Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm in the market for a new car and have been planning on getting a new Mustang 5.0 premium or Camaro 2SS. I realize I will never use the power of a V8 but love the roar of the engine and just knowing it's there!

I've owned honda's in the past and had much fun with them when I was younger, I'm in my late 20's and most of my friends are all muscle car guys. They would look at my CRZ and go :pP: lol

I didn't get to see the interior or test drive one yet but it's a damn good looking car! This will be my daily driver and weekend car as I will be selling my other vehicle. The CRZ would save me almost $8k, but would miss the muscle car...

Anyone else been in a similar situation? Thanks

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm in the market for a new car and have been planning on getting a new Mustang 5.0 premium or Camaro 2SS. I realize I will never use the power of a V8 but love the roar of the engine and just knowing it's there!

I've owned honda's in the past and had much fun with them when I was younger, I'm in my late 20's and most of my friends are all muscle car guys. They would look at my CRZ and go :pP: lol

I didn't get to see the interior or test drive one yet but it's a damn good looking car! This will be my daily driver and weekend car as I will be selling my other vehicle. The CRZ would save me almost $8k, but would miss the muscle car...

I am not in my late 20's, more like early 50's, so this is probably going to sound like grandpa's lecture, but there is a time in every single person's life when they decide that the only person they should have to please is themselves. What your buddy's think about you because you drive CRZ or a Mustang GT is really not relevant. What do you want to drive and how much do you want to spend to drive it?

The Mustang or Camaro are not only going to cost you more to purchase. They are going to cost at least twice as much to keep on the road. From addition fuel cost, to additional maintenance costs, to additional insurance costs, the Muscle cars are going to cost more than the CRZ at every turn. But if the smile on you face, or feeling in you gut when you punch it and listen to the engine roar, is worth the price, well then there's your answer.

Now if you are married, then forget everything I just said and go ask you wife what you are allowed to get :blush:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
It all depends on what you want out of the car. I went from a 2.4l Accord to the CR-Z, so it's not as huge of a drop. In some situations the Z actually feels quicker, as it is really responsive and zippy for city driving. I've only had the car for a week now, but I just love it. There is no other car in the same class/size I would rather have as my daily driver.

I use the car for work, so I wanted a small car that still looked good and handled well. It costs me 1/3rd of what the Accord cost to insure and it uses half the fuel. That's already a win for me, as I get the same per km I drive at work no matter what I drive. Also being a Honda it will be more reliable then anything.

Long term I will probably get a second car like an s2000 or someting for weekends and trackdays. But for every day driving and for work, there just isn't a better car then the CR-Z for me :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well Nick, I have owned a few Mustangs and I have a buddy with a new Camaro. My last Mustang was an 07 GT/CS super charged and a long list of after market supporting mods. Mustang before that, 87 5.0 with Coast High Performance prostreet 347 ci crate motor. They were all fun cars and went really fast, but daily drivers they where not. If you are looking for a daily driver a Honda is hands down the car you need. A super charged Mustang on a good day will get you 20-22 mpg all freeway(.410 rear gear final ratio didnt help) old 5.0 about the same. In the city 15mpg at MOST, old 5.0 9 mpg. :pP:

I drove these cars as a daily for a lot of years. Yes I did like the sound it made and I guess I could drive around and tell myself that I got all that horsepower under the hood just in case I needed to show everyone where my car was in the food chain of the daily commute.

At the end of the day it just became tiresome to drive and maintain this kind of car for a daily driver. Have you clutched a manual high HP car in heavy, heavy traffic hour. :pat: Nevertheless at the end of the day there is ALWAYS someone on the road with a faster car than you. Nick, I still love those cars as you do, but if you are looking for a daily driver I gaurantee you that you will enjoy this car. The CRZ is a well handling car as well so for those weekends that you need to drive those twisty canyon/coastal roads its a great car.

Qoute/ TCROLY: The Mustang or Camaro are not only going to cost you more to purchase. They are going to cost at least twice as much to keep on the road. From addition fuel cost, to additional maintenance costs, to additional insurance costs, the Muscle cars are going to cost more than the CRZ at every turn. But if the smile on you face, or feeling in you gut when you punch it and listen to the engine roar, is worth the price, well then there's your answer. Qoute:

:yeahthat: The insurance/cost to drive/monthly payment got really old to me and was a huge factor for my change in car. Not only do I have more money every month in my pocket, but I have more money for motorcycles now.... er, I mean house. :blush:

PS: Oh yeah Nick, that new 5.0 premium with track pack option Miustang that matched and beat the M3 coupe in this months Road and Track magazine is a 40 grand car. So you might save a little more money than 8 grand. The Camaro is cheaper but doesn't compare anyway.

Its your HARD earned money Nick. Test drive a new CRZ I dare you. You will like it for what your looking for.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello Nick,

I've owned some muscle cars in my time from Mustangs to Thunderbirds to Nissan Z's. and I agree with the others. If you have long stretches of open road to drive that are not congested, a muscle car would be a fun way to go.

Nowadays, muscle cars are more of a curiosity for me. Something to take out and drive on pretty weekends with an allocated weekly budget for gas and upkeep.

Since this is going to be your primary car for commuting to work, and you sound as if the commute will be in traffic in an urban area, then you really want something like a Honda. When I went from my last non-hybrid car to my first hybrid, I cut my weekly gasoline bill by 2/3. It was nice having the extra money for other things. Hondas are well built, reliable, suited for the type of driving you have most of the time, and economical.

