Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Also just a quick thought I don't know if you guys have heard of this stuff but it saved me on my 97 Honda Civic ex when the abs light went off from having to sell the car with a light on the dash. It is called Stabilant 22a. It corrects corrosion in electrical contacts. I didn't say cleans
Sounds like the stuff I never knew existed but needed in my life.

Thank you.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
That Stabilant is $117.99 and is used to enhance the connection in highly critical applications. Used to prevent, not remove, corrosion. I was exposed to it when I worked for a fire department, they use it on the airbag connectors for all the vehicles. They gave me a tube of it as a gift. I am an IT person who worked on their Mobile data terminals and other computers.

To remove corrosion, you use contact cleaner

Like CRC® QD® Contact Cleaner, 11 Wt Oz

Where I work, we use this for cleaning many electrical and electronic items (we even use it for cleaning some Laptop screens). Use products for what they are designed and designated for in the Mil Spec as you talked about or in the data sheet for the product.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That Stabilant is $117.99 and is used to enhance the connection in highly critical applications. Used to prevent, not remove, corrosion. I was exposed to it when I worked for a fire department, they use it on the airbag connectors for all the vehicles. They gave me a tube of it as a gift. I am an IT person who worked on their Mobile data terminals and other computers.

To remove corrosion, you use contact cleaner

Like CRC® QD® Contact Cleaner, 11 Wt Oz

Where I work, we use this for cleaning many electrical and electronic items (we even use it for cleaning some Laptop screens). Use products for what they are designed and designated for in the Mil Spec as you talked about or in the data sheet for the product.
Hey that’s pretty cool spdbump, job security right there, IT is the future.

contact cleaner wouldn’t ruin laptop screens though?

on the fence on purchasing some of this Stabilant

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Still much more expensive than standard contact cleaner, which works. Stabilant contact enhancer for the purpose I mentioned is very important, it makes sure the airbags work to keep fire persons alive if their vehicle is in an accident.

Again, use products for the purpose they were made for. It is an expansive solution for a potential problem that can be solved other ways. There are many specialized products used for many very specialized situations that can be used in more ordinary situations, but you pay a lot more for the special products than you do for the more easily obtained and less expensive options. I can buy a whole case of the contact cleaner for what you are paying for the "mix it Yourself" version of the stabilant, and it is not the correct product for cleaning contacts, it is for enhancing the connections and preventing corrosion.

i got it in a mix yourself kit for under 50 bucks with shipping was 57. or so. works well follow directions and use just enough to work.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Use contact cleaner for contacts, the Stabilant is overkill and IMO too expensive for this use. For airbag connectors in a fire department vehicle, it is the right stuff and required by their SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures)

We use contact cleaner on the harder material laptop screens. It is plastic safe but we do not use it on touch screens.

No offense meant, but I think this conversation is way off-topic and Mr. Jamesldrury is just trying to show off some knowledge from his military days, but in this case IMO it is over kill. There are many materials that can be used for the same purpose or the correct use that are less expensive for ordinary persons working on their own stuff.

Hey that’s pretty cool spdbump, job security right there, IT is the future.

contact cleaner wouldn’t ruin laptop screens though?

on the fence on this buy:Stabilant 22, 5ml Kit Makes 30ml of 22A Amazon.com: Stabilant 22, 5ml Kit Makes 30ml of 22A : Electronics

·
Registered
159 Posts
It’s $63+tax on Amazon.. difference due to inflation I guess.
Use contact cleaner for contacts, the Stabilant is overkill and IMO too expensive for this use. For airbag connectors in a fire department vehicle it is the right stuff and required by their SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures)

We use contact cleaner on the harder material laptop screens. It is plastic safe.

No offense meant, but I think this conversation is way off-topic and Mr. Jamesldrury is just trying to show off some knowledge from his military days, but in this case IMO it is over kill. There are many materials that can be used for the same purpose or the correct use that are less expensive for ordinary persons working on their own stuff.
Hey no offense taken! 😁 Seems there was some miscommunication somewhere along the lines as i am fully aware the differences between those two products and their intended uses. Maybe my comment reply about stabilant to James followed with my request if he could summarize the Convo in the link, specifically mentioning deOXY.

