Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about you all, but I am starting to sense an overwhelming lack of "caring about" the CRZ from the US portion of Honda. I say this because of several specific reasons and more of a lack of talk and interest.

I noticed a few weeks ago that the link to the CRZ was remove from the main page of Honda Cars - New and Certified Used Cars from American Honda . You now have to dig down through the "Future Vechicals and Concepts" where it was back last year.

Maybe not a big deal but still it provides less exposure for the CRZ.

Additionally the public voice of Honda America doesn't mention it in the media. Like for example this mornining the VP of Sales for Honda America was on CNBC talking about the New York auto show. He did the usual speal about how the market is improving and sales are getting better, blah, blah, blah....

Then the interviewer asked "What great new products does Honda have coming out?"

He spoke about the TSX wagon and the ZDX......

A new station wagon version of an existing car and a station wagon that has been out for 4 months.

No mention of the CRZ, notta, zip, zippo....

I just feel like the Japan sales levels are making Honda lose interest in the US market for now. I hope I am wrong and I am sure there is a good chance I am, but I am just not getting a good feeling.

Do you all agree or dis-agree?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Par for the Course

American Honda is clueless when it comes to what it thinks will be a nitch model. If they believe sales will be under 50,000 units they have little interest.

They originally told Honda that they didn't want or need the CR-Z for the U.S. market. It wasn't until they actually drove the prototype last year that they agreed to give it a shot in the U.S. They realized this was no ordinary hybrid.

They did almost nothing to promote sales of the S2000 after a weak ad campaign at the time of launch. Instead of looking at it as a halo model such as the Viper for Chrysler or Corvette at GM, they viewed it as a slow seller not worthy of sales promotion.

Honda dealers have received virtually no information on the CR-Z from Torrance. But the one good thing that may come out of American Honda's apprehension is their insistence on a price beginning close to $20K. Like the CRX, American Honda will undoubtedly be surprised by a much highter sales volume than anticippated. So the big question may be: "Can Japan produce enough CR-Z's to meet world demand?"

·
Registered
148 Posts
too bad theres no information right now on what capacity the production plant is running at. if they're running 100% capacity right now then we're screwed.

The target of 1000 cars per month for the japanese market is a sales target. its not the max production. therefore even if they sell more than 1000 cars per month, they should still be able to produce that many after they slightly change production.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Don't Pay a Premium

If it's true that Japanese demand is running 10 times higher than forecast, then you can expect that the combination of high home market sales and filling Europe's pipeline will either (1) delay U.S. introduction or (2) make CR-Z's extremely scarce here for several months.

So if you're after an early CR-Z at MSRP or less, write up your own deal NOW and take it to your dealer with a small deposit. If you don't now how to write up a simple contract let me know and I'll send you an example.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The interview was regarding the NY Auto Show, which explains why the answer included the TSX Sportwagon (NY will be its USA debut, plus most in the USA have no clue that this is already being produced and sold in Europe, and has class-leading interior volume.. It's a great car!). The lack of the CR-Z in his answer probably has more to do with the fact that it already had its 15 minutes of fame during the Detroit Auto Show, and the fact that 10,000 of the first year's 12,000 have already been claimed; why hype a car that's already selling well overseas when you can throw in a plug for a slow-selling 50k SUV/Coupe (ZDX) and this year's newest release (TSX Wagon)?

My theory on Honda re-burying the CR-Z page on their site is the fact that it was initially plagued with negative comments from people. Mostly "why is this car so heavy?" and "please give it more power!"... It turned into bad publicity

·
Registered
148 Posts
If it's true that Japanese demand is running 10 times higher than forecast, then you can expect that the combination of high home market sales and filling Europe's pipeline will either (1) delay U.S. introduction or (2) make CR-Z's extremely scarce here for several months.

So if you're after an early CR-Z at MSRP or less, write up your own deal NOW and take it to your dealer with a small deposit. If you don't now how to write up a simple contract let me know and I'll send you an example.
so would this contract be official ?
also how much do you think the msrp would be above invoice ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
All Contracts Are Official

There are two types of contracts; verbal and written. Unless you have credible witnesses, verbal contracts are hard to enforce. When buying property of any kind, you should use a written contract.

A written contract is simply a signed agreement between two parties specifying what each party will do to satisfy the agreement.

It's always best to specify as much detail as possible in the contract to avoid misunderstandings. Anybody can write a contract, you don't have to be an attorney.

If buying a CR-Z at this time before prices are known, you'll probably have to agree to pay full MSRP in exchange for early delivery, in which you specify base or EX model, color(s) and options acceptable to you, etc. Other than price, don't be afraid to ask for as many things as you can think of when writing the initial contract. The dealer can say no, but you'd be surprised how far they'll go to sell a car they don't know will be hot, especially when you're offering full MSRP.

I'm not an attorney, but I've written dozens of contracts over the years, so let me know if you need help.

Last, try to include an "escape clause" so that if you change your mind, you can either get your deposit back, or at least apply it to another vehicle or use it in the service department without any time limit.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
oldchap14,
Can you send me an example please?
For the "escape clause", I wonder if it's okay to say "If I don't like it after test drive, I can get 100% of my deposit back."

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
to my knowledge dealers CANNOT hold you're money unless they had you sign paperwork already essentially selling you the car ie: Vehicle Contract...

since that is true... you can go and put $25,000 down on the car and order it and even let it get to the dealership, but if you don't enter into a legal contract with them you can get your money back as long as you show proper paperwork (receipt) supporting the amount you put down...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sample Contract

CR-Z CONTRACT

Date: (put date you see dealer)

I, (your full name) agree to pay a deposit of ($500.00-neg) to (Honda dealer's name) to purchase a 2011 Honda CR-Z (base or EX model) at MSRP or less, plus applicable taxes and fees. Dealer agrees to deliver CR-Z with (specify transmission type) in (specify one or more colors) with (specify options desired, if any). I do not want any other options unless included at no cost by dealer. (dealer's name) agrees to deliver CR-Z with the above features within 15 days (neg) after the first CR-Z arrives at (dealer's name) from American Honda.

I intend to arrange financing with (dealer's name) prior to delivery (neg)
OR
I will arrange my own financing and pay the balance in full at time of delivery.

(Dealer's name) will provide a test drive prior to delivery. If for some reason I conclude the CR-Z does not meet my expectations, I may cancel this contract and my deposit will be refunded in full.
(neg.)

___________________ _ ______________________
(your sig & date) (dealer sig & date)

(neg) means negotiable.

Note: Dealer may want to transfer all of this information to one of the dealer's own pre-printed Sales Agreements. Make sure NOTHING is left out that was in your proposed contract.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Correct! I'm a fleet manager for honda. you put a "deposit" down, and it will get you nowhere near to getting any priority treatment. pay in full, or get in line. Insight sales have been sluggish and AMHC doesn't expect much better from CRZ with the exception of a few markets. If demand in Japan and Europe is high, CRZs will be priced above the 23-25K mark (invoice) that means with dealer add ons and fees you are looking at a 30K car. Ito said the CRZ was designed for europe, the US thing is just and experiment.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Correct! I'm a fleet manager for honda. you put a "deposit" down, and it will get you nowhere near to getting any priority treatment. pay in full, or get in line. Insight sales have been sluggish and AMHC doesn't expect much better from CRZ with the exception of a few markets. If demand in Japan and Europe is high, CRZs will be priced above the 23-25K mark (invoice) that means with dealer add ons and fees you are looking at a 30K car. Ito said the CRZ was designed for europe, the US thing is just and experiment.
i know u work there and all, i'm a former Honda employee myself... i really hope you're wrong about the pricing for the US... but i have a feeling that you might be right and that will FOR SURE kill the deal for me buying a CR-Z...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Find a GOOD Dealer

My dealer gratefully excepted my $500 deposit on the first six speed CR-Z they receive in one of my three color choices.
Price to be MSRP less $100 (told the dealer I never pay retail). :)

For two months they have been working with regional mgr. to get my first color choice and optional 17" wheels. I told them I would take either base or EX model, but no other options unless at no cost.

