Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hitch installations + Bike Rack

Curt Manufacturing Hitch (Model# 11077)

The hitch is use for bike rack (Thule Roadway 912XT) & ski carrier (Thule 987XT), will post pictures w/ bike rack & ski carrier when they arrived.

Left rear (Before parts remove)

Right rear (Before parts remove)

Right rear w/ muffler temporary lowered & hitch put on loose

Left rear w/ hitch put on loose

Hitch put on loose

Left rear w/ plastic cover trimmed & hitch tightened

Right rear w/ plastic cover

Installation completed

Left rear bolt w/ rust check coat

Center bolt attached to rear jack-point w/ rust check coat

Right rear bolt w/ rust check coat

Rust check coat

http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterlibrary/11077/installsheet/CM_11077_INS.pdf

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thule 912XT Bike Rack

Thule 912XT Bike Rack, re-paint to white and it looks 10x better than the original stock color black ... :thumbsup:

with arms in up (ready to load) position

i put the trunk cover bar on top, to show how far the rack stick out to the rear

with arms in down position

you might ask why it looks not vertical? not because the way i hold the camera, but in fact, i did not tighten the lock bolt that attach the rack to the hitch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very nice

I was thinking about getting roofrack for bike and my snowboard but this is i think better idea. Great job !!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice job!! How is the ground clearance when going up a driveway?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job!! How is the ground clearance when going up a driveway?
since the rear bumper is very close to the rear axial, I had this install for over 2 months, drove on bumpy area including off-road, not a chance to have either the hitch itself or the bottom of the rack hitting the speed bump or gravel ... :cool:

plus no problem going up on driveway (i'm living in a condo, driving up a steep ramp every single day)

·
Registered
101 Posts
since the rear bumper is very close to the rear axial, I had this install for over 2 months, drove on bumpy area including off-road, not a chance to have either the hitch itself or the bottom of the rack hitting the speed bump or gravel ... :cool:

plus no problem going up on driveway (i'm living in a condo, driving up a steep ramp every single day)

Very cool!! Can you tell us how much trimming of the underside plastic is required?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very cool!! Can you tell us how much trimming of the underside plastic is required?
Dunno how to say it as I did that in my friend's garage, but see the attached pic., I trimmed along the red dash and will have one quick-clip left behind (as spare)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it easy to take off? I want to get the hitch so I can pull my scooter to places but I'm not sure if our car can handle 200lbs + a small motorcycle trailer.
From what is says on the owner's manual, our car is NOT design to tow anything, I have mine on just ONLY for bike rack and snowboard carrier in winter.

And I only attach the rack on if needed (lucky my locker is like 20m away from my spot) and i only takes less than 5mins to install/uninstall the rack!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
he Mount for the Receiver weighs 200 pounds? gosh that will take a small hit on the mileage... for all the times your not using it.... I thought something for bikes would weight maybe 50 pounds... that must cost a lot for shipping.... Am I wrong? I would like to get a hitch just for a few time a year that I want to put a mobile HF antenna on the vehicle for long trips... and maybe a bicycle if I can get my lazy butt on my bike, it probably needs new tires by now. haha

·
Registered
17 Posts
OKay Nice install. I was concidering doing something like this on my next vehicle cause I am a ham radio operator and it would be nice to have a sturdy mount that I can put on to hold a HF antenna they can be a bit bulky. but I am wondering, a friend of mine said never to get a bolt on hitch, that you always want it welded on. Any comments on this.... I will probably use it for at most 25 pound bicycle or for my antenna which weigh less. Ho much does this thing weight empty... does it add about 40 to 60 pounds to the car having it on there.... Is there a difference between brands out there any comments on this will help me weight my decision. Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't really put the hitch on the scale before the installation, but I'm guessing its approx. 50lbs on its own, the bike rack i put on is approx. 25-30lbs.

Originally I wants to install the more famous brand 'Hidden Hitch', but they don't even have the system for CR-Z, and I end up found 'Curt Manufacturing' Product #11077 and got it online approx. for $120, and took it to install at my friends' garage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
does your hitch sag at all when weight is put on it...??? i just installed one... and got almost the same exact rack... but for some reason it sags a lot :/

·
Registered
40 Posts
The hitch installation looks great!

Just to note, the car manual states that the maximum load for our cars is only 400lbs / 181kg (check p. 194 or the label in the driver's side doorjamb). Not a whole lot of breathing room after you stick two North American sized adults in there :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does your hitch sag at all when weight is put on it...??? i just installed one... and got almost the same exact rack... but for some reason it sags a lot :/
sorry I missed your post as busy like hell last couple days.

it does sag a bit like the hitch opening is pointing downward (slight angle) instead of flat.

but I do not have any issue even with the rack is on, due to the rear axle is so close to the rear bumper, even a high speed bump or going up/down to underground garage still perfectly fine to me (I'm living in a condo, up/down the ramp every single day), also had been to multiple road trips, gravel road or muddy light off-road condition with the hitch and don't have any issue at all.

i'll post a picture up after the weekends with some measuring tape to show how much mine sag with the rack is on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The hitch installation looks great!

Just to note, the car manual states that the maximum load for our cars is only 400lbs / 181kg (check p. 194 or the label in the driver's side doorjamb). Not a whole lot of breathing room after you stick two North American sized adults in there :)
you are correct, but lucky that i'm an average chinese (from Hong Kong) and 98% of the time I only have one person (me) in the car, so together with the hitch + rack + gears, maybe just a break-even to two North American adults (absolutely no racial discrimination) ... ^_^

·
Registered
82 Posts
8FUN8, thanks for the awesome write up! I just bought a hitch and we're gonna put a flat luggage tray thing on it and drive 7,500+ miles. We'll write up how it goes!

·
Banned
651 Posts
I didn't really put the hitch on the scale before the installation, but I'm guessing its approx. 50lbs on its own, the bike rack i put on is approx. 25-30lbs.

Originally I wants to install the more famous brand 'Hidden Hitch', but they don't even have the system for CR-Z, and I end up found 'Curt Manufacturing' Product #11077 and got it online approx. for $120, and took it to install at my friends' garage.
and the door jamb says total weight of occupants plus cargo must not exceed 400 pounds.
You are definitely going to void your warranty.....serious.

doh, i re-read a few posts up, you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
19 Participants
Tazzaro13
Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
The CRZ community features the latest reviews, mods, pics, and specifications about the Honda CRZ hybrid.
Full Forum Listing