Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Today, Honda released their sales numbers for August 2010. Overall sales were 33% lower than last year, but last year's sales were driven by the cash for clunkers program.

The CRZ went on sale on Agust 24 and in the 8 selling days they sold 694 CRZs.

It is not clear how to interpret this result. Compared to the 10,000 orders that were placed in Japan during the first week of introduction back in March this is pretty weak.

Compared to the more than 2500 cars presently sitting on dealer lots, this would also seem a pretty poor result.

However, 694 cars sold in 8 days is a sales rate of more than 30,000 cars per year, but I don't think anyone expects the first week's sales rate to be maintained throughout the whole year.

My gut reaction to this number is that the CRZ is not being recieved well by the market. But I think we need a full months worth of sales before any conclusions can be drawn.

·
Supporting Vendor
492 Posts
I wouldn't jump the gun just yet -- to be quite honest most people I talk to that aren't "car people" don't even know what the CR-Z is! I keep having to tell them, NO it's not the CR-V..."

Given some time, and once the stateside guys get their hands on them -- I'm confident we will see sales rise over the next few months.

- Jason

·
Registered
360 Posts
I figure it's a whole new vehicle and category that hasn't been marketed in the states yet. Once we start seeing advertising and real consumer reviews from early adopters, I suspect sales will rise quite nicely.

·
Registered
618 Posts
FWIW, John McElroy of Autoline said in a recent podcast that Honda's internal CR-Z targets are to boost US sales to nearly 50,000 units a year by 2015.

To put that number in perspective, that's about in line with the average annual US sales of the original CRX, from 1984 through 1987.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW, John McElroy of Autoline said in a recent podcast that Honda's internal CR-Z targets are to boost US sales to nearly 50,000 units a year by 2015.

To put that number in perspective, that's about in line with the average annual US sales of the original CRX, from 1984 through 1987.
I can understand why America Honda would like to achieve sales of 50,000 or more per year but I would be willing to wager everything I own that they will never sell any more than 25,000 CRZs in any single year in the US. In fact I bet they do not sell 50,000 CRZs, in the US, total, over the next 4 years.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wouldn't jump the gun just yet -- to be quite honest most people I talk to that aren't "car people" don't even know what the CR-Z is! I keep having to tell them, NO it's not the CR-V..."

Given some time, and once the stateside guys get their hands on them -- I'm confident we will see sales rise over the next few months.

- Jason
Even in Japan many people do not know what the CR-Z is, but they sold over 10000 in a month.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I can understand why America Honda would like to achieve sales of 50,000 or more per year but I would be willing to wager everything I own that they will never sell any more than 25,000 CRZs in any single year in the US. In fact I bet they do not sell 50,000 CRZs, in the US, total, over the next 4 years.
To put that into perspective, Honda sold about 65,000 S2000's in the US... over 11 years. Granted it was more expensive and a proper sports car.

In terms of visceral reaction among enthusiasts, the CR-Z seems more like the Del Sol than the S2000. Honda sold about 75,000 Del Sols in the US, but look at the distribution:

1993 25,748
1994 21,075
1995 14,021
1996 8,489
1997 5,603

Honda's expecting a hockey stick curve in 5 years for the CR-Z, to approach numbers once held by the CR-X. Are they being realistic or delusional?

Let's hope there's something to the 2012 engines that can make that happen for the CR-Z. The marketplace in the affordable, well handling, eco compact car segment is about get rather crowded with new offerings from other manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
North America - August Sales Figures

saw this on TOV (vtec.net) and thought i'd post it here...

694 CR-Z's sold in the month of August... considering the car went on sale Aug 24th... i'd say that's pretty decent considering the lack of advertising for the car... i don't expect those sales to multiply out each week... but it's cool to know that with little effort the car sold quite well it's first week :thumbsup:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To put that into perspective, Honda sold about 65,000 S2000's in the US... over 11 years. Granted it was more expensive and a proper sports car.

In terms of visceral reaction among enthusiasts, the CR-Z seems more like the Del Sol than the S2000. Honda sold about 75,000 Del Sols in the US, but look at the distribution:

1993 25,748
1994 21,075
1995 14,021
1996 8,489
1997 5,603

Honda's expecting a hockey stick curve in 5 years for the CR-Z, to approach numbers once held by the CR-X. Are they being realistic or delusional?

