Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone! I'm not a CR-Z owner... Yet. Just waiting for our tax return money to get here. I've been drooling over the CR-Z for a couple months now... Anyways my question to you owners: is CVT or manual better? My husband has owned nothing but manuals where as I've owned nothing but automatics. I've read that the CVT doesn't have as much "get up and go" and you have less control over the shifting of gears. But I guess I am a little apprehencive about purchasing a manual as my everyday car. I know how to drive a 5-speed and I've been told a 6-speed isn't that much different. I learned from how to drive a stick from my Hubby about a year ago. So I would still consider myself a novice. I have never driven a manual as an everyday car. Currently my husband is driving an '08 EVO and I'm in an '08 H3. Any suggestions or advice y'all have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Don't let anyone in here talk you into one or the other. If you are still in the shopping around mode, go to your dealer and test drive one of each! You'll know what you like. I don't think that you can go wrong with either!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the manual, and I like it. In a nutshell, CVT can get better overall mileage, and you can hold a gear using the paddle shifters, so the "control" is still available in some capacity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not worried about people on here trying to convince me one way or the other. It's my husband I'm worried about Lol I guess I just don't know enough about the CVT to really understand it. And I'm don't really know a lot about cars to begin with so... Lol yea.. Thank y'all for the in put though :) I appreciate it! I think we're going to go test-drive today. The problem will be getting color I want in the transmission that I want. I definitely am getting the CR-Z though. I Love It! Lol I pretty new to all the after market stuff but I definitely want to do a few things to it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was a little concerned about all those gears. I leaned on a 3 speed and had a 4 speed Volvo for awhile. Recently was driving a 5 speed Toyota. I really don't notice the extra gear much. (Only sometimes I find myself wondering if I am in 4th or 6th). I have adjusted to it easily. The car wants to be driven at low RPMs this gives an incredible range of speeds for each gear.

What I can say is that the CR-Z is one of the easist sticks to drive that I have every tried. With hill assist and the silky smooth clutch I wish I had leaned in it. K

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
like smed55 said, don't let anyone convince u of either or... drive them both and see which fits your needs better...

the CVT lets you do the paddles which is cool for more spirited/controlled driving... it might take some getting used to if you've never driven a CVT b4 b/c of the way the rpms seem to be steady while speed increases... not much of an issue if you just focus on the little gauges that tell you how to optimize fuel economy...

Honda makes some of the BEST feeling manual transmissions in the world and the 6MT is no exception... very sporty feeling and easy to engage all the gears... even a dummy-proof lockout when driving over 10mph so that you can't engage reverse by accident... if you're used to 5 gears, you might forget about 6th sometimes lol... but you'll get used to it and learn to love that gear for great mpg...

in the end, it's personal preference... my plans would be to modify the CR-Z for greater power/performance/mpgs... but if i wanted a car to just "drive" then i'd get a CVT for it's ease of driving...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks bizzybear! I think I'm gunna go with the 6MT. I still have yet to test drive them and I will definitely test them both. Thanks to everyone for their advice. I really appreciate it :) I'm also looking into doing a few aftermarket modifications as well. But there's other posts for that

·
Registered
177 Posts
Had to go to the DFW airport yesterday to pick up my daughter. Stop and go traffic, moved 10 feet and stop for a solid 15 minutes, and it was at 9:00 at night so it wasn't as bad as usual. Exactly why I ended up getting a CVT. I used to have an 86 CRX, loved the stick, but then again I didn't live in this traffic sespool!!!!

CVT works just fine in sport when I need to make that quick lane change!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is just my observation/opinion:

6-speed: Is nice, makes the car feel more "sporty". The clutch is WAY easy to drive, and I've found that being in more control with where your RPMs are at gives you better fuel economy. AND YOU'LL SAVE MONEY BUYING THE CAR! (about $700)

CVT: More of a relaxing drive to those that are still inexperienced with "stick" and have to focus on shifting as well as driving. (Me :sadwavey: ) Though it has "paddle shifters" on the steering wheel, so it's a nice compromise if you feel the need to REALLY drive it.

Again, just my opinions/views on it; but you're the customer here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I just got my CR-Z, and for me, the CVT made a bit more sense. I am usually a MT guy, and most of my vehicles have been MT. But the CVT lasts longer, smoother, easier to use, no clutch to go out in the long run, and in this rare case, better gas mileage (just a bit). And the paddles to give back a bit of the MT feeling. But that's just me, and IMHO.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have always liked MT but my wife has never driven a MT car. When it came to buying the CRZ we talked about how the MT would be so much fun and how I would love it. Then we talked about her driving the car and we ended up deciding on the CVT. I use the paddle shifters a lot as if I am shifting down to come to stops, go around corners, and pass other cars. Even though I wanted a MT, I got the CVT and I love it just as much, if not more because now I can also relax in traffic jams. JMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.