Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the first few months of owning my CR-Z back in 2014 my front rotors warped after pushing them a bit hard in the mountains. I replaced with EBC USR7126 slotted rotors and didn't have any further issues until this past year. I've moved to a new area and make a weekly commute through a 5,000ft mountain pass which includes some very windy roads about half the year. I'm starting to notice vibration in my brake pedal during hard braking, especially if I've been using them heavily. I haven't had the rotors checked yet but I'm fairly certain either my front or back are warped again and I'd like to replace all four.

Does anyone have any experience with Hart Brakes? The price on these seems crazy low but their other kits are more in the normal range so I'm wondering if they're just trying to clear out stock on these: Amazon.com: Fit 2011-2015 Honda CR-Z Black Hart Full Kit Brake Rotors Kit+Ceramic Brake Pads: Automotive

I'm not looking for the expense of a caliper upgrade or anything major. But if anyone has any suggestions on good pads/rotors for shedding heat during heavy use it would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
I just had installed the following kit from Rockauto same as OEM but coated to prevent rusting.
POWER STOP CRK5936 Evolution Geomet® Coated Kit ; Click Info for full list of components. Info
Front And Rear $140.79 as The Speed Bump is bone stock and not modified in anyway I saw no reason for the High performance options. I am not sure I believe all the hype about drilled and slotted rotors.

·
Premium Member
5,916 Posts
I don't need pads or rotors yet, but when I do, I intend on getting the OEM's from the 2016 CR-Z. They are a slightly larger rotor. Sorry, I don't know of the quality of the Hart Brakes, but if you're going through rotors like that, I'd just go with the Harts and see how they do. Not a fan of slotted & drilled, except for the looks, but I am actually in the process of fabricating air ducts to go from the fog light bezels to the front brakes...work in progress (got the idea from the set-up on the new Civic Type R's air vents to the front brakes.)

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you want cheap, OEM, and more heat capacity, the RSX-S swap is well tested.

+1 to litz on the drilled: pretty, but not what you want for the track or mountains
Choosing Brake Rotors

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
Just a side note. Sometimes brake rotors warp if the wheels are not torqued properly. If the Monkey putting your wheels back on does not use the star pattern and goes in a circle that can put undue pressure on the brake rotor causing it to warp. This is why whenever my wheels are removed I retorque the lug nuts in the parking lot with my own breaker bar and torque wrench.

The kit I got for the Speed Bump ( first brake replacement at just short of 73000 miles) Back brakes were shot, front had more life left but I decided to do all four corners. Not drilled not slotted ceramic brake pads same as OEM but coated as I said.

@litz if you go for the 2016 how will you compensate for the larger rotor size? Who is the OEM for the Honda Brakes? I doubt Honda actually makes them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huh. I'd always just assumed drilled was better for heat dissipation but after hearing opinions here and doing some Googling it seems that isn't the case. :unsure:

@Crash That RSX swap looks pretty rad. I might look at that long term.

@Spdbump A good point on the wheel bolts. I had to go to a tire shop I'm not a big fan of to get the brand of winter tires I wanted at a reasonable price and I should have re-torqued them myself. This issue didn't start until the winter months awhile after I had the tires swapped which is suspicious since I am MUCH harder on the brakes in the summer when a scenic road is open that has miles of sharp curves and steep elevation changes (?).

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
I saw a show or read an article on drilling or slotting rotors and if I remember correctly if not done right it can cause fractures of the rotors, also reduced surface area some so can cause less braking due to loss of friction. Lots of hype and misinformation about this. If a race car with long periods of applications and heat some of the supposed benefits maybe true but we drive CR-Zs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the exact kit. Drilled slotted all the way around. Have had them on for a few months and I like them. Noticeable improvement over stock in my opinion

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback. My wobble/shake has decreased significantly after my dealer rotated my tires without asking for free ? (didn't buy from them) and my pads still have 5mm but I'd still like to upgrade all the way around. Will probably order the Hart kit.

I have the exact kit. Drilled slotted all the way around. Have had them on for a few months and I like them. Noticeable improvement over stock in my opinion

1 - 9 of 9 Posts