Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the ORC Light Clutch, Im worried about drivability and engine braking with a lightweight flywheel and cannot seem to find the weight of the kit, it seems the HKS is a must do but this is mostly due to the small amount of weight reduction so since I cannot find the weight Im worried about drivability
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Has anyone used the ORC Light Clutch, Im worried about drivability and engine braking with a lightweight flywheel and cannot seem to find the weight of the kit, it seems the HKS is a must do but this is mostly due to the small amount of weight reduction so since I cannot find the weight Im worried about drivability
Any thoughts?
I suggest you don't modify anything if your worried about 'driveability'.

Haha.. seriously though. Mods = on your way to breaking / paying for more stuff you didn't intend to. And not much gain from it.

I would stick with stock if you are worried about driveability.

Unless you can pull the trans yourself, I wouldn't want to spent the money to get it done and then be unimpressed with such an investment.

I actually just got quoted yesterday $1200 to replace the clutch on my 2011.

Also, you should check out the search function. There is lots on here about different clutches, who may have installed them, etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suggest you don't modify anything if your worried about 'driveability'.
Lightweight flywheels make starting a pain in the ass and reduce engine breaking, there are quite a few mods that increase drivability
Haha.. seriously though. Mods = on your way to breaking / paying for more stuff you didn't intend to. And not much gain from it.
Not necessarily there are also plenty of mods that increase reliability

I would stick with stock if you are worried about driveability.
I dont know how you came to that conclusion but it shows you havent done many mods and dont know much about cars

Unless you can pull the trans yourself, I wouldn't want to spent the money to get it done and then be unimpressed with such an investment.
I can, have and plan to

I actually just got quoted yesterday $1200 to replace the clutch on my 2011.
Thats why you should do it yourself, its not hard at all really its just time consuming

Also, you should check out the search function. There is lots on here about different clutches, who may have installed them, etc.
Done that, seems like you might need to

To be perfectly honest if you dont have anything helpful to say you shouldnt comment, its not useful to anyone to say the same thing over and over again and use the search function

·
Premium Member
5,613 Posts
Any thoughts?
I agree with @d1giPhux on this one: You did ask "Any thoughts?" right?>:)

Might have to read through some build threads--here's a few:
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/cr-z-build-threads/72889-kmt-s-slow-go-build.html
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/cr-z-build-threads/69610-ace-2011-gt-turbo-12.html

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I agree with @d1giPhux on this one: You did ask "Any thoughts?" right?>:)

Might have to read through some build threads--here's a few:
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/cr-z-build-threads/72889-kmt-s-slow-go-build.html
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/cr-z-build-threads/69610-ace-2011-gt-turbo-12.html
Well I guess you could say I did, but I meant related to the drivability of the flywheel, I have read just about all of this form as I have been lurking for almost a year as I had tried to sign up many times and couldnt but I did not read many of the build threads, I will look thos two over

Edit:
The 1st one the clutch kit is on the wishlist but other than the 1st page is not mentioned
The 2nd link at the end, the dude said the clutch is like stock, which honestly is good to know but doesnt pertain to what I asked

·
Premium Member
5,613 Posts
Well I guess you could say I did, but I meant related to the driveability of the flywheel, I have read just about all of this form as I have been lurking for almost a year as I had tried to sign up many times and couldn't but I did not read many of the build threads, I will look those two over

Edit:
The 1st one the clutch kit is on the wishlist but other than the 1st page is not mentioned
The 2nd link at the end, the dude said the clutch is like stock, which honestly is good to know but doesnt pertain to what I asked
Thought it was Acreyl, and maybe Rustbucket, commenting on a post that they were the best ones to get for street use, but at a premium price. Have you checked the difference in costs between OCR (including shipping) and OEM? Otherwise, the thing I remember reading about them, was that driveability was better than any other option besides OEM. Maybe check out ITEM9 and Nightwish build threads...they might have noted something on them, but it likely that the members who have that clutch, just don't frequent the forum anymore.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought it was Acreyl, and maybe Rustbucket, commenting on a post that they were the best ones to get for street use, but at a premium price. Have you checked the difference in costs between OCR (including shipping) and OEM? Otherwise, the thing I remember reading about them, was that driveability was better than any other option besides OEM. Maybe check out ITEM9 and Nightwish build threads...they might have noted something on them, but it likely that the members who have that clutch, just don't frequent the forum anymore.
Yes, OEM is far cheaper but I need a stronger clutch and it seems OEM, OCR and Spec are the only options left
Plus Im prob gunna need to resurface the flywheel but I will cost just a small bit more to buy the OCR kit with the lighter flywheel than to replace it with another Spec, but Im worried about issues with the lighter flywheel

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I've had lightweight flywheels, and have done many mods to cars. Proper suspension still being my favorite of all time!!

The lighter flywheel shouldn't cause you any issues. I've even ran one before with lightweight crank pulley on a stock (OEM spec) exedy clutch on a subaru. Revved up a tiny bit faster. But, my stock clutch currently has over 180k. If I can get another 180k without replacing it, count me in!!

Thanks for the tip on the clutch. Seems to be that way.. time consuming. I will most likely try it myself. Any tips on the job?

I was just saying, stock can sometimes be a very nice thing. ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had lightweight flywheels, and have done many mods to cars. Proper suspension still being my favorite of all time!!

Thanks for the tip on the clutch. Seems to be that way.. time consuming.

I was just saying, stock can sometimes be a very nice thing. ;)
I wouldnt mind the stock, in fact Id prefer it due to it being far cheaper, but I need something that will hold more power and last longer this is my dilemma as there seems to be only 4 kits left(OEM, Spec, OCR and HKS(way to expensive for me or Id go for that one))

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I wouldnt mind the stock, in fact Id prefer it due to it being far cheaper, but I need something that will hold more power and last longer this is my dilemma as there seems to be only 4 kits left(OEM, Spec, OCR and HKS(way to expensive for me or Id go for that one))
Eh, stock, even at good pricing with flywheel, pressure plate, etc is lik $750+.. so not really cheaper. About the same. Plus or minus a tiny bit.

Your best bet would probably be the SPEC clutch. Properly installed. I think they are like $550 + flywheel cost.

I think I read about possibly using the newer 15-16 model year for a bit more robustness since they have the LI-ON added power. But, not sure on that one.

I think you wont find much else other than the SPEC Stage 1-4 unless you wanna order from japan. Honestly, they are probably the same anyways.

But, I have no clue.

Oh yeah, check this out. Confirmation that stock will work with Supercharger, and confirmation from members:

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/aftermarket-crowd/73017-hpd-lsd-clutch-discontinued.html

SO yeah, maybe go with the newer spec clutch from the Li-ON cars??

Edit: Just checked. Part number for OEM is 22300-RTW-005 for ALL model years.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eh, stock, even at good pricing with flywheel, pressure plate, etc is lik $750+.. so not really cheaper. About the same. Plus or minus a tiny bit.

Your best bet would probably be the SPEC clutch. Properly installed. I think they are like $550 + flywheel cost.

I think I read about possibly using the newer 15-16 model year for a bit more robustness since they have the LI-ON added power. But, not sure on that one.

I think you wont find much else other than the SPEC Stage 1-4 unless you wanna order from japan. Honestly, they are probably the same anyways.

But, I have no clue.

Oh yeah, check this out. Confirmation that stock will work with Supercharger, and confirmation from members:

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/aftermarket-crowd/73017-hpd-lsd-clutch-discontinued.html

SO yeah, maybe go with the newer spec clutch from the Li-ON cars??

