Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Have you had any issues with the IMA hybrid system?

• Yes

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 23 79.3%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently, quite a few threads were started concering some IMA issues (hybrid battery, IMA fan, etc.). This got me wondering how many of us have had any IMA issues. Some CR-Zs are aound 10 years old now, so maybe a good time to have a poll.

Please cast your vote!

For me the answer is no (knocks on wood). The IMA system has been great so far!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've had self inflicted issues with IMA systems on all of the ~10 IMA cars I have owned in the last 18 years or so. ;)

All have been reversible/fixable/modifications or even the occasional real fault etc.

The final Nimh battery based IMA systems are very reliable. Early CR-Z, G2 Insight, Jazz Hybrid
The newer Lithium battery based systems are still a bit of an unknown quantity. (I'm not convinced about battery longevity in these yet.)

Both varieties can have external IMA fan problems.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had self inflicted issues with IMA systems on all of the ~10 IMA cars I have owned in the last 18 years or so. ;)

All have been reversible/fixable/modifications or even the occasional real fault etc.

The final Nimh battery based IMA systems are very reliable. Early CR-Z, G2 Insight, Jazz Hybrid
The newer Lithium battery based systems are still a bit of an unknown quantity. (I'm not convinced about battery longevity in these yet.)

Both varieties can have external IMA fan problems.
Just out of curiosity, do you prefer the NiMH CR-Zs over the Lithium ones, due to battery longevity? I currently own a NiMH one, but love to upgrade to a 2013/2014 model. However, your posts make me wonder if the NiMH CR-Z is actually the ‘smarter’ one to own.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Too early to say and much more work/experimenting needs to be done.
Can the Nimh pack work in a Lithium CR-Z for instance?
How really hackable is the Lithium system?

Currently I like them both 50/50.....

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I had one instance where the IMA was disabled after a money shift, but it resolved itself fairly quickly, and was very much a failsafe and not a failure.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm not sure if mine is a yes or a no really....

I've never had an issue with the system working in my almost 2 years of ownership (2011 UK model) but I did see the IMA light come on (only that warning light) once several months back when starting the car to drive to work.

The car actually still drove fine with both assist and regeneration happening (i.e. I could feel it and it included the usual bars). I spent my lunch break reading on here and through the workshop manual for similar reports and likely reasons and was looking at going to the dealer or buying an ODB2 scanner of some kind (there are so many it is really difficult to pick something that is of good quality and affordable) but, when I started the car again at the end of the working day to drive home it was back to normal with no light.

Since then (touch wood) it has never re-occurred. I like the car enough that I'm prepared to consider the large spend for a new pack eventually if the mechanicals hold up like my older Honda but, I do really hope to put that off for a good while if at all possible.

·
Registered
234 Posts
FYI an OBD2 scanner will not be able to read an IMA code, only a Honda HDS (genuine or clone) or similarly capable professional scanner (i.e. SnapOn Modus) can do so. It's possible that the code is still present even if the light is now off so it might be worth having it scanned if you can find someone to do so. Or you can pick up one of the clone HDS units for about $100 (runs on a Windows PC) and you'll then have it on hand anytime you need it. This will also give you a window into the battery pack so you can see its full status and if needed follow Peter's grid-charge procedure which can help prolong its life.
Anecdotally there have been hardly any owners here who have needed their packs replaced even with high mileage.

As for my own IMA experience it's been pretty positive. No issues with the system since I got the car last year, the only thing I found was a rather low usable capacity which was perplexing since all the battery parameters look good. I did a reset to full capacity (75%) and after several months and several thousand miles it hasn't changed. Getting full 10KW assist and good charging.
I have both the Chinese HDS and one of Peter's OBD C&C units.

·
Registered
33 Posts
[, so maybe a good time to have a poll.

I bought my CRZ new in 2011, so it's now 10 years old with 140,000 miles. I've had zero IMA issues, which I have entered in the poll.

Other than routine maintenance, I've had one blown fuel injector at 99,940 miles, which was replaced free under my extended Honda Care. The AC compressor blew at 120,000.

