Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rest of the car is so smoothly quiet on the road, that's what makes this kind of annoying. I have even sat in the cargo area trying to pinpoint it while a buddy drives around. It's not a heavy clank, nor super loud, more like small metal creaking or even wires rubbing and creaking. The pic shows where I have gotten close to it, but I can't go further without taking off more panel, and I'm not sure how. I wanted to take off the taillight and see if that eliminated it, that would be great, but after removing the 2 bolts, I can't get it to come off. Anybody have anything like this? Here is a pic of where it's generally coming from. I've tried different things but I'm not getting it yet. And yes, I've tried to ignore it but it's too pesky! I'm worried it's in there behind the first wall, and too deep to touch. Thanks for any ideas.
Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Automotive design Vehicle door

·
Registered
579 Posts
I fixed a few rattles and creaks in the back of the car. Maybe this can help you. Here is the list:
  1. The hatch creaked. I fixed this by turning the round rubber support points on the hatch. These can be extended by turning, which puts more pressure on the hatch.
  2. The cargo cover creaked at the two ‘pins’ where you lock it in the cutouts. I put some foam tape in the cutouts, which fixed the creak.
  3. The small covers on the tail light units rattled a bit. These rattles weren’t that noticeable, but it put a small piece of tape on both covers (one on each side). These black plastic covers are visisible when you open the hatch. These covers cover the screws that keep the tail light in place.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
The taillight has a friction-fit nipple thing, it's towards the top and is metal and just presses into a grommet in the body to help hold the light in place before it's secured so if you've removed all the threaded fasteners that secure it to the body then pull on the light assembly, carefully.

The panel in the photo (rear interior side lining) comes off after first you remove the rear seat/partition divider pieces and the rear cover by the tailgate latch (it's underlapped by that panel).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Totally unrelated to yours, but I took off the driver's door card to install a new door handle yesterday. When I picked it up, I could hear something sliding around the cavity created by the lower pocket. Didn't want to undo the plastic welds so I just it left in there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fixed a few rattles and creaks in the back of the car. Maybe this can help you. Here is the list:
  1. The hatch creaked. I fixed this by turning the round rubber support points on the hatch. These can be extended by turning, which puts more pressure on the hatch.
  2. The cargo cover creaked at the two ‘pins’ where you lock it in the cutouts. I put some foam tape in the cutouts, which fixed the creak.
  3. The small covers on the tail light units rattled a bit. These rattles weren’t that noticeable, but it put a small piece of tape on both covers (one on each side). These black plastic covers are visisible when you open the hatch. These covers cover the screws that keep the tail light in place.
Thanks! This will give me some possible causes to eliminate, and though I think it's from back in the rear corner, at least I'll get closer to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The taillight has a friction-fit nipple thing, it's towards the top and is metal and just presses into a grommet in the body to help hold the light in place before it's secured so if you've removed all the threaded fasteners that secure it to the body then pull on the light assembly, carefully.

The panel in the photo (rear interior side lining) comes off after first you remove the rear seat/partition divider pieces and the rear cover by the tailgate latch (it's underlapped by that panel).
Super, so I need to use a bit more "gentle" persuasion to pull out the light after unscrewing the bolts under the cover. And, sorry for the confusion, for the panel that's still in place in the photo, you mean remove the actual part that flips up to form a "back seat" or do you mean remove something on the cargo floor? I do understand what you mean though, about the rear tailgate latch cover. Anyway, thanks and of course I'll report back if I find the cause.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Totally unrelated to yours, but I took off the driver's door card to install a new door handle yesterday. When I picked it up, I could hear something sliding around the cavity created by the lower pocket. Didn't want to undo the plastic welds so I just it left in there.
Totally get it. It's always a victory when you are able to not damage the plastic welds or grommets. And at least you know where the sound comes from!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Super, so I need to use a bit more "gentle" persuasion to pull out the light after unscrewing the bolts under the cover. And, sorry for the confusion, for the panel that's still in place in the photo, you mean remove the actual part that flips up to form a "back seat" or do you mean remove something on the cargo floor? I do understand what you mean though, about the rear tailgate latch cover. Anyway, thanks and of course I'll report back if I find the cause.
Yes. First time it'll feel like somethings going to break. I was wrong it's not metal it's plastic but here's an image, off-white hex-head with protrusion thing, it pops into a grommet in the body and it holds the taillight in until the screws are installed. There's also an alignment tab on the side so just pull the light straight back.

And yes, that side panel is one huge piece so the middle stuff all needs to be removed before you can pop it out.

I'd try and pin down the sound better. Maybe try riding around in the trunk again and pressing on various parts to see if you can get the noise to stop when it's occurring then you'll know for sure.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I"m inclined to think its your upper rear shock mounts.mine squeaked for a while, but I replaced them with urethane mounts.
Yeah, creaking is more of a suspension movement sound. OP could ride around in the back again and put hand on the shock mount while its making the sound, might feel the vibration from the creak. Could also be the hatch creaking like TNThomas suggested and applying pressure to various parts while listening to the sound may better narrow it down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. First time it'll feel like somethings going to break. I was wrong it's not metal it's plastic but here's an image, off-white hex-head with protrusion thing, it pops into a grommet in the body and it holds the taillight in until the screws are installed. There's also an alignment tab on the side so just pull the light straight back.