Edit: Just checked. Part number for OEM is 22300-RTW-005 for ALL model years.
The stock clutch kit from Amazon is around 230 usd, flywheel resurfacing is around 50usd and the bearing is 30 - 50 usd so not even close to that price
I have spec but need to make sure its not a spec issue, I dunno whats going on I will not know if its spec or not till I drop the transmission if its spec I do not want another one
Doesnt matter, I want something that lasts longer and holds more power, I had stock obviously and it sucks
Li-ion is 13 and up and yes we have a bigger clutch, all model years will fit my car but I dont know if its backward compatible

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The stock clutch kit from Amazon is around 230 usd, flywheel resurfacing is around 50usd and the bearing is 30 - 50 usd so not even close to that price
I have spec but need to make sure its not a spec issue, I dunno whats going on I will not know if its spec or not till I drop the transmission if its spec I do not want another one
Doesnt matter, I want something that lasts longer and holds more power, I had stock obviously and it sucks
Li-ion is 13 and up and yes we have a bigger clutch, all model years will fit my car but I dont know if its backward compatible
Amazon clutch kit... now thats one i DEF wouldn't buy!! So much fake crap on there.

I actually have all the parts in my shopping cart right now. $758 from one of the best OEM honda parts sellers online. Thats with a new flywheel though:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Flywheel
Flywheel
Product ID: 22100-RTW-005

$315.24 $315.24
----------------------------------
Bush (19X24X8)
Bush (19X24X8)
Product ID: 22103-RNA-004
$14.74 $14.74
Disk, Friction
Disk, Friction
Product ID: 22200-RTW-005
$133.42 $133.42
Disk, Pressure
Disk, Pressure
Product ID: 22300-RTW-005
$260.52 $260.52
Bolt, Twelve Point (8MM) (Tokai Trw)
Product ID: 90034-689-000
Remove
$5.81 $34.86
Bearing, Clutch Release (Fujikoshi) - Honda (22810-RPF-003)
$54.72

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amazon clutch kit... now thats one i DEF wouldn't buy!! So much fake crap on there.

I actually have all the parts in my shopping cart right now. $758 from one of the best OEM honda parts sellers online. Thats with a new flywheel though:
Flywheel
Flywheel
Product ID: 22100-RTW-005

$315.24 $315.24
Bush (19X24X8)
Bush (19X24X8)
Product ID: 22103-RNA-004
$14.74 $14.74
Disk, Friction
Disk, Friction
Product ID: 22200-RTW-005
$133.42 $133.42
Disk, Pressure
Disk, Pressure
Product ID: 22300-RTW-005
$260.52 $260.52
Product ID: 90034-689-000
Remove
$5.81 $34.86
Bearing, Clutch Release (Fujikoshi) - Honda (22810-RPF-003)
$54.72
Its genuine honda, I have shopped online for most of my life I know how to weed out fake crap, I am an insanely frugal person which is why I am so good at comparison shopping, I would NEVER EVER buy straight from honda, I dont have the money for that crap and its vastly overpriced, few things I wouldnt buy used the clutch just happens to be one of them, for example, I got a genuine honda used(less mileage than my car) CV axle for 140 usd which costs over 700 usd on honda parts now
To provide my point I have currently done well over 10k of stuff to my car in the past few weeks that cost me less than 1k and still have about 5 to 10k of more stuff to do, I will have spent a total of around one 1k when all is said and done about 1.5k if I need to change the clutch

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There always needs to be a first guinea pig, this time it may be you.
I would but I dont have the money, Im trying to build a house, so Im more or less maxed out on my car before the clutch, so thats gunna be an expense thats gunna cut into my house money

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I would but I dont have the money, Im trying to build a house, so Im more or less maxed out on my car before the clutch, so thats gunna be an expense thats gunna cut into my house money
Kind of makes the decision for you then, doesn't it?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got my starter out of the hole and found out that my flywheel teeth are completely free from the flywheel and that was the sound I was hearing when I turned the car on and off, it also means that my flywheel is prob cracked so I decided to go ahead and buy this kit its cheaper than buying stock and a new clutch and I have suspicions that the spec clutch is the cause I read someone else having a cracked flywheel after using a spec clutch
I will keep everyone updated on this kit for anyone that wants to know about it

1 - 20 of 45 Posts