I'm on my 2nd set of brakes and 2nd 12v battery, but still getting good service from the original clutch. Overall, I'm a very happy camper!

·
Registered
3 Posts
About a month back my 2011 started throwing a P1448 code every so often.

A week ago the IMA and charging system light on the dash lit up. I had stopped at a light on a steep hill about two minutes from my apartment and when I went to drive off the hill start assist didn't kick in like it normally does and I ended up stalling the car. At this point almost everything on the dash lights up. I had lost power steering, ABS, climate control, and pretty much anything else based on 12V. After a few tries it restarted and I was able to make my way home where I diagnosed that the IPU fan was shot and the DC-DC converter was overheating.

The fan unit is currently sitting on my desk awaiting some new MOSFETs and I have some flexible ducting taped to an A/C vent which runs to the duct in the IPU. No errors so far...

I also took the car to a parts shop for them to check the 12V battery. That was fine, but the cashier who did the test told me my alternator was bad.:unsure: I held my tongue and carried on my merry way.

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
Lots of fan failures posted and now a not an easily replaceable part. It is good you have a plan in mind. Hopefully that will resolve your issues permanently. Good Luck!

I wonder what that shop would have said if you explained that the car has no alternator.:ROFLMAO:

About a month back my 2011 started throwing a P1448 code every so often.

A week ago the IMA and charging system light on the dash lit up. I had stopped at a light on a steep hill about two minutes from my apartment and when I went to drive off the hill start assist didn't kick in like it normally does and I ended up stalling the car. At this point almost everything on the dash lights up. I had lost power steering, ABS, climate control, and pretty much anything else based on 12V. After a few tries it restarted and I was able to make my way home where I diagnosed that the IPU fan was shot and the DC-DC converter was overheating.

The fan unit is currently sitting on my desk awaiting some new MOSFETs and I have some flexible ducting taped to an A/C vent which runs to the duct in the IPU. No errors so far...

I also took the car to a parts shop for them to check the 12V battery. That was fine, but the cashier who did the test told me my alternator was bad.:unsure: I held my tongue and carried on my merry way.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots of fan failures posted and now a not an easily replaceable part. It is good you have a plan in mind. Hopefully that will resolve your issues permanently. Good Luck!

I wonder what that shop would have said if you explained that the car has no alternator.:ROFLMAO:
From my time on this forum, I think the fan is the most common issue. I wonder what this would cost to let a dealership fix it (part + labor). Have you ever seen anyone comment on replacement or part costs?

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
If you can get the part it is very easy to replace or so others have mentioned. It would be better to do it yourself as many members have been told that fan failure = battery replacement at many 1000s of $s. One member ended up trading their car in for a new car due to those lies. :mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the frequency of fan failures and shortage of parts, I think it would behoove us to compile a thread that is dedicated to the troubleshooting and repair of the fan control board. If my repair is successful I may start one.

I don't know a ton about MOSFETS so please correct me if I am wrong. I'm particularly concerned with selecting the correct MOSFETs, as the specs of the ones mentioned on the Jazz forum (TK72A12N1) differ substantially from the original 2SK3755s. The original transistors don't seem to be available outside of China and I would like to find a substitute that is stocked reliably by domestic distributors who won't take several weeks to get one to you. So far I've ordered TK35A08N1s as they exceed the specs of the originals and are the closest I've found in terms of switching times, gate charge, capacitance, and other characteristics that are apparently important for motor control applications.

I wanted to tell the cashier that it was doing well enough for something that didn't exist, but they're just trying to get through the day and don't need my sass.

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
@PeterPerkins maybe of some assistance with the fan. He made a thread looking for a dead one and has from his parts bin supplied bits of one.

We just need to find a more common replacement. I know the Original fan part number was superseded by another but that one is also difficult to source.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It would be great to have a thread about the IMA fan failure to combine all information like part numbers, replacement instructions, pictures, but also websites that sell the relevant (hard to find) parts, part prices, and replacement costs at a Honda dealership (for people who are not that handy). It would be nice to have all information combined for when someone faces this issue.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I made a thread about the IMA FAN Failure and repair ideas, I suggest just add to it..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts