Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready for a strange story? I picked up my 2011 CR-Z 6MT at a Kia dealership of all places. It only has about 32k on it, and the previous owner took great care of the car. It still feels brand new. However, I'm worried about the basic warranty running out in 4k miles.

I've been looking around online for some decent Honda Care quotes that allow you to pay off the warranty rather than purchase it in full up front. I'm thinking since the car has about 32k miles and I'm guessing to put about 12-15k miles on it a year, that I should go with a 4yr/80k Honda Care plan, or maybe even a 5yr/100k plan.

BTW, it's my first stick shift and I used to want a CR-X back in high school. Needless to say, my new CR-Z is nothing short of a dream fully realized and while I definitely want to mod the car at one point I alo want to take the best care of it in stock form and make sure she runs perfectly.

Any advice for my warranty situation? What problems have you guys noticed in the year (or however long) you've had your CR-Z? Do you guys have the hook up on a Honda Care plan? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
491 Posts
There's arguments to be made for both sides on the fence on this. IMHO if you're going to keep the car past 5 years or over 80K miles, I would get the extended warranty. Honda or no Honda.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I got time through the dealer when I purchased my car new. Did 5yr/60k miles. Like stated above, if you plan on keeping it for awhile I would get the warranty. So far I haven't had to use mine but its nice knowing I have it to fall back on

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Word. I'm pretty much keeping this until the wheels fall off. It just looks like Honda Care is going to be cheaper and it would definitely make me feel more comfortable and confident driving the car around. I've checked out Sanducci (sp? ) Honda and they have pretty legit pricing. I'm definitely going to need a payment option to grab a plan, but I'm unsure if they have that available. Waiting on them to email me tomorrow.

I'm also worried about some random shop working on my car. At least with Honda Care, it's all certified techs and Honda parts.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If nothing happened in the first three years/36000 miles I wouldn't purchase another one. Odds are any future expenses will be deemed wear and tear and seen as maintenance items.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything for it. Save the money for when wear and tear starts happening. If a warranty item were to fail, it would have already happened.

I'm knocking the other side of the fence that wants longer warranty protection. It's a gamble either way and I just happen to like my odds.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You would be surprised what the hybrid portion of your warranty covers ..in short I wouldn't waste my money on extra warranty , some of which will be redundant.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hybrid portion of my warranty? It's not Honda Certified Pre-Owned. The factory goes out in 4k miles. Do the CRZs have different warranty conditions from regular gas engine Hondas?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hybrid portion of my warranty? It's not Honda Certified Pre-Owned. The factory goes out in 4k miles. Do the CRZs have different warranty conditions from regular gas engine Hondas?
There's a separate warranty on the Hybrid system which also has greater coverage if you're in a CARB state. I forgot what it is but it should be with your books.

Since its a Honda you're in an unbelievably mechanically reliable car. But the extended warranty would be for the non-mechanical things that will inevitably need to be replaced after the 6 year mark. I owned an Infiniti for 12 years and kept a spreadsheet on all the work done on it and just by the trend in repairs it was amazing how much wear and tear and non-mechanical stuff needs to be replaced after the 60K mile mark. Nothing that was major mechanical but all those little things add up. If you're not mechanically inclined and your OCD like me, you'll appreciate the little non-mechanical things that get covered by the extended warranty b/c the labor rate now is over $100/hour at the dealer.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
Most parts of the IMA system to include batteries are basically warranted to 8 years or a 100K. In CARB states such as California I believe it is 10 years or 150K..

·
Registered
112 Posts
This is the very reason why I went back to Honda. I had a Subaru before the CRZ and it was absolute junk. I honestly think I would have been better off with a Nissan or Mitsubishi. Subaru continues to use Boxer engines which are outdated and bad on gas. Honda and Toyota always win in the reliability department. As for the warranty.... I would hold off. I have owned 6 Honda's and have never once had a horrible issue like the throttle body failing in the Subaru. The L15 has been a proven motor for reliability. It debuted in 2001, so it's been out there for awhile. The L15 is one of the best engines Honda has made.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Look at your warranty book , the hybrid portion warranties much more than the battery ect , theres a long list of parts covered that you wouldn't expect , just about anything that allows the car to run ..and the warranty is longer than what your buying .

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is the very reason why I went back to Honda. I had a Subaru before the CRZ and it was absolute junk. I honestly think I would have been better off with a Nissan or Mitsubishi. Subaru continues to use Boxer engines which are outdated and bad on gas. Honda and Toyota always win in the reliability department. As for the warranty.... I would hold off. I have owned 6 Honda's and have never once had a horrible issue like the throttle body failing in the Subaru. The L15 has been a proven motor for reliability. It debuted in 2001, so it's been out there for awhile. The L15 is one of the best engines Honda has made.
I agree with Viet. I've owned 9 Honda's and the one thing you get from a Honda is reliability. I've paid for the extended warranty on about half of my Honda's, never put in a claim, and usually put >100K miles on a vehicle before getting rid of it. Sure, owning a Hybrid for the first time is a bit scary, but I think that I could practically take the money I'd spend on an extended warranty, stash it away, and by the time I have any major problems I'd have the cash to cover it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

And Viet - you think Subaru's are bad? Try a 2002 Mustang GT. It truly lives up to the Fix Or Repair Daily moniker.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for all your help. Since it's my first real car I decided to grab the 5 year 100k Honda Care from a dealership in town.

I brought a sheet of quotes I found shopping around online and the business manager offered me 100 off the lowest price. Not super huge, but it's almost three tanks of gas. In this car, totally awesome. :)

·
Red&Black
6,005 Posts
I also got the 5yr/100k Honda Care plan for my CR-Z. It being the first model (2011), I figured its better to be safe than sorry. And $935 for 5 years is not bad at all... I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens to it, but at least I feel safe. I get road side assistance, too! This was my first car as well :)

Unless you count the 1998 Civic DX Coupe I got on craigslist for $1500...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's up Holly! I came across your "buy post" last night and almost replied to it. You a;ready bought the car? It looked like a great deal. Yeah, I feel a lot better with the warranty, and it's also my first stick shift as well. I just wanted to cover all of my bases. It's way better to be safe than sorry. Plus, for the price of the warranty I have a $0 repair bill and a free rental in case something goes wrong. Worth the headache saved if an issue does pop up!

·
Red&Black
6,005 Posts
Oh yea, the free rental. Its all good stuff!

I discovered this Z while searching online last week. Four days ago (Saturday), I test drove it and figured out the financial stuff. Then last night I sealed the deal and drove it home :) I showed the salesmen the two keychains I already had bought for my pairs of keys:

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts