Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
I still say PPF is easier to install for most, is less expensive in time and money, and works. My 9-year-old car had PPF installed the first month I owned it and I have had 0 fogging or breakage, and they are as clear as they were before it was installed I even had it reapplied to the new headlight that was needed due to the accident where the front part of the lens survived, but the rest of the headlight was destroyed in a hit-and-run while parked. It is tough stuff.

This is the brand I have installed. XPEL | Shop | Headlight Protection Film or XPEL | Paint Protection | Window Tint | Flat Glass | Anti-Microbial Film In my case it is all the front lights, the front bumper most of the hood and the fenders, mirror housings and a piece for each door latch handle pocket, edges of door, pocket for hand hold for hatch and edge of hatch. I had professionals install it each time it was needed, but for front lights it is not hard to do yourself. I did that on my previous car. All you need is some 70% alcohol and water and the tools they sell you. There are other brands and kits available. XPel also offers 2 different shades of their tinted material for lights. I have their clear and their product line has changed since mine was installed.

Tinting headlights, IMO, is just a bad Idea, especially since you just spent all that time to make them clear again. Obvious tint maybe illegal or bring unwanted LEO attention to you.

As for cost of replacement headlight bulbs, they are not that much for a pair, see Replacement OEM HID Bulbs for 2011-2016 Honda CR-Z (pair) $80 for a pair and free shipping if you mention this forum. They are also no hassle warrantied for 3 years.

Light Product Font Line Material property

·
Registered
2012 NSBP EX CVT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hmmm I might have to try the film I've seen the clear film bras installed and they work very well. I have to admit I asked the parts department at Honda about the headlight bulbs and was told like 600.00 to replace them I do realize they are the most expensive option and I was only looking for bulb part numbers. So your reply is very interesting to me as I know the hid bulbs are impacted by the auto feature on the headlight setting and frequently turning off and on shortens the life of the equipment vastly and my car is 10 years old. So replacement bulbs is what I am yearning for thank you.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Hmmm I might have to try the film I've seen the clear film bras installed and they work very well. I have to admit I asked the parts department at Honda about the headlight bulbs and was told like 600.00 to replace them I do realize they are the most expensive option and I was only looking for bulb part numbers. So your reply is very interesting to me as I know the hid bulbs are impacted by the auto feature on the headlight setting and frequently turning off and on shortens the life of the equipment vastly and my car is 10 years old. So replacement bulbs is what I am yearning for thank you.
Turn off the Auto lights to save the bulbs! I have.

$600 just for the bulbs not new housings? That's insane! There are always less expensive options even Rockauto. Just have to be smart and look.

·
Registered
2012 NSBP EX CVT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yeah, turning off auto headlights was the first thing I did. Well, after I bought a new under hood battery. I asked for the part number for the bulbs and the parts guy looked up my vin and said oh you got the hid headlights they cost 600.00. I'm used to buying silver star bulbs and it sucked that I couldn't buy new bulbs. I saw a company online that said they would take the entire assembly and renew the complete part for 600.00 a set of headlights but they would have to be removed and mailed to them. That wasn't an option for me. I probably should have done more research but I am used to getting good info from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Yeah, turning off auto headlights was the first thing I did. Well, after I bought a new under hood battery. I asked for the part number for the bulbs and the parts guy looked up my vin and said oh you got the hid headlights they cost 600.00. I'm used to buying silver star bulbs and it sucked that I couldn't buy new bulbs. I saw a company online that said they would take the entire assembly and renew the complete part for 600.00 a set of headlights but they would have to be removed and mailed to them. That wasn't an option for me. I probably should have done more research but I am used to getting good info from the dealer.
$600 is replacement for the whole headlight, he either was on the wrong row or they did not want to do the job.
Bulbs are what I showed you.

Here is what RockAuto has when I searched for HID for my 2013, but should be same for all years. These prices appear to be for one bulb. DD is better deal their prices are for a pair, and they should be replaced in pairs.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Screenshot

My car may have the OEM ones, but I have DD ones in stock for my lighting project.

Update: I was wrong. Looking for Genuine OEM Honda Parts and Accessories Online - Honda Parts Now the price for one headlight is $521.24 for the whole headlight, but that may not include bulbs that maybe just for the "capsule".

Rectangle Font Circle Paper Screenshot

Product Font Screenshot Material property Rectangle

Maybe that guy was estimating for installation at a high per hour or flat rate to dissuade you from having them do the job. In Owner's manual they say to replace bulbs it is a dealer install.

Maybe I was not wrong per Headlight (HID) - 2013 Honda CR-Z 3 Door EX KA CVT, and they don't call them Stealerships for nothing!

Rectangle Yellow Font Circle Screenshot

Product Font Rectangle Line Material property

·
Registered
2012 NSBP EX CVT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I should have known, the Honda dealer ship was sold to another company and I never saw that guy again. I had all the clips and screws for the plastic covers under the front of the car on order and had to call them because I never got a call my parts showed up. I guess if you know your losing your job you don't care about the customers.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Do not buy OEM Honda D4S bulbs. Apart from the cost being absurd the boxes are also not sealed so you may wind up with a hot-potato from some dealership service department diagnosis; used/tampered and returned bulbs. At that price and the fact that if not handled with extreme care these bulbs can fail catastrophically and damage other components simply avoid them.

Philips or Osram is the safest and highest quality option and TRS is a legitimate distributor with great pricing. The Retrofit Source D4S

Plenty of others use the Diode brand but Philips and Osram are OEM capsule manufacturers. These things are somewhat complicated to make with the metallic salts used being the most expensive component that dictates both the output quality and bulb life. Too many people see the price per bulb, compare it to what they're used to paying for halogen and go with cheap Ebay/Amazon HID bulbs then come back and ask a million questions about why they're having problems, intermittent operation, frying other components.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
DD is also a high quality option and very legitimate with a warranty.

Do not buy OEM Honda D4S bulbs. Apart from the cost being absurd the boxes are also not sealed so you may wind up with a hot-potato from some dealership service department diagnosis; used/tampered and returned bulbs. At that price and the fact that if not handled with extreme care these bulbs can fail catastrophically and damage other components simply avoid them.

Philips or Osram is the safest and highest quality option and TRS is a legitimate distributor with great pricing. The Retrofit Source D4S

Plenty of others use the Diode brand but Philips and Osram are OEM capsule manufacturers. These things are somewhat complicated to make with the metallic salts used being the most expensive component that dictates both the output quality and bulb life.

·
Registered
2012 NSBP EX CVT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Plenty of others use the Diode brand but Philips and Osram are OEM capsule manufacturers. These things are somewhat complicated to make with the metallic salts used being the most expensive component that dictates both the output quality and bulb life. Too many people see the price per bulb, compare it to what they're used to paying for halogen and go with cheap Ebay/Amazon HID bulbs then come back and ask a million questions about why they're having problems, intermittent operation, frying other components.
I'm used to getting sirver star replacement and using nitril gloves to install them. I don't accept open boxes if it isn't a sealed container it isn't new. I ordered a flat screen and I walked outside after they parked up and the guys had been in the back for 15 seconds or so and they had the tv completely unboxed. I said is that mine? They said yep
I said nope. I didn't see it sealed in the box as far as I'm concerned it is an open box display unit and I paid for brand new in a never opened box. I do not accept this delivery. I will not sign your paperwork and I'm calling the store to tell them that you are pawning off a used tv as new .

·
Registered
2012 NSBP EX CVT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
$600 is replacement for the whole headlight, he either was on the wrong row or they did not want to do the job.
Bulbs are what I showed you.

Here is what RockAuto has when I searched for HID for my 2013, but should be same for all years. These prices appear to be for one bulb. DD is better deal their prices are for a pair, and they should be replaced in pairs.

View attachment 68604
My car may have the OEM ones, but I have DD ones in stock for my lighting project.

Update: I was wrong. Looking for Genuine OEM Honda Parts and Accessories Online - Honda Parts Now the price for one headlight is $521.24 for the whole headlight, but that may not include bulbs that maybe just for the "capsule".

View attachment 68605

View attachment 68606

Maybe that guy was estimating for installation at a high per hour or flat rate to dissuade you from having them do the job. In Owner's manual they say to replace bulbs it is a dealer install.

Maybe I was not wrong per Headlight (HID) - 2013 Honda CR-Z 3 Door EX KA CVT, and they don't call them Stealerships for nothing!

