Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a very hard time deciding on whether to go for a navi.
At first I was going to get one hands down, no questions, but I've been having lingering doubts, especially after I read that the 2011 Odyssey Navi provides traffic info yet this one does not. I would love to hear the opinions of others, especially owners, and also any corrections to my understanding. I've never owned a build-in Navi before. I use a Droid as a navigator and I find it to be frustrating, slow, and a bit light on features.

Pros:
-Integration into the car, so it will always be there when I turn on the car and I don't have to worry about stowing it when I leave the car in a bad part of town (my apartment parking lot :rolleyes: )
-Nicer iPod display and interface
-Big screen with solid mount to the car (vs a suction cup)
-Aux jack is relocated to a more concealed location

Cons:
-$1800 is quite a chunk of change
-No traffic info. this would be a great feature to have in my hometown (Washington DC) and handheld GPS units now deliver free lifetime traffic updates
-Sounds like it's old tech, so scrolling and other performance items will probably not be as nice as a handheld.
-Updates cost money.

Neutral:
-There don't appear to be any other features tied to the Navi. Some vehicles tie things like bluetooth into the Navi but I don't see anything about that on the web site. Seems like the sound system will be the same either way as well.

Distantly related and I'll make a separate post for this:
-Last time I looked at aftermarket head units, iPod integration used a cheesy protocol which delivered a very barebones playback experience (problems with shuffling, remembering where you were in a playlist...). I'm willing to bet the Ipod interface with the non-Navi is similar to this. The Navi version might be better. Something I really need is the ability to remember where I am in an audiobook and to keep track of playcounts so I won't have to find where I was. I have set up a smart playlist to only contain tracks that have never been played, and these tracks themselves have the "remember position" settings. This way, I can always go to my audiobook playlist and press play and the first track will be the one I am working on and the position will be where I left off. If the USB connection doesn't support this, I'll hardly ever be using it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
The navi system allows you to voice control the heating and cooling too.

The #1 one reason why I didn't get it, people will break in and crowbar it out of there, ouch!

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
The Honda NAVI is somewhat dated. It does what I need it to do here in the PACNORWEST, but in DC, you may want an aftermarket device if traffic updates and other more up to date features are needed.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The screen resolution of the Honda Navi leaves a lot to be desired as well. If it was as up to date as the Acura Navi systems, I would have considered it.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I didn't want it, but the SSM without it was already sold when I got there. It's a nice clock for me. I use my DROID for navigation.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i don't own a CR-Z yet... but i had the OEM Navi on my '06 Si and back then it was awesome... but it seems Honda didn't do any major updates to make this one nicer even with the 5 year gap... after owning my Si w/Navi, i also HAD to have the CR-Z w/Navi but after thinking about it a bit, it would probably be better to just buy the non-navi model and install a nice aftermarket navi with better features and DVD compatible too... i'd have to fully integrate it with all the stock buttons/etc to make it seem OEM-like... but that's just what i'd do :popcorn:

btw, i'm one of those people who can't see buying a new car w/o Navigation lol...

·
Registered
674 Posts
I swap cars about once a year (sometimes more) and I've had several with built-in Nav units, including my outgoing '08 550i. It had a couple of cool points (zoom in/out with iDrive knob), but other than that it was miserable, just like the majority of factory nav units. Route recalc speed is slow (which can suck if you are in a busy unfamiliar area), map redraw speed is slow, maps are horribly out of date and any updates are expensive, traffic data is either a paid service or unavailable, internet search for location is obviously absent. The list goes on. I've played with the CR-Z nav for a bit and it's nowhere near modern portable units.

I chose to save $1800 and went with a $5 GPS software for my iPhone - I can use addresses from the phonebook, map and software updates are free, recalc speed is amazingly quick and I could pick a night color theme for the map to match the gauges :p

·
Registered
94 Posts
While I don't own a CR-Z yet, I plan on saving $1800 and getting the non navi model and just building a car PC system to put in it's place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts