Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a blue CR-Z EX Navi coming in a few weeks. Right now I'm driving a 2006 WRX STi and I needed something with a little better mileage. I also had a 2006 YZF-R6, but it was stolen last year in Jersey.

Hope to see some pics of your guy's rides. Anyway, I'm heading out to watch the UFC121 card, so I'll post sometime later. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
STi to a CRZ huh? it was an easy sell for me because my previous car wasnt much more powerful than the CRZ. You sir are brave.

Seriously though I can understand your reasoning. The CRZ saves me about 40% on insurance and i'll probably use half as much gas.

-waiting is the hardest part!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, yes probably. I had a Perrin Stage 2 package (Perrin ECU, Downpipe and Cat-Back) which was pro-tuned by a local guy. The cars respond very well to the BPU packages and I gained about 55WHP peak, 30 across 2500 RPM and 40WTQ, 35 across 3000 RPM. So the car definitely moved. But, at the same time, I drove one weekend like a maniac and averaged 8MPG and after 17000 miles I need new tires and pads after putting new ones.

What do you guys think about the factory tires they put on? I've had Potenza RE-92's on the Civic which had terrible wet grip, BFG G-Force Supersport A/S, Continental ExtremeContact DWS and Potenza RE960 Pole Positions on the STi and I liked all of the latter 3.

The STi also smokes tires and directional tires last half as long anyway since you can't really rotate them so it really goes through tires, probably 4x faster.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Where are you in MD, Renato? I live in the Middle River area, commute to work in Towson (both Baltimore County), and have yet to see another CR-Z on the road in all my travels about. My decision came down to the silevr or blue, and I went with the silver.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
What do you guys think about the factory tires they put on? I've had Potenza RE-92's on the Civic which had terrible wet grip, BFG G-Force Supersport A/S, Continental ExtremeContact DWS and Potenza RE960 Pole Positions on the STi and I liked all of the latter 3.
Welcome....:thumbsup:!

I only drove about 60 miles on the stock tires, so can't say much myself. I have heard that they don't stick very well. I am running Conti Extreme Contact DWS on my CR-Z and love them... I haven't had them break loose yet.. and I am trying (without getting ridiculous.. don't want to trash the car:rolleyes:)

Let us know what you think....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where are you in MD, Renato? I live in the Middle River area, commute to work in Towson (both Baltimore County), and have yet to see another CR-Z on the road in all my travels about. My decision came down to the silevr or blue, and I went with the silver.
Bel Air, MD. I used to go to Towson (good bars, especially High Tops in Timonium) a lot, but not so much anymore.

Got any pics of your ride?

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Peach Bottom, actually, though I have been to TMI and Limerick many times. There is so much cougar trim on the prowl all the time at that Looney's, haha. That sucks about the bumper :( but look on the bright side. Once you ding it, you lose a little bit of that weight off your shoulders. Not that I'd advise dinging your car for such an effect.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Peach Bottom, actually, though I have been to TMI and Limerick many times. There is so much cougar trim on the prowl all the time at that Looney's, haha. That sucks about the bumper :( but look on the bright side. Once you ding it, you lose a little bit of that weight off your shoulders. Not that I'd advise dinging your car for such an effect.
It's looking good as new, thanks to the work of Progressive's affiliated body shop. Very pleased! Forgot about Peach Bottom!!! :pat:

Being married I'm not exactly on the lookout for cougar or otherwise, and hadn't really noticed! I like their big menu, consistently good food, and decent beer selection. On the down size they're usually crowded and it takes some time to do the whole dinner thing there. In case you haven't heard, there's a new Tilted Kilt (faux Celtic variation of the Hooters concept) at The Avenue at White Marsh. Clearly NOT cougar country there, but your interest will most likely be restricted to the staffers since it's not exactly frequented by groups of eligible young ladies! :pP:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Well, the trade is made. I got tired of waiting for the other dealer and happened to find the exact same car with 3 miles on it at another dealer who gave me the same deal. So I signed and am getting my deposit back.

So after a bit more driving, my impressions:

There are a *lot* of driver controls at your disposal which is overwhelming at first. However, Honda seemed to do a good job positioning everything ergonomically and in a driver-centric fashion. I suppose the Nav is what makes the amount of controls overwhelming.

The looks grow on you every time you see it.

Not surprisingly, anticipating upcoming traffic is the most important aspect to maximize the IMA potential. It is critical to keep IMA contributing the maximum portion of total braking force. I know some articles have said that mechanical braking is simply overlayed with the IMA regeneration to generate vehicle braking without the use of electronically controlled braking, but I am finding this hard to believe given the way the regen/assist meter indicates during various braking patterns. I'll take their word, but I would like to learn more about how the system works in detail.

The shifter and clutch are delicately light. Part of the problem is the car I'm coming from. The shifter on the Sub was very mechanical, rifle-bolt like precise unit that shifted with a lot of mechanical feedback. It was like muscling a small snake around. That's what I liked about it. The clutch was also a powerlifter grunt inducing leg press bit, so it's going to take a few more days of driving to completely adjust to this clutch. The lack of feedback and delicacy/precision of the modulation for the clutch is certainly harder to get used to than the shifter. Honda shifters are always well made, but I was surprised by the little feedback and how light this one is. Still, I would not expect to miss any gates with it. Honda did a great job with steering feedback. There's plenty of it and the steering feels direct and heavy enough for my tastes though I haven't really wrung it out through any corners yet.

Along with the light clutch is the mode driving button. Normal and Sport have nice, sharp throttle response, actually probably a bit snappier than the Sub was in Sport mode due to the smaller naturally aspirated motor with less dynamic mass. But in Econ, it's lethargically slow. It's worse than the worst turbo lag even if you short shifted. I always likened the lag from short shifting in the Sub to the feeling of getting pulled by a truck with a giant rubber band. If that's the case, then Econ mode is like getting pulled by a truck that is getting pulled by a truck connected with rubber bands. The problem with clutch modulation is that the huge difference in throttle response means you will seriously bog the engine switching over to Econ then over rev it going back to Normal/Sport. This will take some getting used to.

Along with the Mode Button, I found that Econ is useful for static driving in that the duller throttle response makes keeping the mileage meter in the 35-50 range more consistently. However, it seems that it might be more economical to get to speed briskly using Sport or Normal. You can certainly drive around in Sport/Normal and get the same mileage, but you must have a much more delicate touch. Keep in mind, I haven't really thought about or read others' theories regarding how the Mode Button changes the logic behind aspects of the car other than throttle response. I'm sure it the play into IMA also will effect which mode is the most economical depending on the current speed, grade and anticipated traffic conditions.

This car is far more fun than it has any right to be based on the raw numbers it puts out. A CR-Z Type-R would be thrilling.

The satisfaction of closing the doors or hatch ranks right up there with the best Honda has ever made.

The seat belt sucks, just like the Civic and every other 2 door Honda I've ever ridden in.

The blind spots aren't that bad, but I'm a look over the shoulder, head-on-a-swivel kind of driver in traffic. The dealer I test drove must have had some plastic protectant left on the back glass, because visibility out the rear in this car is much improved. It's not going to win any awards based for design in terms of driver visibility, but it certainly isn't anything detracting.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome! Another Marylander!!! :hi5:

I'm in NE Baltimore City, near Parkville (though I commute to the Mt. Vernon area). I've seen 3 other CR-Z in the wild... two silvers and a white one... can't wait to spot your blue sometime! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.