That said, I also agree you need to look at your personal situation. If two seats are all you need, and you want to be economical as well as fun driving every day, then I highly encourage you to go see and test drive a CR-Z.

You won't do 0-60 runs in 4 seconds, and your buddies muscle cars will leave you behind, but in the end, you will have as much fun as they are having at a more reasonable cost. By the way, the CR-Z is an absolute blast to drive winding back roads where speed is not important, but handling is. The CR-Z will handle just as well as any other performance car. In my opinion, the battery pack placement gives the car an almost mid-engine feel in turns. Very nice.

If you are married, ask your better half what you should be buying. :rolleyes:

sparrow

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just traded in a charger rt for my crz and I am happy with the choice. I was looking at cameros as well and realized I would never use it. I was also tired of poor gas milage and huge cars. I am the female half of my relationship and I am happy with the choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my opinion, if you want a fast car, this is not the right car for you. I traded in my 08 subaru STI, which was a blast to drive, but only managed 11mpg in the winters and 22mpg in the summers driving conservatively. The crz is a fuel efficient, low powered car with mediocre handling. The body roll, soft suspension, and stock tires take some getting used to. It now takes me 2x longer to hit 60, and that requires getting used to merging into traffic.

I wanted a small, fuel efficient vehicle, that was not an entry level sub compact with very basic interior and equipment. I bought the crz because of its practicality, I enjoy the financial savings on fuel, insurance, and vehicle costs. The 6spd shifter is very nice, super light clutch is nice, and if i keep the car long enough the handling and power issues can be address by aftermarket solutions, of which im sure there will be plenty.

No car is perfect, and the car you choose comes down to what you are looking for most in a vehicle.

Just my thoughts on what to expect from a crz.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
I am not in my late 20's, more like early 50's, so this is probably going to sound like grandpa's lecture, but there is a time in every single person's life when they decide that the only person they should have to please is themselves. What your buddy's think about you because you drive CRZ or a Mustang GT is really not relevant. What do you want to drive and how much do you want to spend to drive it?

The Mustang or Camaro are not only going to cost you more to purchase. They are going to cost at least twice as much to keep on the road. From addition fuel cost, to additional maintenance costs, to additional insurance costs, the Muscle cars are going to cost more than the CRZ at every turn. But if the smile on you face, or feeling in you gut when you punch it and listen to the engine roar, is worth the price, well then there's your answer.

Now if you are married, then forget everything I just said and go ask you wife what you are allowed to get :blush:
:yeahthat:

i couldn't have worded it better myself!

my personal belief is that it's MY car, not my friends car... i have close friends that drive '11 M3 convertible, '10 E350 Coupe, '06 M6 (getting R8 or Bentley soon), '09 A6-S, '09 IS-F, etc... do u think these ppl have something to say about me wanting to get a CR-Z?? of course they do, but it's gonna be my car and not theirs...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi everyone!

Im kinda close to your situation. I took the camaro and mustang right out of mind due to too high of a number on the road and quality. Those two cars are everywhere. So now I'm down to the 370z and CRZ. I've driven both and the crz is alittle more fun to drive then the 370z. I love power too but something about honda's ability to make fun cars for a good price makes me want a crz.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Im kinda close to your situation. I took the camaro and mustang right out of mind due to too high of a number on the road and quality. Those two cars are everywhere. So now I'm down to the 370z and CRZ. I've driven both and the crz is alittle more fun to drive then the 370z. I love power too but something about honda's ability to make fun cars for a good price makes me want a crz.
let me make that decision easy for you... Honda vs Nissan? if you can't answer that question correctly, then i'd say you really do have a problem :spinning:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm having the same problem... Getting rid of a 400 HP car for a small front wheel drive eco hatch... I think I can do it...

I'm not concerned at all with what my car friends think, they are such broad scope of tastes and configurations, that they appreciate everything. Most of them have actually given me the thumbs up to go for it. Mine will not stay stock for long though, so I think they just want to see a quick modded hybrid.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The crz is a fuel efficient, low powered car with mediocre handling. The body roll, soft suspension, and stock tires take some getting used to. It now takes me 2x longer to hit 60, and that requires getting used to merging into traffic.
I must humbly disagree about the handling. Once I replaced the stock tires, the handling was greatly improved. I do not find the body roll to be that noticeable, and the suspension is fine. I took my Z up into the mountains last Saturday on some pretty challenging roads, and I was very pleased with its handling. In Sport mode, it had more than enough power and road feel to take the demanding course.

I would definitely recommend getting new tires. I put 205 Pirelli's on my Z for warm weather driving and will probably put some good snow tires on it later in the month.

sparrow

·
Registered
120 Posts
I must humbly disagree about the handling. Once I replaced the stock tires, the handling was greatly improved. I do not find the body roll to be that noticeable, and the suspension is fine. I took my Z up into the mountains last Saturday on some pretty challenging roads, and I was very pleased with its handling. In Sport mode, it had more than enough power and road feel to take the demanding course.

I would definitely recommend getting new tires. I put 205 Pirelli's on my Z for warm weather driving and will probably put some good snow tires on it later in the month.

sparrow
What type Pirellis did you go with sparrow? I am thinking of going with Yokohama S Drive's 205/50/16. I too found the Dunlop's to not instill any confidence in the corners and and not resist plowing understeer in the corners.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Its body roll is not bad. However, compared to the crown vic that I drive at all speeds and all crazyness, just about anything else feels like its hugging the ground.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.