Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ball Joint on my Lower Control Arm was ripped apart last night, does anyone know if the part can be ordered separately from the lower control arm? If so part numbers would be appreciated :)

Can anyone confirm if the honda fit part and ours are the same ball joint?

My searches so far have turned up the cheapest assembly at 275$
All I want is the ball joint and boot :(

Does anyone know if I found a wrecked CRZ if I could salvage the Ball joint from it?
Or is it possible the ball joint doesnt detach from the control arm at all and that is why I need the whole Assembly?

:crying:

Edit** uhhh is this what I want?

Is it the same part as the 2009-2013 honda fit?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/610-40045-C...ash=item48913b5683:g:U3kAAOSwmfhX3a9U&vxp=mtr

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ctric/gas,1446970,suspension,ball+joint,10070

CENTRIC 61040045 Premium Steering and Suspension
Front Lower

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you just need the boot set:
06512-SZT-A00 Boot Set, Front Arm (Lower)

Do you have a pic of the "ripped apart" part?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Yeah we need more clarification and or photos.

There's the rubber boot which as Litz noted is easily replaced. If you somehow managed to damage the actual balljoint and not just the rubber boot then that is a pressed-fit part.

On other Honda knuckles and LCAs you can in fact replace and press in a new balljoint. There is no Genuine Honda replacement part for just the balljoint on the CR-Z, which is absurd. There may be third party options (like the roll center adjuster option for example).

No idea if the balljoints are cross compatible between Fit and CR-Z, the Fit uses stamped steel LCAs and the CR-Z has cast aluminum so you'd have to measure the various balljoint dimensions and press-fit surfaces to ensure proper fitment and suspension dimensions.

If you find a wrecked CR-Z's LCA I'm thinking you could almost certainly press-out the old balljoint and press it into your LCA or just swap the whole LCA.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would definitely recommend just replacing the whole arm, you need a special press to change just the ball joint which would require removing the whole lower control arm anyways. This is if the ball joint is damaged though...

If only the boot is ripped you can just pop the ball joint off the knuckle and slip a new boot on and put it back together.

!!!REPLACING any front suspension part will require at least an alignment check, usually will need the toe adjusted back to center!!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
There are also split boots available for some cars where you slide it on then use a special clamp and it has like a zip lock bag closure for the slit. Not sure of what is available for the CR-Z includes this DIY install-able part. :nerd:
I would definitely recommend just replacing the whole arm, you need a special press to change just the ball joint which would require removing the whole lower control arm anyways. This is if the ball joint is damaged though...

If only the boot is ripped you can just pop the ball joint off the knuckle and slip a new boot on and put it back together.

!!!REPLACING any front suspension part will require at least an alignment check, usually will need the toe adjusted back to center!!!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I forgot to take a picture last night... I had removed the LCA already and it is awaiting the ball joint that i am told fits both Fit and CRZ.
The boot ripped and the ball joint separated into its two pieces.

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
...The boot ripped and the ball joint separated into its two pieces.
Soooo....., I gotta ask how "the boot ripped." Did Spicoli do it?:grin2:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha yes he did it.... He was ripping the entire unit from side to side trying to get the CV to pop back into place but no such luck.... He broke the boot and popped the joint out before deciding to pull the CV apart.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn.... so the new ball joint came in from RockAuto... their site said it fit the CRZ unfortunately I have confirmed that our car has a one piece Lower control arm attached to the Ball joint. Time for me to spend a few hundred dollars more...

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Aw, crap. Have you confirmed with an alignment shop? They're used to doing this stuff. Helpful hint: tell them you are paying in cash and won't be needing any receipts.

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
Damn.... so the new ball joint came in from RockAuto... their site said it fit the CRZ unfortunately I have confirmed that our car has a one piece Lower control arm attached to the Ball joint. Time for me to spend a few hundred dollars more...
Contact Rock Auto maybe they grabbed the wrong one from the shelf when they shipped. They will make it right if you contact them.:nerd:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Contact Rock Auto maybe they grabbed the wrong one from the shelf when they shipped. They will make it right if you contact them.:nerd:
No the part is right... If I had looked at our Control Arm earlier I wouldve been able to tell that it is a single piece construction.

I was holding the Disc brake and just ripping it in lots of directions trying to push the CV back together.....oops

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Balljoints are press-fit into place, they require a machine press (hydraulic press) to separate from control arms. It has to come out, the control arm is aluminum while the balljoint is a steel stud and steel socket casing.

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
They would not list it if it did not fit did you call them? I have read other places that sometimes you can drill out the rivets holding it and then the new ones get held using bolts. I just checked for my 2013 and they do not list the ball joint separate only as part of the control arm so I have no Idea how you were sent a ball joint you could not use.

Here is all their listings for ball joint and all they list is the control arms

No the part is right... If I had looked at our Control Arm earlier I wouldve been able to tell that it is a single piece construction.

I was holding the Disc brake and just ripping it in lots of directions trying to push the CV back together.....oops

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
The poster above you says no although he claims that https://www.rockauto.com/ shipped the ball joint listed as a replaceable part. RockAuto does ship internationally. Contact them to confirm since they list the part as something they sell and their reputation is if they list it it fits.

I just checked and they do not not list the ball joint separately only as part of the control arm. Here is all their listings for my 2013 when I searched ball joint.

Hey buddy, could you change the joint ball without changing the entire arm?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts