Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CR-Z 01
Picked up my Milano Red CR-Z Sport last week, Looks fantastic, drives well, bit tight in the 2 rear seats, ok for small adults & kids, view out the rear bit restricted with the bar across, but will get used to it, the dealers in the uk are not giving any discount on the cr-z, so you can only negotiate on your trade in or cash!!, best of luck, only done about 90 miles so far so not able to comment on handling, other than it appears good, rear parking sensors “great”, think they should be on the front as well, as you are not able to see the front of the car when parking behind another car etc, no doubt will get used to it, having sensors fitted to front is an option, although expensive!! About £600 in UK!!!

I have found one problem which i thought Honda had made a mistake with, which turns out to be deliberate for some unknown reason, as i have phoned them to confirm, as follows.
Has anyone of you owners of this vehicle noticed that in the UK right hand drive, that your drivers right hand mirror no longer has the extra blind spot on it to aid safety when lane changing for overtaking etc, as it is now fitted to the near side of the car as Honda say, there is a blind spot when you are reversing the vehicle!! I have been told by Honda that the European models will be the same, i.e., no blind spot mirror on driver’s side, where is the sense in that?? & safety factor??
The following is from an email i received from Honda UK yesterday. I was told that the only way Honda will do anything about it is if enough people complain, so CR-Z owners, over to you!! I have.

““Just to clarify our conversation today I would like to confirm that the driver side blind spot mirror is the correct spec for the UK market.
European models have the blind spot on the opposite side, but neither UK nor Europe have a blind spot mirror on both sides. There is no current plan to alter the design going forward.

In answer to your question about ordering the European right hand side blind spot mirror, we are unable to offer this as an option and the blind spot angle will be wrong for the UK market, hence then becoming a safety issue””.

I also checked on other models, civic, jazz, cr-v all in last 2 yrs have blind spot mirror on drivers side, plus many other manufactures have it on the driver’s side, some on both sides.

I hope many others contact and complain to HONDA from UK & Europe in the context of uk right hand drive & Europe left hand drive, as this applies to them, also think North America as well, maybe someone can confirm this.
Please inform others of this issue, point them to this forum. Please let me know what response you get from Honda Customer Service. Telling Honda how you feel will be the only way they will change the setup.

What are your thoughts on this?? Anyone in the press or media follow up on this issue??

·
Registered
163 Posts
Good catch. My 2003 Jazz has the blind spot mirror on the drivers side, so I expected the CR-Z to have it, especially due to the lack of rear and rear-side views when overtaking or lane changing.

I already have an email thread going with Honda UK over the HFT issue, which they are now rectifying (re-printing the brochures for the UK). I'll also complain about the blind spot mirror issue now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also contacted VOSA for there take on the safety issue, reply as follows in brief-this is laid down on safety grounds for all ca makers minimum requirement, i have not done this test my self yet, but believe it is part of mot?
Measure back from side mirror 4mtrs,then measure out 1mtr, object/person should still be visible in your mirror, also measure 20mtrs back & 4mtrs out, same as above applies,I have not tried it yet, but know doubt it will pass, if it did not, then VOSA can take car maker to court to force them to rectify problem on safety grounds.
I also contacted the AA with the wing mirror issue, awaiting their reply,
I hope many others contact and complain to HONDA from UK & Europe as this applies to them, also think North America as well, maybe someone can confirm this.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Well, in europe (on the left seat driving in my case) the blind spot mirror is indeed on the wrong side..

Its indeed very very strange.. but the seller (yep, I know), says there is no viewing problem at all if you drive with it.

If it is indeed dangerous, maybe we can switch? :)

ps: Mugen are selling special mirror glasses to replace the original.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been driving my CRZ now for about 2 weeks, and can't really say that it has been a problem for me, I suppose it's what you are used to. My last car had the same arrangement, so maybe I'm used to it.
Must say that for me it's the best car I've owned, so much fun in sport mode :thumbsup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have also been in touch with my Honda dealer regarding the lack of a drivers 'blindspot' mirror on my UK spec CR-Z....& had the same reply!
It seems crazy to me that the CR-Z is not fitted with one, because there is no view out of the rear side window when you turn your head before overtaking, say on the motorway.
:cry:

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's the same with my LHD car. It's just a matter of being aware of what's around you a bit earlier when you prepare for an overtaking, I guess. I haven't had any problems with it so far anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had mine about a month and no problems with this. Just got used to it. It's actually better than the UK model Civic I traded in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
push your side rearview mirrors out a bit more than your use to, that will solve the issue. It's the same on the 1st Gen Insight.

Don't place your side view mirrors where you can see the side of the car. Lean back in your seat and push the mirrors out to where you just get past where you can see the side of the car. Do this on both sides, problem solved.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Like every cr-z idd..

I realized something today, the CR-Z has a huge window/side view (bigger then the back) but not on the other side if you have a passenger. So it make sense why the blind spot mirror is on the other side!

Think about it!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm guessing they'll be quite a few of these "Mine's arrived" posts over the next few weeks. You guys are lucky. I have 3.4 months (or 14 weeks, or 102 days) before mine is expected, not that I'm counting :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
wtf, I was sure I was replying to your thread with your new car. Weird.

I have to wait because my dealer got their info wrong and I ended up ordering the wrong grade of car, by the time I figured it out (Beginning of July) an order for the UK GT model in Red was 4.5 months !!! Probably because of the shipments to the US/Canada etc, pushing back new orders.

·
Registered
163 Posts
They are loaning me a car for 2 months starting 1st Sep since that is when I needed it. Not sure what I'll get yet, probably a Jazz.

I think it will be worth it for them to keep my business, I'm likely to be buying over £2k worth of dealer fit extras.

·
Registered
23 Posts
push your side rearview mirrors out a bit more than your use to, that will solve the issue. It's the same on the 1st Gen Insight.

Don't place your side view mirrors where you can see the side of the car. Lean forward in your seat and push the mirrors out to where you just get past where you can see the side of the car. Do this on both sides, problem solved.
+1

Thats what I was taught when first learning to drive too..... You shouldn't see any paint in side mirrors

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
You want to see your back wheelcase (?), trust me, because the backwindow is to small to see anything good enough when you are inserting between cars in motion.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts