Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently noticed that there is a really nasty shiny spot on the dull plastic trim of the door (ext.). I tried washing it with a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water but still there. Also tried Dish washing soap on the spot but still there. Does anyone have any suggestions to removing this spot? I'm attaching a photo with the area circled to show you what I mean. I just recently had my windows tinted so that could be a possibility.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yea, i had something similar to that too. Get Meguires Plastix Scratch Remover. It's like a few bucks at walmart or autozone. Thats what i use. Not only does it remove scratches, but also removes blemishes or oil finger prints or oversprays from sprays and such, and those pesky water spots. Good for the headlights and tailights as well. It worked like a charm for me. That plastic seems to just be really delicate and smudges easily. This did the job for me and I hope it works for you. Good luck bro.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey borcth, so I purchased the Meguiar's PlastX and tried it but it's still there. It almost looks like whatever the substance that they used, permanently ate through the stock plastic thus leaving it that shiny spot. I might have to just replace the entire plastic trim/pillar (whatever it's called).

·
Registered
579 Posts
No ****...man i was sure that would work. I'm sorry bro. Or you could go back to the tint shop and say hey, you sprayed a chemical and it smeared over my plastic piece and wont come off. See what they will say. Or you could get it replaced. That must be some really nasty chemical and not on top. Its like you said, that it's eatin away INTO the plastic intself. Maybe some kind of amonia solution. Hold onto the plastix though. It works great on everything else. Like if you scratch the plastic gauges or headlights and stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
seems to me like they might have used a buffer too close to that plastic piece and melted the plastic a bit to make it shiny? sure looks like a buffer pad shape.

ask them if they used a buffer on the car when they did your tint.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah ha - buffer sounds like it could be a possibility since it has that circular shape to it. Either way I think I might have to just swap that piece out.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
why would some one buff the window?
A tint shop wouldn't. The spray they use is generally a soap/water solution. Nothing harmful. Are you positive the tint shop did this? Did you document the condition of the vehicle before and after the tint job? If not, you're probably SOL.

The tint shop didn't go around the car with you and check off any previous damage? If not, find another shop. They're not reputable if they don't preform that task, imo. That was the first thing I'd do when I owned my speed shop.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I just swung by the tint shop. The shop is reputable and good. They pretty much said the same thing that most of you are saying. They don't touch the exterior of the car only the interior. And they use a none abrasive products just soap and water. So pretty much I can rule them out. The only time I had anything done to the car was when I picked it up from the dealer. They detailed it prior to me getting it. So the only thing that I can think of is that somehow the dealer might have messed it up during the detailing process. But again I can't prove that. Either way I ended up just ordering the part from the dealer - pretty reasonably priced $33 each. In case anyone else wants to order these, the part number is 72470-SZT-003. I'll have to DIY it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Bizzybear, that was the first thing I tried since I remembered you mentioning that on another post. It definitely feels like the plastic melted not gooey like something is stuck on it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I decided to just order the part from the dealer. It should be here by Friday. I figured that would be the best and safest way to get it to look like new again.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well I decided to just order the part from the dealer. It should be here by Friday. I figured that would be the best and safest way to get it to look like new again.
Good choice, imo. I doubt it was the dealer. They don't generally use a buffer to PDI the car. It probably happened on accident, whether you did it or not. Stuff happens and it's a car. Cars get used.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good choice, imo. I doubt it was the dealer. They don't generally use a buffer to PDI the car. It probably happened on accident, whether you did it or not. Stuff happens and it's a car. Cars get used.
Yeah although I'm having second thoughts that maybe it was the window tinting place. The more I think about it, they would use and I do recall hearing something like a hot air gun or hair dryer noise that I would assume that they are using on the outside of the window to help the adhesive cure. Just the thought either way the part is coming in tomorrow and can't wait to replace it.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
could go back and ask them to hold the heat gun to the piece and see if it has the same out come, if not well then who knows but if so then maybe you have a leg to stand on with them paying for the damage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.