Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little post introducing myself. I figured I would post a list of repairs for people who may be searching this site wondering if they should by a Z. My was bought in March 2011, 6 speed and I am the only driver. I uses this car for commuting and I am very easy on it 95%.

1200 miles, dead 12v battery (dealer replaced no idea, said everyone they sold had come back with it being dead in 6 months???)

45000 miles new tires (stock were horribly loud and hard)

60000 miles, dead 12v battery

95000 miles replaced front pads

100000 miles changed plugs and belt and transmission oil, coolant

110000 new tires, should have did sooner

105000 new 12v battery

115000 new 12v battery, bought and old one replaced for free under sellers warranty

150000 reshimmed AC compressor

155000 miles new tires

165000 did outer tie rod ends

175000 did lower ball joints and rear pads

185000 rear shock absorber

190000 replaced AC compressor clutch, had a tech check it, just ended up changing clutch myself they wanted to do compressor

192000 new 12v battery, new front brake pads again

195000 new tires

200000 haven't hit it yet but will do plugs and belt again, coolant, transmission fluid

I expect that I will have to change the front struts, clutch (yes I am still on the original and it still is only a little vague) and potentially the hybrid battery pack. There appears to be some seepage of oil on the back of the block. Potentially from valve cover cleaned last oil change. Still clean.

All and all I would definitely recommend a Z. Be realistic though if your gonna hammer any car reliability will go down on.

·
Super Moderator
4,839 Posts
Thank you for posting details of your ownership it is a good indication of how long these cars last and the minimal maintenance they need. For struts and shocks ( I would suggest replacing all of them at same time) I would recommend Rockauto as their prices are much lower than any of the Honda dealers online and they give you a choice of a few manufacturers. For the clutch not sure if you want used or new but they can possibly help you with that too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great read - basically just consumables and normal wear out after lots of use (suspension) bits then. Hope for the same with my example (it is why I went with another Honda).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thank you for posting details of your ownership it is a good indication of how long these cars last and the minimal maintenance they need. For struts and shocks ( I would suggest replacing all of them at same time) I would recommend Rockauto as their prices are much lower than any of the Honda dealers online and they give you a choice of a few manufacturers. For the clutch not sure if you want used or new but they can possibly help you with that too.
Hey Spdbump,

when would be a good time or mileage to replace the struts and shocks?

·
Super Moderator
4,839 Posts
When they fail. Replace in pairs both struts both shocks or all 4. If you have some extra money replace the top bearings/mounts. My last car I replaced all of the struts and shocks at 140K( heavier duty from a different version of the car) and I added bigger sway bars and a strut tower brace and larger brakes. The Speed Bump still rides fine and the rock the corners test it only bounces 1 or two times.

Hey Spdbump,

when would be a good time or mileage to replace the struts and shocks?

·
Registered
70 Posts
When they fail. Replace in pairs both struts both shocks or all 4. If you have some extra money replace the top bearings/mounts. My last car I replaced all of the struts and shocks at 140K( heavier duty from a different version of the car) and I added bigger sway bars and a strut tower brace and larger brakes. The Speed Bump still rides fine and the rock the corners test it only bounces 1 or two times.
I tried doing that test where you shove on each of the corners of the car and it sounds good but sometimes the ride quality be feeling bumpy. Just wondering how much the difference would be if i replaced the struts and shocks.

·
Super Moderator
4,839 Posts
No harm in replacing them. But I have had an out of balance wheel cause bumpy feelings too.
I tried doing that test where you shove on each of the corners of the car and it sounds good but sometimes the ride quality be feeling bumpy. Just wondering how much the difference would be if i replaced the struts and shocks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for posting, it's helping info for those of us wondering what we may be looking forward to. I'd actually wondered a lot recently, if I should change the MT oil now (70Kmi) or closer to 100K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts