Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, enjoy it but be aware of the limited rear visibility. They are a great little car.

Reactions: Future

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
For rear Visibility take a look at this posting:

and What if I Told You That Vehicles Don’t Have a Blind Spot?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes, enjoy it but be aware of the limited rear visibility. They are a great little car.
Yeah I’m surprised at how well a car can hide behind the blind spot between the split window, especially at night when their lights are completely obscured by it. As long as there are no blue flashy lights I’ll be happy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
For rear Visibility take a look at this posting:

and What if I Told You That Vehicles Don’t Have a Blind Spot?
This is actually quite interesting. I was taught to drive by a police advanced driving instructor and examiner and he taught me to have my left hand mirror looking down to the rear wheel for parallel parking. As overtaking on the left is illegal in the UK, and if someone is trying to pass on your left hand side you are in the wrong lane (motorway or dual carriage way) and should be in the furthest left lane unless you are actively overtaking another vehicle.

Regardless of the above I’m going to try this out with my mirrors, if even only the right hand side, to see how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
Of course what I posted is from a US perspective and for parking you move the mirror as you were taught but when driving normally these directions make a lot of sense. I have adjusted my mirrors this way and I like how much of the road I see to the sides. I think some cars when you put car in reverse it adjusts the mirrors as you said you were taught.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! welcome to the family!

Cheers for the link to the mpg poll and for the maintenance info.
Keep in mind for most of us those are Miles per US gallon. a UK Gallon is about 5% larger than a US gallon so adjust your expectations accordingly. 45mp(UK)g isn't unreasonable especially with eco-focused tires. I was getting 42mp(US)g on eco tires... I switched to some grippier tires for fun driving and haven't gotten such good mpg anymore.

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
The poll lists for the same entry the US and UK MPG

Congrats on the purchase! welcome to the family!

Keep in mind for most of us those are Miles per US gallon. a UK Gallon is about 5% larger than a US gallon so adjust your expectations accordingly. 45mp(UK)g isn't unreasonable especially with eco-focused tires. I was getting 42mp(US)g on eco tires... I switched to some grippier tires for fun driving and haven't gotten such good mpg anymore.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
This is actually quite interesting. I was taught to drive by a police advanced driving instructor and examiner and he taught me to have my left hand mirror looking down to the rear wheel for parallel parking. As overtaking on the left is illegal in the UK, and if someone is trying to pass on your left hand side you are in the wrong lane (motorway or dual carriage way) and should be in the furthest left lane unless you are actively overtaking another vehicle.

Regardless of the above I’m going to try this out with my mirrors, if even only the right hand side, to see how it goes.
Your left hand mirror might have a module to lower it when in reverse and raise it when you take it out of reverse - that might have been a japan-only feature though... they kept all the good stuff for themselves.

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
If it has the feature I think only @ITEM9 has it outside of Japan. His car has every JDM feature he could retrofit. He is quite the engineer. :)

Your left hand mirror might have a module to lower it when in reverse and raise it when you take it out of reverse - that might have been a japan-only feature though... they kept all the good stuff for themselves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So after cleaning the car as best I could in the limited time I had after work on Thursday night, this was the final result. A few areas where I thought was paint damage was actually very very ground on dirt. The amount of dirt, dead insects and grime that appeared from every nook and cranny was unbelievable when the pressure washer was run around the panel gaps. There are a few swirl marks on the paint and a few stone chips along the front, but it is a 9 year old car, so I can‘t be too fussy. The driver side side skirt also has a few scratches down to the black plastic and the wheels are a mess from a previous previous owner spray painting them with cans of spray paint and it is flaking off. The side decals are also looking a little tired.

The car is booked in on Monday to get the wheels refurbished in gloss black. I have bought new centre caps, but could only find Matt black with red H which is annoying. Gloss black centre caps that I found all had a raised lip around the edge and I wanted them to be completely flat like the originals. I also purchased white H decals for the centre caps and will possibly get them sprayed gloss black and have the white H decals applied.

The side decals on the car are coming off, unfortunately I can’t get any other decals quick enough to replace them, so nothing will be going back on.

