a CR-Z.

Thanks again! Hoping to post a CR-Z on here soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.