Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I want a Blue EX 6MT. I have a trade which I will be paying off in December with some bonus money. The dealer near me has a Blue EX W/NAV 6MT that is supposed to be in any day since the delivery day was Sept 27th. The stumbling blocks I see are, it has the $1800 NAV option that I dont really need. My trade has a $4000 balance that would have to roll into my new loan if I buy before December. Both of those things will add to my new monthly payment of course. BUT, if I can get a good enough deal on my trade in and a good enough deal on the price of the new CR-Z, I will actually consider buy it. They have the VIN so I am going tonight to see what kind of numbers they are talking and see how far off from my numbers they are. LOL Cause we all know my trade isnt worth anything to them and the new car is worth GOLD to them.

BUT Im going to try anyway.

J

· Registered
106 Posts
Always be ready to walk away. There will be more cars later.

I wanted the car now so I compromised on color. However, I made that decision before I ever got there. I sit down with myself and make all those decisions beforehand. I decide on my maximum price. My entire goal is to get to where I have already decided to be before I ever get into negotiations.

They want to sell the car to you more then anything else. Don't tell them what you need to happen tell them what HAS to happen to get you into the car. Smile and be firm.

My dealership was not happen why I told them I would not pay for a single upgrade they did to the car and that because they did not want to budge on them, I'd wait until an unmodified one came around.

Also, don't let them talk trade until you are finished the price of the new car. They may be generous with the new car because they plan to screw you in the trade. Just hold your numbers close.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be ready to walk away, don't settle for the price they give you if your not comfortable paying for it! New Cars Pricing and Comparisons Local, Regional and National Car Price Reports at TrueCar and New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com will give you an idea of what kind of price you should pay for the CRZ. Happy hunting.
I am MORE than willing to walk away and wait for the right car at the right price.

I have been doing nothing but researching all those websites and more for two weeks now. I have a limit set already. We are trading in my wife's truck, and I am parking my truck during the week. The gas I am saving by parking my truck during the week is the MAX I will pay for Gas/Insurance/Payment for the new CR-Z. I already can figure how much gas I will use and I know how much Insurance will be, so I know what my max payment can be to stay in my range, and I have also figured out about what the Out The Door price has to be. Infact I am so tired of doing all this research and playing with numbers for two weeks that I actually quit thinking about the car and actually started doing work while Im at work :rotfl:

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O and I already told my salesman DO NOT add any options to the car when it comes in, and do NOT add their appearance package that this dealer adds to every car on their lot. The appearance package is a $899 dealer added option. It consists of Nitrogen in the tires, wheel locks, truck mat and mud flaps.... $899 ????? yea right

· Registered
106 Posts
Got to love them. The dealership I went to stopped playing games after a bit. They expected to get me at financing I think. Oh well.

I love the "But we have to... we don't have a choice..." I looked at my guy and said, "Take off your dealerships decal. Now."

· Registered
51 Posts
O and I already told my salesman DO NOT add any options to the car when it comes in, and do NOT add their appearance package that this dealer adds to every car on their lot. The appearance package is a $899 dealer added option. It consists of Nitrogen in the tires, wheel locks, truck mat and mud flaps.... $899 ????? yea right
lmao, I bet they add on the "$2,000 paint sealer* (glorified wax job by a 16 year old...)

· Registered
56 Posts
Push for a little more than they may initially give you for trade, and insist on some kind of a discount, but don't expect them to come up $1500 from their initial quote on the trade and sell you the CR-Z at $500 under invoice when there's no marketing support, nor reason to give away cars which are still uncommon in the market.

If you're reasonable, they'll be reasonable. While it may not be universally so, most of my fellow car salesmen are good folks, deal in an honest fashion, and provide curteous, reliable, and knowledgeable service to our customers. Don't expect them to give an inch of money past what they have to however, nor fault them for asking on more than one occasion (without being a pest) for the business. That should be expected and they would fail and be fired in the long run otherwise. You would do the same so put yourself in their shoes.