Maybe that made it seem i was trying to do one with the other… which isn’t the case..

OP sorry for hijacking your thread dude. ✌

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
A simple spraying of the connectors and the sockets with contact cleaner, blowing both dry with air will probably solve the intermittent connection problems, then once it is clean and corrosion removed then use the Stabilant. If you still have problems, it is maybe a bad cable, connector, socket or the wiring to the socket inside the radio or that wire in the compartment. If it is wire from the socket to the radio, you are maybe able to get a replacement. I think there are plugs and sockets on each end of that cable (but I have not had an issue with mine so have not looked or even removed my radio) or you may be able to make a new cable with socket reusing the existing radio side connector. High temperatures and wiring do not go well together. I have seen wires cold flow and break or when warm break if at too much of an angle. Sometimes you need to seek out cables with thicker conductors. You want the lowest number gauge you can get that is not too thick/stiff to prevent the cable from being bent in the situation you are using it in. Sometimes for cables where I am concerned it will break, I use a short length of heat shrink tubing between the connector and wire to provide strain relief.

Don't use contact cleaner on touch screens!

Hey no offense taken! 😁 Seems there was some miscommunication somewhere along the lines as i am fully aware the differences between those two products and their intended uses. Maybe my comment reply about stabilant to James followed l with my inquiry about deOXY to the poster right after it made it seem i was trying to do one with the other… which isn’t the case.

Edit: just picked up the mixer stabilant kit off eBay for about $51 shipped. Hopefully this will help for some of those infuriating momentary USB disconnects at the worst.

sorry for hijacking your thread dude. ✌

·
Registered
159 Posts
A simple spraying of the connectors and the sockets with contact cleaner, blowing both dry with air will probably solve the intermittent connection problems, then once it is clean and corrosion removed then use the Stabilant. If you still have problems, it is maybe a bad cable, connector, socket or the wiring to the socket inside the radio or that wire in the compartment. If it is wire from the socket to the radio, you are maybe able to get a replacement. I think there are plugs and sockets on each end of that cable (but I have not had an issue with mine so have not looked or even removed my radio) or you may be able to make a new cable with socket reusing the existing radio side connector. High temperatures and wiring do not go well together. I have seen wires cold flow and break or when warm break if at too much of an angle. Sometimes you need to seek out cables with thicker conductors. You want the lowest number gauge you can get that is not too thick/stiff to prevent the cable from being bent in the situation you are using it in. Sometimes for cables where I am concerned it will break, I use a short length of heat shrink tubing between the connector and wire to provide strain relief.

Don't use contact cleaner on touch screens!
NGL, I am very confused right now

·
Registered
159 Posts
Use the cheap contact cleaner on all the USB connections you can access. If still not working replace the cable that ends in the female socket you plug your USB A plug into. This requires Uninstalling the radio to access where it plugs in.
I am confused because I am not even trying to do any of the things you are and have been giving me advice for...

I mean that's all helpful info all but it's like were talking to different people.

Because all I was doing was thanking Jamesldrury for making me aware of a very Stabilant-22, then inquired about deOXY.

Review/edited my previous posts in case they have caused this communication error.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I really appreciate all the info everyone provided, I totally forgot to like your posts sorry, I am not on any social media so it didn't even occur to me till now. I can imagine everyone going what the heck? I put all this time in helping him and he doesn't even like the posts?
Geeze, guys so sorry (smh)
All good man. I don't think anyone here gets butt-hurt over likes or whatnot. That's not the vibe I'm getting at least. But the forum I was on before this one... maybe a different story... 😂 CivicX

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
All the information on Stabilant etc was off-topic. I thought you had a connectivity issue for that use contact cleaner, not the super expensive contact enhancer. I am out of this thread.

·
Registered
159 Posts
All the information on Stabilant etc was off-topic. I thought you had a connectivity issue for that use contact cleaner, not the super expensive contact enhancer. I am out of this thread.
Aww, no hard feelings Spdbump.
OP brought Stabilant-22 up in his thread.

It never entered my mind I was crossing into OT land by responding with an interest.

But it is off topic now, so sorry about that @Jamesldrury

41 - 57 of 57 Posts