Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts

· Registered
811 Posts
Jalopnik - Drive Free or Die

Wow

Citing poor market conditions HKS USA, formerly one of the largest aftermarket JDM performance companies in the country, is ceasing U.S. operations after nearly three decades in business. A letter obtained by Jalopnik shows the company will consolidate its work to Japan.
A letter from HKS to its dealers and vendors went out this afternoon, much to the surprise of companies who have been using HKS parts for decades. The letter blames the move on the slow economic recovery, a shrinking aftermarket, the U.S. Dollar, and the disaster in Japan.

The company will continue to sell parts to the United States, but all operations will be transferred to HKS Co. Ltd. in Japan while HKS USA is folded

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
so does this mean it is now a bad idea to buy HKS products before it moves back to japan? or does it mean to act fast if you are going to buy HKS products?
Both...?? Maybe the former if your expecting local support for issues. This announcement is disappointing. Any vendor/Sponsors want to chime in?

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
why not buy one so it doesn't cost you more to ship one from japan?
Good point. But local support on issues is always a good thing. Especially on a new first run car... as opposed to something that has been around for a few years..

· Registered
1,679 Posts
it really didn't help that the 2hp intake cost $450. i got an intake for my 06 mustang gt, back in 06 when it was new, for $190, and it netted me 10rwhp.

· Registered
1,305 Posts
all this really means is that parts will take a little longer to get here and less accessible support directly from HKS.

i ordered coilovers and it arrived in 3 days.

once the move happens, an order like that will take a few weeks depending on stock.

this is the 3rd or 4th jdm company to declare bankruptcy or move back to japan in the past few years. we can thank replicas.

· Registered
744 Posts
all this really means is that parts will take a little longer to get here and less accessible support directly from HKS.

i ordered coilovers and it arrived in 3 days.

once the move happens, an order like that will take a few weeks depending on stock.

this is the 3rd or 4th jdm company to declare bankruptcy or move back to japan in the past few years. we can thank replicas.
with distributors doing most of hks usa's stocking I would say things wont really change, it always took 3-4 weeks if something was out from HKS anyway.

· Registered
744 Posts

Guys so far no company has taken the role of sort of being a major US distributor and stocking... so if you want to order I'd say order now... things will probably take a few months normalize again

I just talked to a distributor today that said they will be getting it in no problem

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.