As an aside, I've found that the successful salesmen do many of the same things as the unsuccessful ones. It seems that the failing ones simply lack the skill to show persistence and attempt to hold money in their valuable product without annoying their clients. That's the key. It's not what the salesman does or says, but how they say and do it. On more than one occasion I've done business with a client who came in and had to deal with a pushy salesman before visiting with me. Of course, I also try to hold money in my product, and asked for same day business, but I'm friendly, build a rapport first, demonstrate my eagerness to be helpful and my product knowledge. I also identify my customer's threshhold for me asking for the business and negotiation. Sometimes it's best to just to back off and pick things up with a fresh perspective on the next day and maintain good rapport. I try to remind folks that car salesmen aren't masocists. Negotiating, is a requirement of the job, but it's certainly my least favorite part. As long as a client aren't being rude and giving me the Heisman Trophy the whole damn time, I really just enjoy getting to know the various folks who come through my doors.

It is really odd how some customers (the minority mind you) will come through the door and treat their salesman like crap, acting aggressively toward him or her and outright lying at times, and feel morally justified merely because their profession is "car salesman" despite the fact that the salesman may genuinely be a nice person. They ultimately behave in exactly the way they hate ironically.

Most folks are reasonable though, and reasonable folks understand the car sales is what it is, and if you have a good rapport with someone, when it comes down to negotiating, you really can both just "agree to disagree" hope that you can come to terms, and if not, part as friends.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They want to sell me the CR-Z at full retail with full destination charge and $499 documentation fee plus tax. They wanted to give me 50% of retail as trade-in.
I said NO. They came a little closer but not enough for me to take a car that had an $1800 option that I didnt want to begin with. So we left.
Now the hunt starts for the car with NO NAV that I really want.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most folks are reasonable though, and reasonable folks understand the car sales is what it is, and if you have a good rapport with someone, when it comes down to negotiating, you really can both just "agree to disagree" hope that you can come to terms, and if not, part as friends.
We did part friends and I will give them another chance in December when my trade in is paid off, if they are willing to get the car I want with out NAV.

· Registered
106 Posts
I'm polite. I won't give ground and I won't be walked over. I've had the classic bad sales stuff happen, I've caught the switches, the lies and all the things that make people hate car sales.

It does not make me trusting. The sales person may be a decent human being, but most are not out for my best interest. They are selling a product and I am buying a product. Unlike many products, this is one where we have to barter for a price. I hate it with a passion but I am not going to lay down and be walked on.

I am also in a profession were most people assume I am a jerk. Its part of the job we choose sometimes. One can choose to be a decent person. That is the one that gets my business. I don't mind a fair price but I do mind being sold BS.

· Registered
15 Posts
Good luck on the buy. I got mine out the door for 24100. That included what appears to be a good tint job. That was for the cvt ex without navigation. I think I could have done better if I shopped around more but my 2000 civic blew an a/c compressor so in repairing it and selling it on my own. The crz I got had 60 miles on it which isn't too bad.

· Registered
50 Posts
They want to sell me the CR-Z at full retail with full destination charge and $499 documentation fee plus tax. They wanted to give me 50% of retail as trade-in.
I said NO. They came a little closer but not enough for me to take a car that had an $1800 option that I didnt want to begin with. So we left.
Now the hunt starts for the car with NO NAV that I really want.
The documentation fee is a joke but them trying to sell you the car at full price isn't. The car hasn't been sitting on the lot for awhile and there's alot of interest in the car with only a few at each dealer. Plus the first yr a car comes out, sales are the largest. You might wanna wait till end of next year if you want a good deal.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE: last night the dealer offered me $7500 for my trade and and we laughed and they explained to me how generous they where being. Well today we took the truck to Carmax and they offered us $9000 cash for the truck.

So now I have a little more info to negotiate with PLUS I am working with 2 dealers to get me the car I want.

I WILL get this car sooner or later.

· Registered
693 Posts
UPDATE: last night the dealer offered me $7500 for my trade and and we laughed and they explained to me how generous they where being. Well today we took the truck to Carmax and they offered us $9000 cash for the truck.

So now I have a little more info to negotiate with PLUS I am working with 2 dealers to get me the car I want.

I WILL get this car sooner or later.
Keep in mind the effect of sales tax on the trade-in amount.

In most states, you only pay sales tax on the cash portion of your transaction. So a trade-in value of $7500 actually reduces the amount you would pay in the end by $8193 at 9.25% sales tax, which if I remember correctly is what you pay in Memphis.

So $9000 is still more than $7500, but if the dealer came up to $8200, you might be better trading.

Also there are 5 speed Blue CRX EXs in Fairfield, OH (only non navi), Cincinnati, OH, Kingsport, TN and Covington, LA.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.