And, if it looks fairly certain there will be an R model before July of 2012, my order will roll over to the first R. I'll just have to enjoy another two years with my S2000 :)

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
sorry oldchap but i have to agree with dragon on this one... with my past experience working at 2 different dealerships and his experience as a fleet manager... trust us when we tell you that unless you pay in full... your deposit really doesn't put YOU on any priority list... they will even go so far as to show you a list that you're on and all the other names as well but this "list" isn't binding to them even if they have your deposit...

example: i put $1,000 down on an '06 Fiji Blue Si w/Navi... official Si release date was December 2005... my deposit went down beginning of November in '05 after i test drove one at a "Ride & Drive" event a week or so prior... the dealer showed me i was on the list like #7 or so for an Si but #1 for a Fiji Si w/navi... they put in the orders for the Si in the order THEY wanted and also what Honda was giving them...
in the case of limited cars, big dealerships might get 4-5 a month 3 maybe 4 of those can be w/options of their choosing... the others is what Honda sends them... i WAS the first to receive an '06 Si w/navi in Florida... but i got it in April 2006... 4.5 months after the car was released... and btw i started working for that dealership in January 2006...

i'm just pointing out that while you might be the first on the list, dealerships will ultimately do what they want when it comes to our "deposits" on an unreleased vehicle... i really do hope you get one as soon as possible... if your dealer is a bit smaller, that might help to put your vehicle a priority to them...

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you're picky about getting exactly what you want, wait until the cars are out and contact a dealership that sells more than 400 cars a month, they are in the best position to track you down a car on the In.Honda network (it's like an intranet). If they don't happen to have the exact one you'd want coming to them, (they can see about 2 months ahead on cars produced in the US, and about a week or two on those imported) you will be made to pay full price plus delivery from a dealer trade.

From where you are, your best bet will be Stockton or Lodi Honda. They are in favor with AMHC for consistently being top dealerships.

·
Registered
133 Posts
A Contract Is a Contract

Yes, a deposit doesn't guarantee anything, but a written contract does, and it doesn't have to be a dealer's sales contract.

As I said, a GOOD* dealer will work with you to get the car you want if they think the price is fair. In my case, NOBODY at the dealership had heard of the CR-Z when I ordered mine in Jan. 2008. But they are bending over backwards to get their first car delivered in my specs.

*This same dealer sold me their first S2000 at MSRP in 2000 when Southern California dealers were charging $10K or more over MSRP.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, a deposit doesn't guarantee anything, but a written contract does, and it doesn't have to be a dealer's sales contract.

As I said, a GOOD* dealer will work with you to get the car you want if they think the price is fair. In my case, NOBODY at the dealership had heard of the CR-Z when I ordered mine in Jan. 2008. But they are bending over backwards to get their first car delivered in my specs.

*This same dealer sold me their first S2000 at MSRP in 2000 when Southern California dealers were charging $10K or more over MSRP.
which dealership is this?

·
Registered
31 Posts
CRZ will be a hit to the U.S., mostly because many people want a nice clean sporty little hybrid car for everyday commute...the 6spd really helps in this dept. otherwise...the racing scene for this car is little to none, because it is not equipped with the essential race bred engine and suspension designs that it was suppose to have.

honda could care less because majority of sales are to people who don't race or care about racing their cars...whether it be street racing or track racing.

why else do you think the civic EX outsells the SI variant by more than 2 times.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello,

Let me tell you how I bought my CR-Z.

First, I established a good relationship with the local Honda dealer. I bought my Civic hybrid from the dealer just down the road from where I bought my Toyota Supra. Toyota gave me excellent service and the only reasons I turned to Honda were that (1) Toyota had no plans to replace the Supra (they still have not done so) and (2) the person who sold me my Civic was very happy to take my Supra (he sold it within a few hours). Of course, I paid cash for the Civic.

When the CR-Z came along, we sat down and planned the timing. The release date for the car was Feb 25 in Japan, but Honda had been accepting orders well before this. I wanted the car in early April, so my order was placed in late December 2009. The order was placed without any advance payment. After the catalogue was published in late January, with accessory catalogues from Mugen and Modulo, I finally signed (with my official seal) an agreement to buy the car that had already been ordered (with factory options included). The car was paid for before it actually arrived. It arrived exactly when Honda stated it would (April 4).

This is Japan, of course. I do not know whether the CR-Z is being produced in the US. In Japan Honda will make a specific number of cars within the year (in Suzuka), for both the home market, in Japan, and all overseas markets.

Best wishes,

PAG

1 - 20 of 28 Posts