Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Headlamps

11K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  rmsflex 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some new headlamps (dipped beam) for my CRZ without spending too much. Preferably looking for the bright xenon headlamps (I think those are the bright white ones)? Does anyone have any they would recommend? I found ones on Amazon that says they will fit my car?

#2 ·
If you have an EX you already have HID lights if you do not they get very expensive. Another option is LEDs Diode Dynamics sells lots of options and light levels for all of your bulbs. Even if you do not buy from them their web page is a very good tutorial.

The HID lights require a transformer( Ballast) and other parts they are not just bulb replacements and if you do not know how to do OEM style wiring then it is a lot of work. I looked for and could not find the Epic thread where Litz and I explained how to do fool proof wiring. Big Hint be careful with those "vampire" taps. The summary is they do work if used properly but you want to wrap with electrical tape or heat shrink tape or just cut use crimp connectors and heat shrink or if you are old school solder and then protect with good electrical tape or heat shrink tubing.

What are you really looking for? Useful light or a look?

#3 ·
#4 ·
Sorry to piggy back on the tread but I am also looking for head light upgrade, as my daily commute is during the night. I have a base CRZ 2011 so I'm not sure how good the HID are.

Browsing DD site this should be a huge upgrade from stock LED? Is there any benefit/con going 6k vs 8k?

https://www.diodedynamics.com/store...1-2014-honda-cr-z-low-beam-hid-conversion-kit
On a Base CR-Z you have halogen Headlights not HID. There are brighter Halogens available ( Xtreme vision etc) or you can go the very expensive route of retrofitting HIDs. In between are LEDs that do not require the ballasts. Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope this information helps you.:grin2:

If you have a 2011 and the Headlight bulbs are the originals then it is possible they have dimmed. You may want to try replacement bulbs first( available in many lumen (brightness) ranges). Also check your lenses for fogging and damage ( AKA Cataracts). One or both can reduce your light intensity a lot.

#7 ·
If giving solid advice is offensive, by all means continue to offend me =p. The person I have detailing my car has cleaning the headlights in his package and I'll definitely look into protective films. I was already planning on using him to have the car clean for her 6th bday. I have never had a car detailed but his prices seems manageable to have all of this done at my house, hes also got great reviews.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/above-and-beyond-mobile-detailing-services-austin-3

The All In One Package

No Rinse car wash
Engine Degrease and dress
Scratch removal (removing most surface scratches)
Clay bar treatment
Polish and Sealant
Head light Restoration
Degrease Rims and tires
Hand Polish Rims
Tire Dress/Shine
Machine scrub carpets, mats and cloth seats
Clean & condition all leather & vinyl seats
Clean all interior crevices using compressed air
Remove all dirt/scuff marks from plastics and leather
Clean all door jambs
Condition/protect all interior & exterior plastics/trim
Clean all windows
Price range is from $180.00 to $380.00

all depends on the size and condition of vehicle.

In the process of doing some Spring cleaning out the garage, my Z will never sleep outside again =)

#8 ·
Since the CR-Z is so small the price should be less :rotfl:. All Kidding aside once you have it done once it is easy to maintain it yourself. I call it therapy.>:)

If you want Xpel. I had some warranty work done at a great shop in Austin they even have the specialized Computer cutting machine and do custom work ( I watched them cover a Tesla, a very special BMW completely and a boat hull while I was waiting)

They will be surprised when a second CR-Z shows up but they were nice they were good and if I was still in Austin I would use them again.:smile2:

XPEL - Austin Paint Protection Film / Clear Bra and Window Film

If giving solid advice is offensive, by all means continue to offend me =p. The person I have detailing my car has cleaning the headlights in his package and I'll definitely look into protective films. I was already planning on using him to have the car clean for her 6th bday. I have never had a car detailed but his prices seems manageable to have all of this done at my house, hes also got great reviews.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/above-and-beyond-mobile-detailing-services-austin-3

The All In One Package

No Rinse car wash
Engine Degrease and dress
Scratch removal (removing most surface scratches)
Clay bar treatment
Polish and Sealant
Head light Restoration
Degrease Rims and tires
Hand Polish Rims
Tire Dress/Shine
Machine scrub carpets, mats and cloth seats
Clean & condition all leather & vinyl seats
Clean all interior crevices using compressed air
Remove all dirt/scuff marks from plastics and leather
Clean all door jambs
Condition/protect all interior & exterior plastics/trim
Clean all windows
Price range is from $180.00 to $380.00

all depends on the size and condition of vehicle.

#14 ·
Sorry, been trying to read and watch as many video/articles during my spare time to learn more about HID. From the videos I've seen they are a huge increase in both performance and price. If I do decide to upgrade my stock CR-Z Base model/LX Halogens, I should purchase these components correct?

HID Headlit units both Left and Right - https://www.hondapartsdirect.com/au...al-exhaust-heater-fuel-cat/headlight-hid-scat

Bulb/Ballast - https://www.diodedynamics.com/store...1-2014-honda-cr-z-low-beam-hid-conversion-kit

HID Relay - Heavy-Duty Waterproof Relay +$30.00

Is there other components I need?

#15 ·
Just because they are OEM parts you may not have the Factory Wiring needed. Because we are talking High Voltage if the wiring is not the right gauge then you risk a fire.:nerd:

Sorry, been trying to read and watch as many video/articles during my spare time to learn more about HID. From the videos I've seen they are a huge increase in both performance and price. If I do decide to upgrade my stock CR-Z Base model/LX Halogens, I should purchase these components correct?

HID Headlit units both Left and Right - https://www.hondapartsdirect.com/au...al-exhaust-heater-fuel-cat/headlight-hid-scat

Bulb/Ballast - https://www.diodedynamics.com/store...1-2014-honda-cr-z-low-beam-hid-conversion-kit

HID Relay - Heavy-Duty Waterproof Relay +$30.00

Is there other components I need?

#19 ·
tried Philips X-treme Vision bulbs (they're very good halogens!)

for anyone else interested in halogen bulb upgrades, i've recently put in some Philips X-treme Vision bulbs into my wife's CT200. one of her original bulbs went out so i figured i'd improve the really poor light output from the stock bulbs while i was at it. her car does not have HID's. her car is detailed regularly and the headlights, aside from a few rock chips, is still very clear with no fading (can't say the same for my CRZ tho!).

was quite impressed with the X-treme vision bulbs. you can actually see a cut off on the beam pattern, which i previously thought was non-existent. definitely ain't an HID but casts a solid bright (I'd say, "daylight") color.

the bulb itself has a tinge of blue along the edge, but is mostly for aesthetics as the glass is predominantly clear. i guess to give that blue sparkle when viewed from at angles (barely noticeable). the actual beam in the usable range is white with zero coloring/tint.

considering toyota has some of the worst OEM headlamps (halogen equipped models), i wish i had put them in sooner. the Philips were very high quality, and STRAIGHT. this is important. i've used cheap bright bulbs (cough*nokya*cough) and several others. many cheap brands come bent from the factory requiring you to re-align the headlamps. the Philips were dead-on on alignment.

hell might even get a few sets for myself for the high beam and fogs and skip LED's altogether.

you can find them in just about any major auto parts store. considering her stock bulbs went out at 6 years, i'd be happy if these high output bulbs last 3 years in the wifey's CT200.

#21 ·
I believe these are the bulbs I put in my old car. You don't realize how dim your old bulbs are till you replace them. You did the right thing replacing both.:smile2:

for anyone else interested in halogen bulb upgrades, i've recently put in some Philips X-treme Vision bulbs into my wife's CT200. one of her original bulbs went out so i figured i'd improve the really poor light output from the stock bulbs while i was at it. her car does not have HID's. her car is detailed regularly and the headlights, aside from a few rock chips, is still very clear with no fading (can't say the same for my CRZ tho!).

was quite impressed with the X-treme vision bulbs. you can actually see a cut off on the beam pattern, which i previously thought was non-existent. definitely ain't an HID but casts a solid bright (I'd say, "daylight") color.

the bulb itself has a tinge of blue along the edge, but is mostly for aesthetics as the glass is predominantly clear. i guess to give that blue sparkle when viewed from at angles (barely noticeable). the actual beam in the usable range is white with zero coloring/tint.

considering toyota has some of the worst OEM headlamps (halogen equipped models), i wish i had put them in sooner. the Philips were very high quality, and STRAIGHT. this is important. i've used cheap bright bulbs (cough*nokya*cough) and several others. many cheap brands come bent from the factory requiring you to re-align the headlamps. the Philips were dead-on on alignment.

hell might even get a few sets for myself for the high beam and fogs and skip LED's altogether.

you can find them in just about any major auto parts store. considering her stock bulbs went out at 6 years, i'd be happy if these high output bulbs last 3 years in the wifey's CT200.

#20 ·
also, Blue Magic Headlight Lens Sealer is great stuff for keeping your headlamps clear and protected. either after you do a headlight restoration (i have already), or to keep them nice and protected

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/285906/00658

also works great anywhere you need to protect gloss finished plastic parts from UV. i use them on window visors (i use them on my OEM honda visors), as well as on rear taillamps, and it's fantastic on the rear plastic LED 3rd taillamp trim and the front windshield trim (the black glossy trim)

don't use (or mask off) the matte finish door trim as it will leave unsightly smudges and streaks. same for your car's paint. mask the surrounding painted panels or wipe clean after you're done.

This post has been deleted
#22 ·
Not sure what part of the world you are from, but if you want the HID headlights, keep an eye out for crashed cars, etc and you might be able to score some for cheap.

Another thing that is known with the crz (at least with the HID like I have), is that the headlights from the factory are pointed down a bit. Apparently if you adjust them upwards a tiny bit, the output is better.

I have the HID lights on my 2011 ex nv, and honestly, the OEM halogens in my mom's 01 Accord seem way brighter. But, she has new bulbs I put in.

I would try swapping bulbs first and possibly aiming the lights up a bit and see what you think. The hid are nice, but even I hate driving at night sometimes. Soon I think I will replace my bulbs too, then maybe my opinion will change.

If you need a factory service manual to work on your car, I'll send you a pm with the link to download. Then you can see how they are adjusted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.