And yes, that side panel is one huge piece so the middle stuff all needs to be removed before you can pop it out.

I'd try and pin down the sound better. Maybe try riding around in the trunk again and pressing on various parts to see if you can get the noise to stop when it's occurring then you'll know for sure.
Thanks for the diagram. Now that I see what it involves to remove that panel, I'll first take another ride in the back to be sure of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I"m inclined to think its your upper rear shock mounts.mine squeaked for a while, but I replaced them with urethane mounts.
Thanks. You mean the black round bushing under the nut in the pic? Def could be. I saw that unit moving up and down during the ride, now I'm going to check it more closely. I thought the sound was coming from deeper inside the metal wall, caused by something I couldn't see or get to, but I'd love to be wrong.

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,447 Posts
Thanks. You mean the black round bushing under the nut in the pic? Def could be. I saw that unit moving up and down during the ride, now I'm going to check it more closely. I thought the sound was coming from deeper inside the metal wall, caused by something I couldn't see or get to, but I'd love to be wrong.
yes, precisely. there's a mating one on the other side of the sheet metal, in the wheelwell.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How is it going on ?

I have been having the same rattle in the back, on the right side. I fought hard to find something, honestly nothing breathtaking for now...

I ended up in the same conclusion as yours. I'm considering something about the shocks mount not going well, especially because it's not always the case, it depends of the temperature !

You can also look at the bottom of the hatch, next to the battery, there is on each sides a 45° metal bar surely helping for the rigidity of the rear, maintained by 2 bolts. Those can get a tiny loose and a "clonk" noise can get through the metal wall of the car. It didn't fixed the issue in my case, but it fixed rear rattles for some.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How is it going on ?

I have been having the same rattle in the back, on the right side. I fought hard to find something, honestly nothing breathtaking for now...

I ended up in the same conclusion as yours. I'm considering something about the shocks mount not going well, especially because it's not always the case, it depends of the temperature !

You can also look at the bottom of the hatch, next to the battery, there is on each sides a 45° metal bar surely helping for the rigidity of the rear, maintained by 2 bolts. Those can get a tiny loose and a "clonk" noise can get through the metal wall of the car. It didn't fixed the issue in my case, but it fixed rear rattles for some.
Hi, and thanks for the ideas! Unfortunately I've had a lot of time to hear it, but not time to take apart panels further yet, as I'm using the car for work a bit much lately, which I hate. Yup it's definitely right rear corner. I'm thinking it's coming from inside, since it's not extremely loud, just extremely annoying! Still I'm going to lube the shock bushings with a silicone type lube. I'll check out those hatch bar bolts for sure. If I have to I'm going to drive it with the right rear taillight assembly removed just to eliminate that as a source. I couldn't find the source of the noise with the one access panel removed, so I may remove that whole side as discussed. It seems too far to the right and too low in the back to be the rear hatch itself. Keep ya posted....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also checked my rear lights when I encourtered this noise in the rear, and it wasn't the issue.

If it's not around the rear shock, then it's something behind the plastic walls being a tiny loose. But even when pulling out everything as much as possible, I never found something moving there ! I may try to have a tour in my car while sitting in the trunk to find, like you, the exact spot ahah

I have no idea how difficult is it to replace silicon shock heads, and who knows, maybe it's actually the shock being shot ? Mine has less than 100.000km (<62k miles) so it would be very surprising !

Keep us posted ! Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I also checked my rear lights when I encourtered this noise in the rear, and it wasn't the issue.

If it's not around the rear shock, then it's something behind the plastic walls being a tiny loose. But even when pulling out everything as much as possible, I never found something moving there ! I may try to have a tour in my car while sitting in the trunk to find, like you, the exact spot ahah

I have no idea how difficult is it to replace silicon shock heads, and who knows, maybe it's actually the shock being shot ? Mine has less than 100.000km (<62k miles) so it would be very surprising !

Keep us posted ! Cheers
Thanks for the input. And yes, like you I now think it's behind the plastic panels, but couldn't find it during the drive. But I had only taken off the small access door. So now I'm going to remove more plastic to get to what's behind it. Very puzzling, but I'll report back after I take out that whole right rear side and sit in the cargo area again during a drive--with flashlight!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is a metal bracket / brace behind the rear panels (both left and right) that might be your cause.
Thanks for the idea. I'm wondering is it visible when the big right rear side panel (not just the little door) is removed? With just the little door removed, like in the picture, I can hear the sound in there when the car is on the road, but I can't reach anything to stop it. So I'm figuring the big panel must come off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts