Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share the newest and only mod on my CrZ.

HKS GT Supercharger kit.

Pics:

The car is still with Evasive Motorsports.
I have not picked up the car or seen the dyno graphs first hand.
The car produced a 30% gain in power.

I will happily post more info once I pick up the car in the next 5-7 days.

Some more info:
The car was completely stock prior to install
The car was tuned with flash pro.
I was told I could expect a 45% in power from stock by installing an exhaust and getting a retune.

Any suggestions on a good exhuast?

Lu

·
BANNED
3,501 Posts
Looks almost exactly the same as the JR kit. I wonder which SC unit they use for that kit. 30% is what? 40 hp?

Curious as to what the differences are between this kit and the JR kit also.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks almost exactly the same as the JR kit. I wonder which SC unit they use for that kit. 30% is what? 40 hp?

Curious as to what the differences are between this kit and the JR kit also.
HKS uses a "Rotrex Style" supercharger that they knocked off a few years back, it comes with no tuning solution or injectors, and is not Carb legal.

·
BANNED
3,501 Posts
HKS uses a "Rotrex Style" supercharger that they knocked off a few years back, it comes with no tuning solution or injectors, and is not Carb legal.
JR uses the Rotrex C30-74 supercharger. Are you saying that HKS made their own supercharger designed after the Rotrex?

No upgraded injectors is probably why they aren't getting the extra 15% gains or so that jackson is.

·
Registered
235 Posts
JR uses the Rotrex C30-74 supercharger. Are you saying that HKS made their own supercharger designed after the Rotrex?

No upgraded injectors is probably why they aren't getting the extra 15% gains or so that jackson is.
Yes, they copied the Rotrex. You still need to get injectors, it just isn't included with HKS' kit. Also you need to buy FlashPro or another tuning solution + Tune.

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts
Yeah, I recall those two quotes from that thread's author:

Review so far: -
The HKS supercharger kit alone didn't make much power with the stock exhaust. After the full system exhaust was installed, the car performed much better amid increasing fuel consumption. We have yet to pull any dyno runs but performance in the power division feels disappointing.

and

The HKS Stage 2 did present us with new quirks that we couldn't bear. The exhaust started spitting out loud pops of unburnt fuel when the throttle was released (Not ideal for a daily driver). The car, although impressive, felt excessively eager when you're on the throttle and jerked a little when you lift off (Sport Mode only, we;re driving the car on normal mode now!).
Since there is no Flashpro for our ECU (RTW-P02) we decided to buy a USDM ECU. We hooked it up and replaced the FCON-IS with the Flashpro. The USDM ECU did pose a few problems: - Firstly, cruise control does not work. Secondly, the CEL for Check Emissions System is on with all three driving modes malfunctioning. Thirdly, Hill Assist may work, sometimes. As of now, we're extensively testing the car with the flashpro with a conservative map till we get our RTW-P02 OEM ECU back from Hondata. Hopefully they'll crack it open and provide a flashpro to run on it.

Hope that they have this addressed (that was an old thread, so I have my fingers crossed for the OP here).
Edited: the last post was from this month - ACK!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chris, are you being a Jackson fan boy and an hks hater? Lol
Organizations steal ideas all the time from each other, that's how things are improved and innovation begins.

I found out yesterday that I will get the car back on Tuesday.
The kit was installed by a rep from HKS and the Evasive team.
The car was tuned on flash pro which is better than a piggy back system.
Although, I've heard and read good things about the fcon system, I am quite happy they chose flash pro.

·
BANNED
3,501 Posts
Chris, are you being a Jackson fan boy and an hks hater? Lol
Organizations steal ideas all the time from each other, that's how things are improved and innovation begins.

I found out yesterday that I will get the car back on Tuesday.
The kit was installed by a rep from HKS and the Evasive team.
The car was tuned on flash pro which is better than a piggy back system.
Although, I've heard and read good things about the fcon system, I am quite happy they chose flash pro.

I don't think anyone is being a fanboy or a hater. Just pointing out a small flaw in the HKS kit.

And I agree the flashpro is the better system for easy of use.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Detail on the charger:
HKS Gts7040
Produces 150 -400ps. Converts to 147-394hp
Max impeller speed 120,000 rpm

Rotrex c30-74
Produces 187-347hp
Max impeller speed 120,000 rpm

Very similar chargers.