Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
I believe these are the bulbs I put in my old car. You don't realize how dim your old bulbs are till you replace them. You did the right thing replacing both.:smile2:

for anyone else interested in halogen bulb upgrades, i've recently put in some Philips X-treme Vision bulbs into my wife's CT200. one of her original bulbs went out so i figured i'd improve the really poor light output from the stock bulbs while i was at it. her car does not have HID's. her car is detailed regularly and the headlights, aside from a few rock chips, is still very clear with no fading (can't say the same for my CRZ tho!).

was quite impressed with the X-treme vision bulbs. you can actually see a cut off on the beam pattern, which i previously thought was non-existent. definitely ain't an HID but casts a solid bright (I'd say, "daylight") color.

the bulb itself has a tinge of blue along the edge, but is mostly for aesthetics as the glass is predominantly clear. i guess to give that blue sparkle when viewed from at angles (barely noticeable). the actual beam in the usable range is white with zero coloring/tint.

considering toyota has some of the worst OEM headlamps (halogen equipped models), i wish i had put them in sooner. the Philips were very high quality, and STRAIGHT. this is important. i've used cheap bright bulbs (cough*nokya*cough) and several others. many cheap brands come bent from the factory requiring you to re-align the headlamps. the Philips were dead-on on alignment.

hell might even get a few sets for myself for the high beam and fogs and skip LED's altogether.

you can find them in just about any major auto parts store. considering her stock bulbs went out at 6 years, i'd be happy if these high output bulbs last 3 years in the wifey's CT200.

Sorry to piggy back on the tread but I am also looking for head light upgrade, as my daily commute is during the night. I have a base CRZ 2011 so I'm not sure how good the HID are.
Not sure what part of the world you are from, but if you want the HID headlights, keep an eye out for crashed cars, etc and you might be able to score some for cheap.

Another thing that is known with the crz (at least with the HID like I have), is that the headlights from the factory are pointed down a bit. Apparently if you adjust them upwards a tiny bit, the output is better.

I have the HID lights on my 2011 ex nv, and honestly, the OEM halogens in my mom's 01 Accord seem way brighter. But, she has new bulbs I put in.

I would try swapping bulbs first and possibly aiming the lights up a bit and see what you think. The hid are nice, but even I hate driving at night sometimes. Soon I think I will replace my bulbs too, then maybe my opinion will change.

If you need a factory service manual to work on your car, I'll send you a pm with the link to download. Then you can see how they are adjusted.

Another thing that is known with the crz (at least with the HID like I have), is that the headlights from the factory are pointed down a bit. Apparently if you adjust them upwards a tiny bit, the output is better.

The hid are nice, but even I hate driving at night sometimes. Soon I think I will replace my bulbs too, then maybe my opinion will change.
So it's not just my imagination that they should be aimed just a smidge higher? lol.

Also, I've noticed a seemingly HUGE decrease in output (but probably only like 10%) from 48-120K miles on the factory bulbs.

The hid are nice, but even I hate driving at night sometimes. Soon I think I will replace my bulbs too, then maybe my opinion will change.
So it's not just my imagination that they should be aimed just a smidge higher? lol.

Also, I've noticed a seemingly HUGE decrease in output (but probably only like 10%) from 48-120K miles on the factory bulbs.
Yeah, this was a known improvement people use to post about here.

I need new bulbs for my new crz.. they are garbage. Just not sure what to go with since the OEM HID bulbs cost like $260/ea and all the ones on eBay are fake replica bulbs claiming to be real.

Was thinking about going for the diode dynamic oem replacements, but someone mentioned they had a blurry cutoff? Not sure though.. For the price though, that might be the way to go. $60/pair!!

Sorry to piggy back on the tread but I am also looking for head light upgrade, as my daily commute is during the night. I have a base CRZ 2011 so I'm not sure how good the HID are.
This is a direct cut and paste of a 2 year old post, might be a troll...

Yeah, this was a known improvement people use to post about here.

I need new bulbs for my new crz.. they are garbage. Just not sure what to go with since the OEM HID bulbs cost like $260/ea and all the ones on eBay are fake replica bulbs claiming to be real.

Was thinking about going for the diode dynamic oem replacements, but someone mentioned they had a blurry cutoff? Not sure though.. For the price though, that might be the way to go. $60/pair!!
I'm not surprised... I never heard it before today.

I thought you were joking... $500/pair!
This is a direct cut and paste of a 2 year old post, might be a troll...
yea... note the sketchy book of ra link in the signature... googled that and it's an online gambling thing.

Had to do this on my purple Z, I haven't had to adjust Red's lights at all.

This sounds like a lot of bs, unnecessary stuff and stuff that is not recommended by many good detailers. The "engine dress" absolutely do not recommend doing that. Tire dressing, also bad for the rubber but hard to convince hard parkers of that. Polishing the paint should only be done if the car absolutely needs it, most do not, will thin the clear coat and make the paint more fragile for lack of a better word. Headlight restoration should ideally be done with as many components around the headlights off the car off or heavily masked (for example bumper removal or heavy liberal masking tape over all surrounding painted surfaces). Sounds like a lot of armor all or similar greasy interior/'trim protectant' use as well, terrible stuff, all of those plastic 'dressings' are horrible.

You could save yourself that $180-380 and detail yourself, no matter the reviews they're not written by other detailers (who do their own cars) so those people may think it looks good the moment its delivered and or simply have untrained eyes. Its not much more than a wash, clay bar, wash, wax. Headlight restoration is just elbow grease or careful power drill use. Engine rinsedown (cold). Once you buy the few products necessary for this they last a long time. If you want more information there are dozens of threads on detailing.

This thread could also use a lot of clarification on the lighting front. Everyone needs to clearly state trim level of their car first and foremost.

CR-Z Base model/LX= Halogen low beam headlights (approximately $15 a bulb), can be ghetto-modded to HID but won't ever be the same quality as having all OEM HID components or a decent 'retrofit' of similar OEM HID components (chiefly projectors, ballasts, igniters and bulbs).

CR-Z EX/EX-L/Navigation = High Intensity Discharge (arclamp) low beam headlights (as little as ~$180 a bulb for the bare minimum quality up to $300+ for OEM, anything less is a reverse engineered copy and may result in a bulb exploding in the headlight housing or even a fire, which one member did have).

Alright, but where are the steps to retrofit the HID bulbs????????? I am in the garage, ready!!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.