View attachment 68607

View attachment 68608
I don't know but I only asked for part numbers I should have had him write them down or print out what he was looking at. But I was a bit stunned.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just wanted to chime in real quick here.

I think the whole tinting idea was when Ryan mentioned that mixing just a little tint into the 2k clear before painting creates an illusion where the lens seems invisible or "vanishes"..

I don't think the "tinting" aspect was meant to darken, but to create a more optically clear looking headlight

·
Registered
2012 NSBP EX CVT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

I think the whole tinting idea was when Ryan mentioned that mixing just a little tint into the 2k clear before painting creates an illusion where the lens seems invisible or "vanishes"..

I don't think the "tinting" aspect was meant to darken, but to create a more optically clear looking headlight
That's the way I saw it as well, I really don't want to make them less bright.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
They either are clear or they are not. This seems a bit far-fetched, but many on this forum talk about tinting lights, but usually they want yellow for fogs. The company I referred to does offer 2 different darkness levels of tint for headlights. Maybe for show cars or for a look? I don't know. I want as much usable light, properly aimed, that will not blind other drivers.

·
Registered
2012 NSBP EX CVT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I really appreciate all the info everyone provided, I totally forgot to like your posts sorry, I am not on any social media so it didn't even occur to me till now. I can imagine everyone going what the heck? I put all this time in helping him and he doesn't even like the posts?
Geeze, guys so sorry (smh)

·
Registered
2012 NSBP EX CVT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
DD had 80 pairs of the 6000k hid replacements on Saturday, today they had 71 available, I had to wait for my discount code to arrive in my email but now they are on the way. I'd say we got them a couple of sales this weekend. I saw a post online that said there was only a couple of CRZs that sold in 2020 brand new, if I had known they existed I would have bought one. The problem was no advertising, not that there was a problem with the car. For anyone who understands what the point was of the design - the car makes sense.
My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2012 NSBP EX CVT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Also just a quick thought I don't know if you guys have heard of this stuff but it saved me on my 97 Honda Civic ex when the abs light went off from having to sell the car with a light on the dash. It is called Stabilant 22a. It corrects corrosion in electrical contacts. I didn't say cleans because you have to use small brushes to clean the contacts, I used my old weapon cleaning brushes they had for the gas tube in the m16 and I twirled the brass brush in all the connectors with the Stabilant 22a dropped into the connection... of course the battery was long dead before I attempted this. But I cleaned all the yellow connections I could find under the seat, inside the console, the belt buckle and the clock spring... Everything, and after reassembling the abs light was on, I had to reset the code with a code reader and we got the car inspected after driving 100 miles or so it was still off and the light had been on ever since it went out of warranty. The dealer told me diagnostic tests would be 200.00 so 50 bucks and some elbow grease was well worth it. I probably would have tried to clean the connectors earlier but we were driving the car and I had to disassemble a lot of stuff to get to the abs connectors and the system is scary because it can go off even with the battery disconnected from residual energy stored in the system. I'm no technician and I can't tell which connector was the bad one but I suspect under the seat or clock spring was the culprit.

·
Registered
2012 NSBP EX CVT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
In case you want more info on cleaning contacts and switches etc.
That is the forum I found that I referenced my cleaning of electrical connectors from this guy is waaaay smarter than I am and sounds like a guy I'd like to hang with.
He was in the air force and had to find chemicals to clean connectors and switches that would last.
He sounds like he was over my pay grade.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
DD had 80 pairs of the 6000k hid replacements on Saturday, today they had 71 available, I had to wait for my discount code to arrive in my email but now they are on the way. I'd say we got them a couple of sales this weekend. I saw a post online that said there was only a couple of CRZs that sold in 2020 brand new, if I had known they existed I would have bought one. The problem was no advertising, not that there was a problem with the car. For anyone who understands what the point was of the design - the car makes sense.
My 2 cents worth.
Not 2020 year build, maybe left over. CR-Zs were discontinued in 2016. The holy grail is a leftover low mileage, still wrapped car. They exist. There is a whole thread on here about a CRX like that, the prices for those unicorns are crazy. If you find one, you have to be concerned with what has deteriorated. With a CR-Z you would have to worry about the hybrid battery.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts