Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I painted my calipers a few weeks ago - bled the lines, all new fluid etc. No problem. I needed a new rear caliper and ordered that, and when it came I threw it on with the others without paint because I didn't have the time. So this weekend I went and painted it. I was a little lazy and didn't want to bleed everything again so I left the caliper connected to the brake line and e brake cable and just pulled it off from the rotor and whatnot and masked things off/painted. No problem.

Issue: I started to drive, and now my brake pedal is super mushy and the response is weak. In addition, my ebrake feels super loose. I checked my brake fluid and it is also super high. Very odd.

I didn't disconnect anything... What went wrong??

·
Premium Member
6,001 Posts
So, the new caliper you replaced, worked for that short time between installation and painting the new caliper? I figure you installed everything correctly, because you took the other three off and bled the lines, so you know what you're doing.... I'm thinking you should double-check the new caliper pins to make sure of free movement; remove the pads, and check that the rear caliper is lined up correctly (that the slots are allowing the pads to seat flush against the caliper. Just taking it apart and putting it back together again, is a good thing to do, as you just might have done something goofy putting the hanging caliper and that the e-brake.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it worked totally fine. I'm going to a buddies house tomorrow to do an exhaust and intake install (woot) so we will take a look at it then. I understand how I might have to tighten up the e brake a bit, but the mushy pedal myffs me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah it worked totally fine. I'm going to a buddies house tomorrow to do an exhaust and intake install (woot) so we will take a look at it then. I understand how I might have to tighten up the e brake a bit, but the mushy pedal myffs me.
Having another look with a second set of eyes is my next suggestion. Obviously something (or more than one thing) is not together correctly or you didn't mask as well as you thought and got paint where there shouldn't be any.

Did you let the caliper hang from the hose at any point? If so, the hose may be damaged.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: fixed! Turned out, I backed off the piston a bit too much. It was kinda stuck open - and therefore not doing its job. I pulled it back out a bit and that freed everything up. All is well 👍🏻

I appreciate the advice! Taking apart and reassembling was the move to make.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts