Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corsport has been playing with my emotions. When i ordered the HKS intake from them i got the tracking number and saw it would arrive the next day - needless to say i was delighted. I guess they wanted to see exactly how happy they could make me if they surprised me. This morning I got the tracking number and went to FedEx.com. When i put the number in it told me that the exhaust shipped on 1/26 and that they already tried to drop it off at my door! Surely they were trying to pull a fast one - like Christmas in January. Seriously though. Great service. :hi5:

So i called FedEx and arranged to have the exhaust picked up at the store. My only car is the CR-Z and while it can hold a lot, the box for the exhaust proved to be a bit too long to fit in the hatch with the seat forward all the way. Luckily i was 4 blocks from home so i drove home with a half closed hatch.

Anyway, on to the show...

^the packing material is formed perfectly to keep the metal pipes from touching each other and to keep them almost perfectly still in the box.

^instructions are in japanese but installing the exhaust wont be rocket science. 5 bolts in total. About 2 hours before installing ill spray some WD40 on the bolts

In my quick once over i didnt see any parts of the pipe that taper: so it goes straight through. I will see if i can find a ruler and measure the pipe diameter and compare it to stock. Planning to install tomorrow. Ill post up some impressions and some installed pictures afterward.

·
Registered
421 Posts
looking forward to a video clip of the exhaust. congrats. i never understood why HKS uses that extra tank thing on their exhaust? other HKS exhaust systems have that extra tank. i guess it's a sound resonating chamber? kinda like the Hemholtz (sp?) resonator.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put the car up on ramps, there was not enough clearance to get to the 3 bolts around the cat. Also, in the cold those darn exhaust hangers are frustrating to take off. i got tired of being outside in the snow so i only took the rear section off. Drove to a Midas and in 20 minutes I was out with the new exhaust installed.

Sound is good. Its mellow and deep / sporty but people wont know youre coming for miles either. No rasp at all. The GF also said she could hear the difference but it wasnt annoying for what thats worth. In my limited testing on the highway i couldnt get it to drone one bit. All in all im happy with the exhaust. Only thing i noticed is the midpipe isnt a lot larger in diameter than stock. I think the size of the pipe and the resonator thing above the muffler contribute to the refined sound.

I'll put up some pics tomorrow and ill try to get around to a soundclip.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How does it feel? Throttle response and etc.
throttle response is the best part of the exhaust and the intake i installed. With the two combined i notice better response starting off from a stop in 1st, rev matching and more. The car is easier to drive in general. I didnt dyno my car yet so i have no idea how much power its making but the added response makes the car more fun.

pics or ban!!!
lolz

Yeah, a lift and the proper tools makes it a 5 minute job. Garage floors and no tools makes it hard. Glad you got it taken care of.

These are back in stock.
Yeah, the install is seriously on a difficulty scale a 1 out of 10. I wish i had a lift and a garage. I was in the driveway with a tarp down over snow with the car on ramps... there was no way i was getting that done lol. I was surprised, i thought there would be more clearance when the car was up on ramps - i have no patience for putting the car up on stands for something so simple so it was worth the few dollars to pay someone.

·
Registered
421 Posts
based on the pics, this is the full cat back system, correct?

can you post a pic of the rear? the pics online are from under the car and it's hard to tell what the tip looks like from a normal prospective.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
based on the pics, this is the full cat back system, correct?

can you post a pic of the rear? the pics online are from under the car and it's hard to tell what the tip looks like from a normal prospective.
ill take some pics soon of it installed. its been cold and dark / snowing all week into the weekend.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.