Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
541 - 560 of 612 Posts

· Modified 2016
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #541 ·
Well... I'm taking a break on doing any mods to Godspeed. I have a couple things planned but those are being put on the back burner while I finish working on my Mustang. My engine is finally done and shipping out to the shop this week. What you see here is a fully built 2.3L 4 cyl that will be paired up with a dual ceramic ball bearing turbo to make around 500 HP on E85. The end goal is a 500 HP capable 4 cyl Mustang that will also serve dual purpose as a 30 MPG highway cruiser.

Reactions: litz and Fediej

· Modified 2016
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 ·
What year mustang is it going into?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
It's a 2017 Mustang. I blew up the stock 2.3 motor so I'm putting in the built one so it never happens again.

Reactions: rupps5

· Registered
2,779 Posts
Well... I'm taking a break on doing any mods to Godspeed. I have a couple things planned but those are being put on the back burner while I finish working on my Mustang. My engine is finally done and shipping out to the shop this week. What you see here is a fully built 2.3L 4 cyl that will be paired up with a dual ceramic ball bearing turbo to make around 500 HP on E85. The end goal is a 500 HP capable 4 cyl Mustang that will also serve dual purpose as a 30 MPG highway cruiser.
I like your optimism. It started as a 300hp, 30mpg pump gas cruiser. What all has been done to it that will allow it to make 200 hp more and still get the 30 mpg running on fuel that is notoriously known for worse mileage?

· Modified 2016
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #545 ·
I like your optimism. It started as a 300hp, 30mpg pump gas cruiser. What all has been done to it that will allow it to make 200 hp more and still get the 30 mpg running on fuel that is notoriously known for worse mileage?
It's getting an upgraded dual ceramic ball bearing turbo and the entire fuel system has been upgraded. I'll be hitting somewhere around 30+psi boost with my 19psi wastegate. I already have a full exhaust/downpipe and intake on the setup. As long as I stay out of boost the 2.3 engine is pretty decent at maintaining 30+MPG. Those that go duel fuel end up with lower MPG so I opted to stick with just upgrading the DI fuel system. I'm pretty sure my city milage will suffer a bit with this build but highway MPG should stay pretty consistent. I'll probably make low 400's on 93 pump which is where I'll get my 30MPG. E85 will get me in the low 500's but I'll see lower MPG.

Reactions: Fediej

· Modified 2016
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #546 ·
Finally got my Mustang towed to the shop so i was able to clear a spot in my garage to park the CRZ. should take 2-3 weeks to finish my Mustang then i can continue on the path to a 400 HP 30MPG highway cruiser.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Vehicle registration plate Car
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

· Modified 2016
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #547 ·
More parts for the 16. I'm adding a K series 1 way LSD. Should make for a more engaging drive on twisty roads.

Reactions: qorax

· Modified 2016
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #549 ·
Que? How does that work? K series has 27 spline inner CV joints while the CR-Z uses 25 spline.
I've heard others say a K20 LSD will drop into a CRZ. Honda sells an LSD for the CRZ as an HPD accessory BTW...

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Bearings are the same and they are both a 10 bolt ring gear. However 10 bolt ring gear does not mean same ID or bolt circle. And for sure the spline counts are different. K series inner joints are monsters when put next to CR-Z parts.

Well now I am not sure, maybe they are 27 spline on a smaller joint? Looking at the part number for the 2016 CR-Z differential it is the same as the 8th gen Civic non SI. And those are all showing 27 spline inner joints on the after market halfshafts.

Wavetrac lists an LSD for K series and CR-Z but when you go to the details page on the part number the CR-Z is not listed.

I think I still have a 27 spline half shaft from a 9th gen SI laying around. I will have to go see if that slips in the CR-Z trans I have. That would be really interesting, but still not a direct replacement as the outer is 28 spline.

· Modified 2016
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #552 ·
I have no idea how this happened but I found a crack in my CF hood. Hopefully it's just the clear coat gel and can be fixed at a body shop. Wouldn't hurt to reclear the hood before summer.

· Modified 2016
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #553 ·
Finally serviced my car today. Oil and trans fluid changed out on the car. Also put a new drive belt on. Transmission is running and shifting sooooo much smoother with fresh fluid.

· Modified 2016
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #554 ·
Its finally happening! I've been putting off installing my pillowballs on my BC Racing suspension since way back when I was running it on my old 11. Finally got some time to get it installed this weekend. Cant wait to see how the car handles with it installed on the BC Racing suspension. Will totally complete my suspension setup.
Household hardware Gas Metal Composite material Fashion accessory

Reactions: litz

· Modified 2016
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #555 ·
Finally got my pillowballs installed with the help of @96firephoenix. Still need to adjust the ride height and get an alignment but car feels much better around corners. Previous shop that attempted to install them on BC Racing could said they got too much noise. All we had to do was adjust the spring preload a bit to remove the play. For the most part I'm not experiencing any more noise than I was on the factory rubber mounts.

· Modified 2016
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #556 ·
Getting my ride height adjusted and an alignment done today. Haven't let my previous speed shop touch a thing on the car. Its either been some diesel mechanic or myself or @96firephoenix for this last part. So far everything has turned out mint on the car. Alignments and ride height adjustments have been done by an auto shop that also does performance work on the car and they have been pretty good at getting my alignment dialed in. Id like to say I'm nearing the end of what I want to do to the CRZ but I'm sure there will be something else that I want to do down the road. I think LSD is gonna be one of the last things I'd like to do to the CRZ before the Dragon meet this year.

Reactions: 96firephoenix

· Modified 2016
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #557 ·
The shop that failed at installing the pillowballs with the BC Racing suspension probably didnt install them correctly because after @96firephoenix got them installed and buttoned up we took the car for a test ride and there was no noise. The only thing we noticed was a slightly harsher ride due to the stiffer front mounts and extra spring preload on the coilovers. My factory rubber mount bearings were also pretty toasted so it was good that I replaced them when I did.

· Modified 2016
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #559 ·
Today is a happy day for me. Reached out to insane shafts one more time using a different email and got a quick response about the availability of some CRZ axles. $500 later and I should have some 500HP axles in the next few weeks. Not that I will ever be hitting 500HP on the 16 but having a set of reliable axles to replace the crusty stock ones will give me some peace of mind.

· Modified 2016
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #560 ·
Just got some SS line for my rear brakes. Unfortunatly Stoptech advertises them as only fitting 11-15 CRZ models. According to @96firephoenix the rear lines on a 16 are shorter then 11-15 so in theory these SS lines should fit on my 16 but they might extend out a bit longer then on an 11-15. I guess well see if they fit. Im still researching what pads and rotors to go with but might end up just getting OE quality since the front Wilwood does most of the braking. Ill be doing a full bleed with some Castrol SRF React racing brake fluid.
Product Material property Automotive tire Font Tire

541 - 560 of 612 Posts