Let's hope there's something to the 2012 engines that can make that happen for the CR-Z. The marketplace in the affordable, well handling, eco compact car segment is about get rather crowded with new offerings from other manufacturers.
Good information on the Del Sol sales numbers. Without getting off topic, I'll say that I think the sales comparison to the Del Sol might be very applicable here. The CRX was well loved and when the Del Sol came out it was not nearly as well received by the CRX fans. It sold 25,000 in it's first year and 21,000 in it's second. I think these sales were driven by it's uniqueness, but after that it's sales fell dramatically and 3 years later it was history.

My bet is that the CRZ follows a similar sales pattern with lower peak sales than the Del Sol achieved. Unless, as stated above, a new engine breaths new life into the model in 2012 or 2013.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Good information on the Del Sol sales numbers. Without getting off topic, I'll say that I think the sales comparison to the Del Sol might be very applicable here. The CRX was well loved and when the Del Sol came out it was not nearly as well received by the CRX fans. It sold 25,000 in it's first year and 21,000 in it's second. I think these sales were driven by it's uniqueness, but after that it's sales fell dramatically and 3 years later it was history.

My bet is that the CRZ follows a similar sales pattern with lower peak sales than the Del Sol achieved. Unless, as stated above, a new engine breaths new life into the model in 2012 or 2013.
while i agree to an extent, i don't think anyone can really do a direct comparison with nearly 20 years ago... technology has taken over a lot of things including cars and more and more people are interesting in the little things that cars have to offer ie: features, tech, etc... i really think the CR-Z will sell close to Civic numbers if there is supporting advertising and support from Honda and its fans...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well what we're looking at is Honda's sporty "niche" segment for 2 seaters. Which historically has been CRX - Del Sol - S2000. I think the Del Sol flopped so hard that Honda had to really raise the bar. I'm not comparing the CRZ directly to the S2000... completely different cars. But I think it's important to look at the sales history of the sporty niche line when we're trying to understand Honda's volume expectations.

On a related note to sales: marketing. Are there any TV commercials for the USDM CRZ? I'm not a TV hound, but I don't have a sense of any ad campaign going on here.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I see a lot of Honda commercials over here but have never seen a CR-Z commercial. Most of the marketing was done by the dealerships by sending out letters to their patrons to come and check out their new car. Plus living in the middle of a Honda town we always know what car is being made before they hit the dealerships.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
saw this on TOV (vtec.net) and thought i'd post it here...

694 CR-Z's sold in the month of August... considering the car went on sale Aug 24th... i'd say that's pretty decent considering the lack of advertising for the car... i don't expect those sales to multiply out each week... but it's cool to know that with little effort the car sold quite well it's first week :thumbsup:
I agree with Bizzy here. my take;
1. Another factor there is 0 advertising for the CR-Z.
2. A factor for my city (I don't know about others) is they have one CR-Z and one Honda dealer for a population of 460,000 people. So they are not exactly flooding the lots with them or people to see.
3. Also the economy is still in the tank and going down and filled with uncertainty. Even GM has lost 25 million despite all the hype and programing for the Volt.
4. Another problem with all the car reviews that have managed to get out is, with exception of a few, they have been pretty much all negative. For example I got my Consumer Reports Magazine yesterday and they had a section for 2011 cars. Although they gave a brief review of cars like the Leaf, Fiesta, Mazda 2, IQ, Fiat 500, and the Nissan Juke ( butt fricken ugly! The new Aztec to me ) they lumped the CR-Z and Lexus 200h together in a very short blip and this what they wrote; The CR-Z now on sale, is a small two- seater for buyers who want sporty looks with there fuel economy. But an early drive shows that it's not that sporty to drive or very fuel efficient for a hybrid. Pricing starts at 19,200

The way this car is going to survive is by word of mouth and if there is a market for it and enthusists.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think another problem is that Honda botched the mix for the initial batches (at least from what I'm seeing in the PDX area). The dealers that have stock have loaded them up with just about every option available. While this makes sense from a showroom point of view, it kills potential sales as people like me aren't desperate enough to pay for $4000 worth of fluff over the car we want just to drive one home today. There are just too few 6spd versions to choose from around here at the moment, and I'm going to have to resort to putting in a special order.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.