The outside is getting a full paint correction and a light ceramic coating applied as well as the glass, wheels, tyres and plastic trims getting treated. Hopefully at some point the rear bumper lower plastic will get wrapped in gloss black as well. At the minute it is grey, which I can only assume has faded from black.

The interior is also getting a full detail carried out and cleansed with an anti bacterial coating.

Cheers again to everyone that has given me a warm welcome on the forum. I’ll post up more pics in a new thread after I get the car back from the detailer.
CA105C9F-0CC9-49E9-9D96-611A33FBEDD7.jpeg
40F09A1B-7556-4A6F-81E6-9E915E399849.jpeg
DC496441-10AF-406C-AFC0-FE4B1982C383.jpeg
B41F896D-F2B7-433C-B95B-CA7801C43D5E.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking good! I keep meaning to get mine detailed, and am torn between doing it myself for the satisfaction or getting it done, where I come back to it gleaming

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
Do as much as you can yourself and only bring in a professional when you need to. That will save money and will give you the satisfaction and you may go further than a professional will for some things.

Looking good! I keep meaning to get mine detailed, and am torn between doing it myself for the satisfaction or getting it done, where I come back to it gleaming

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, do as much detailing yourself, take your time and enjoy the car emerging from years of oxidation, grime and micro scratches.
I've used Meguiars Ultimate Compound to get rid of scratches - its faster than T'Cut and does not need much effort or pressure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Do as much as you can yourself and only bring in a professional when you need to. That will save money and will give you the satisfaction and you may go further than a professional will for some things.
Yes, do as much detailing yourself, take your time and enjoy the car emerging from years of oxidation, grime and micro scratches.
I've used Meguiars Ultimate Compound to get rid of scratches - its faster than T'Cut and does not need much effort or pressure.
Too late now, I have already got it booked and paid for. The guy that’s doing it ceramic coated my Volvo three years ago and done an amazing job, the water still beads off the car and is so so easy to clean, so I trust him to do a proper job of it. And at this moment in time I’m happy to be supporting his business as he usually relies on the new registrations coming out in April and September to boost his earnings, but with corona virus people haven’t been buying new cars and those that are aren’t willing to spend the best part of a £1,000 to get their car ceramic coated.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z Base Model
7 Posts
I've had the 2011 CR-Z Base model, manual transmission and really enjoy the car. Things that stand out to me the most is that the seats can be uncomfortable after 2 or 3 hrs of straight driving, but the driver side has plenty of leg room. Im 5'11" and have a little room to spare. The car can be noisy at 60mph or faster as the Base model doesnt have much sound proofing. I also like the cargo bins in the back as they are sizeable and deep. You can park anywhere with this car. The manual transmission is really kind for not stalling. If you are a new manual driver like I was it is a great learner. I average 38 - 40mpg on the highway and 36-37mpg in town and the battery really helps with this when you accelerate or go uphill. My battery is 9 years old and still going strong. These batteries are rated for 10 years. Mechanically, Ive hardly done anything major and am currently at 176k miles. This car should only take synthetic oil. Id suggest getting Mobil 1 extended oil and Mobil 1 Extended oil filter. Their filter is good for 20k miles and the oil is good for 15k miles or 1 full year. Not sure what gas grades you have in your area, but NO 85 Oct. or E85. The engine does not like this stuff. I tried it once and that was enough for me.

Enjoy the car! It's a great car for commuting and day road trips.

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
Car was never designed for more than 10% ethanol and i believe the minimum Octane for them is 87 ( US Measurements) only exception would be maybe in high altitude areas. As for the under hood battery it is not a question of if but when it will fail. We are all by now very familiar with the signs of a failing under hood battery. Just need to either replace it or load test it( without it running) if you get any weird lights or other electrical issues. It is a very inexpensive car to maintain. I average one oil change per year.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Regarding noise I think that is more down to the modern trend of cars being like a living room on wheels insulating you from your surroundings. I’m not sure this is always a good thing either as far as awareness of others is concerned.

To me my GT model seems refined as cruising along you can hardly hear the purr of the engine and the main noise is tyres on the road. There is insulation under the bonnet and in the doors which close with that heavy thud. Of course my 21 year old Integra Type R has no insulation to save weight but even that seemed refined and quiet cruising along compared to the cars I rode in as a kid. It’s just the way things have developed.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts