Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Need to replace low beams and didn't know they are so expensive. Called Honda and they said €246 which is around $280 for each. I need only one but will I have to replace both? As I've researched I need D4S 35W bulbs. Found one link for $50. Does anybody know if these are any good or is there any better store? I'm based in Ireland. D4S HID Factory Replacement Bulbs

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Much cheaper from here and yes replace both as they dim over time and never ever touch the glass with your bare fingers. They are where I ordered all my bulbs to go LED and for these brighter than stock. They are a manufacturer and if you contact them they will make standard shipping free. Just mention this site.

Replacement OEM HID Bulbs for 2011-2016 Honda CR-Z (pair) $60 for the pair.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Those are 8000K the ones I got are 5000 or 6000. glad you found what you wanted. Hope they are decent and don't touch the glass! OEM are 5000.

That item is a conversion kit for halogen bulbs are you sure that is just the OEM equivalent bulbs?

Thanks for the advice. Finally bought this for under $30 for both :D Hope they are ok. Had good reviews for the price.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Xenon-Headlight-Replacement-light/dp/B01M8ICITW/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=d4s+bulb&qid=1594914449&s=books&sr=1-3

·
Registered
82 Posts
Much cheaper from here and yes replace both as they dim over time and never ever touch the glass with your bare fingers. They are where I ordered all my bulbs to go LED and for these brighter than stock. They are a manufacturer and if you contact them they will make standard shipping free. Just mention this site.

Replacement OEM HID Bulbs for 2011-2016 Honda CR-Z (pair) $60 for the pair.

Do they really dim over time? Some people have said the lights in my car seem low but i thought HIDs dont lose brightness until they fail.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Yes, Over time the inside of the glass bulb gets smokey or the bulbs dim. If you read any articles or see any shows where they talk about modern headlights they always say to replace both due to this issue. The lenses also cloud over time which is why there have been several epic threads on here about how to restore them and or prevent the issue. That happens due to abrasion or degradation of the plastic.

More details here

Do they really dim over time? Some people have said the lights in my car seem low but i thought HIDs dont lose brightness until they fail.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Those are 8000K the ones I got are 5000 or 6000. glad you found what you wanted. Hope they are decent and don't touch the glass! OEM are 5000.

That item is a conversion kit for halogen bulbs are you sure that is just the OEM equivalent bulbs?
I saw that the ones linked are 8000K, but they are also available in 6000K, but I will assume he bought 8000K indeed.

Furthermore, you state that this is a conversion kit. Would that mean these lights don't fit in a CR-Z that already has HID bulbs?

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
That was what I was unsure of. The listing states conversion kit. If it is a conversion kit then I would presume it is Bulbs, Ballasts, Adapter plugs and other parts but for the price that seems odd. Hopefully it is just the right HID bulbs and the description is off.

I saw that the ones linked are 8000K, but they are also available in 6000K, but I will assume he bought 8000K indeed.

Furthermore, you state that this is a conversion kit. Would that mean these lights don't fit in a CR-Z that already has HID bulbs?

·
Registered
67 Posts
That was what I was unsure of. The listing states conversion kit. If it is a conversion kit then I would presume it is Bulbs, Ballasts, Adapter plugs and other parts but for the price that seems odd. Hopefully it is just the right HID bulbs and the description is off.
I just checked the Dutch Amazon website and that one states that it is a “vervangingsset”, which means replacement set. So I guess it’s fine!

For just €28, I will order a set as a back-up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered 8000 ones. I was doubting too what it was and it says D4S. I think I will have to use the cable it comes with. Also when replacing is it safe to remove the bulb cover and everything? The cap has a notice 2500 volts or something :D

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
D4S is the standard HID bulb for a CR-Z it should just plug in. You will need to remove the whole bumper and head light unit in order to access the bulbs and under no circumstances should the lights be on with bulb removed that will cause the sockets to melt and can cause a fire! HID Ballasts are that high voltage.

I ordered 8000 ones. I was doubting too what it was and it says D4S. I think I will have to use the cable it comes with. Also when replacing is it safe to remove the bulb cover and everything? The cap has a notice 2500 volts or something :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
D4S is the standard HID bulb for a CR-Z it should just plug in. You will need to remove the whole bumper and head light unit in order to access the bulbs and under no circumstances should the lights be on with bulb removed that will cause the sockets to melt and can cause a fire! HID Ballasts are that high voltage.
Omg what a nightmare :D The whole bumper :D Watched some videos but thought they removed just show us clearly. This is crazy Honda. Is there no way to do without removing the whole bumper? :O

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
You may be able to sneak the headlights out from the back. Technically according to the owners manual if you have the HID headlights it is dealer replacement. With that being said many here have removed and replaced the bumper pretty easily take a look at these directions for fog lights but same process is used for all bumper removal.

While you are in there is a good opportunity to add louder horns and upgrade other lights and maybe add a front camera. :unsure: at least those are my plans along with installing my Mugen Grille. :D

See Page 4

Omg what a nightmare :D The whole bumper :D Watched some videos but thought they removed just show us clearly. This is crazy Honda. Is there no way to do without removing the whole bumper? :O

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You may be able to sneak the headlights out from the back. Technically according to the owners manual if you have the HID headlights it is dealer replacement. With that being said many here have removed and replaced the bumper pretty easily take a look at these directions for fog lights but same process is used for all bumper removal.

While you are in there is a good opportunity to add louder horns and upgrade other lights and maybe add a front camera. :unsure: at least those are my plans along with installing my Mugen Grille. :D

See Page 4
Thanks so much for your help. Would anybody know any instructions how to replace without touching the bumper please? This is so annoying. Has anyone moved to OEM bulbs?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks so much for your help. Would anybody know any instructions how to replace without touching the bumper please? This is so annoying. Has anyone moved to OEM bulbs?
I can’t help you, but I did some research on this and didn’t find any helpful information on replacing the HID bulbs without removing the bumper...

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
You will only need to do this once and you all are freaking out over removing the bumper. It is just tedious. Many on this forum have removed and replaced the bumper. I am not happy that the stylists over the engineers decided to make replacing bulbs this difficult. from what I have read once you do it once and you take your time it is very quick to do and put back. Just do it already.

The directions are here

https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/crz/2013/foglights.pdf
See Page 4

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You will only need to do this once and you all are freaking out over removing the bumper. It is just tedious. Many on this forum have removed and replaced the bumper. I am not happy that the stylists over the engineers decided to make replacing bulbs this difficult. from what I have read once you do it once and you take your time it is very quick to do and put back. Just do it already.

The directions are here

https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/crz/2013/foglights.pdf
See Page 4
Yes, of course, it's doable, just really surprised the engineers decided you'd need to remove bumper to replace a bulb :D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts